Airfix 1/144 Concorde 001 F-WTSS

This is the original issue Airfix kit and I bought it back in 1969!!!!!

I refined it a bit - added front windscreen windows, reshaped the exhaust areas of the engines and added a splitter plate down the centre of the intakes.  I also added the airbrakes, the fairings along the top of the fuselage, nose strakes and probe, the fairings under the wings for the control surface actuators and I filled the cabin windows that were closed off on the prototypes.

When it came time to decal it, I realized the decals I made for the company names, the logo and the wing serials are too small.  I also could not get the fin stripes and serials to fit in the correct positions and think that to get that right, I would have to reposition the fairings for the rudder actuators and the kit was too near complete to do that.   I have not glossed over the decals as I may, and only may, one day take off the decals and try getting the fin stripes and lettering to be accurate.   Also, the decal paper I used this time seems thicker than usual and is quite visible. 

So, disappointingly, it's not an accurate replica of 001 but I think it captures the spirit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I just noticed looking at these pics that I forgot a frame in the cockpit side windows and the spine antennae - sorry. 

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

David

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Very nice looking Concorde.

Superbly build and painted.

I also recently finished mine,although painted in Lufthansa colors.

Now that the weather is getting better,I may be able to take some decent pictures to show it on  BM as well.

• Thanks 1

Looks good!

I have 2 of the re-issue and am planning to built G-BSST and the BOAC schemes.  I got my decals from F-DCAL but if it looks as good as this I'll be happy!

• Thanks 1

It very much captures the spirit and it looks superb, I can see it blasting in and out of Fairford!

• Thanks 1

Nice to see this one. I did mine as G-BSST using decals from F-DCAL. I know that the kit isn't exactly the prototype but I never did a search for what differ. It is sad that it never flew in the BOAC colours. It would have looked great in those.

• Thanks 1