Airfix 1:72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (fabric wings)

Hi all,

Today I'm presenting my attempt at one of Airfix's starter sets, which is the Hurricane Mk.I I snapped up from Lidl when they were last selling Airfix kits for a fiver. This is a basic, out of the box build so I haven't gone for any additional detailing or aftermarket decals. Nice little kit to build and went together nicely. According to the box, this Hurricane was in No. 615 Squadron, Royal Air Force Kenley, England, August, 1940, so I decided that due to the frequency of sorties at the time and limited resources, it might be a little bit more weathered and went about getting a weathered effect using an all over oil wash and removed it after rather than using panel lining techniques. I think it made a nice effect in the ribbing of the wings, if a little subtle. The decals unfortunately have silvered a bit after I gloss varnished and I was impatient using plastic glue to get the canopy to sit in the open position so it ruined the clear effect. Didn't fancy walking a few feet to get my PVA glue...

Anyway, let me know what you think, there are a few mistakes as I've mentioned but feedback helps and I hope I've done a good job in replicating a battle-worn Hurricane!

1106681-1%3A72%20Hawker%20Hurricane%20MK

1106680-1%3A72%20Hawker%20Hurricane%20MK

1106683-1%3A72%20Hawker%20Hurricane%20MK

1106682-1%3A72%20Hawker%20Hurricane%20MK

1106685-1%3A72%20Hawker%20Hurricane%20MK

1106684-1%3A72%20Hawker%20Hurricane%20MK

1106686-1%3A72%20Hawker%20Hurricane%20MK

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

That looks like an excellent rendition of a Battle of Britain Hurricane. I think you've got the weathering just right, used but not abused. Great stuff, Geo!

Cheers,

Mark

That looks really good!  I really like this kit, and bought one from Lidl last winter.  Since then more have entered the stash - I got two more last week when I found them for £4.40 on Amazon (just the kit, not the starter set).

• Like 1

One downside for me.  The demacation between the topside camo colours seems too soft.

If you look at contemporary pictures is appears as a really hard line.

I do like your modelling skills.

Neat, tidy and apart from the positioning of the open canopy (a difficult trick to pull off)  it's really good.

Better than anything I produce.

I think you've done a nice job of that.

Your weathering really sells the war-weary look very well.

The silvering of the decals isn't that noticeable either - perhaps a little touching up with a brush could disguise it more.

All round a very nice build.

:goodjob:

That definitely looks the part.

If the silvering bothers you, you can very gently scratch the surface with a new scalpel blade and then run some Microsol over it. Or try a bit of Tamiya X-20 thinner. Not too much of that though.