An allied airfield somewhere in Europe late WWII - 1:72 scene

My big dive into dioramas-

First attempt - maybe bit off more than I could chew but had fun doing it and learned heaps along the wayspacer.png

Overall view (low res phone pic  sorry) showing layout- background was hand painted in acrylic paint as part of project

spacer.png

"Check point" and machine gun post

y4mrltQMriPV4BO8DfIhYsHQm0KtarKUaD_0BhqG

Bofors installation and support vehicles

y4mlEIQKPrytGpwCiPx-EowM-mfYnyPhRjkhhAmV

lookout tower

y4mD0BeKiQvHgZWXJSOfL8CX6V6xB8FSjl6VrbQa

another view showing Typhoon being prepped.

Kits comprised Airfix WWII RAF set, and Typhoon

landscape/terrain based on foam base with plaster of paris surface, covered with soil etc

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

A lovely set of plane, vehicles and figures, and a great backdrop. Very creative modelling! It appears the Typhoon got diverted to a forward USAAF base.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 02:14, Toryu said:

A lovely set of plane, vehicles and figures, and a great backdrop. Very creative modelling! It appears the Typhoon got diverted to a forward USAAF base.

Ha Ha- no- only the Ambulance and Jeep was diverted from a US base...  :P 

• 2 months later...

Thanks Selwyn- thats what happens when you follow the Airfix paint guide it appears.  I just found the thread with your comments on re this tanker.  Ill take your comment right on the cheek, and justify my actions by claiming beginners mistake....   :) 

Excellent first start with dioramas, Oldfarte! And with my favorite plane too, what’s not to like!

Just a suggestion but I’d paint the white edges to blend in with the rest of the scheme.

Nice job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldefarte said:

Thanks Selwyn- thats what happens when you follow the Airfix paint guide it appears.  I just found the thread with your comments on re this tanker.  Ill take your comment right on the cheek, and justify my actions by claiming beginners mistake....   :) 

You wouldn't be the first or last to do this. The Airfix Bedford tanker was used from 1941 into the late 50's. The common mistakes are seeing it in BoB dioramas , it didn't come into service to after the BoB,  painting it Blue/ Yellow,  RAF wartime vehicles were all painted to Army standards so brown or green base colours depending on time period, (should be the same colour scheme as the matador refueller) Never RAF Blue/Grey. (The RAF went to the blue kit colour scheme post 1948) The third is the boom refuelling system which was a postwar modification to the refueller. Just build it without the booms!

Selwyn

• Like 1

Wartime QL refuellers do seem to vary: I've not seen a photo of one looking just like the "kit without booms" but have seen variants with a dome partway along the top surface, and another with hose containers on the top/sides as Airfix provide with the AEC.  I've also seen postwar AECs with refuelling booms, so a good chance of cross-kitting there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Herrick said:

Excellent first start with dioramas, Oldfarte! And with my favorite plane too, what’s not to like!

Just a suggestion but I’d paint the white edges to blend in with the rest of the scheme.

Nice job!

Typhoon is a sweet looking machine!  

Have been contemplating what to do with the edges.  Think I will mount a (painted) facing around them and leave it tidy - thanks for the feedback!

23 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Wartime QL refuellers do seem to vary: I've not seen a photo of one looking just like the "kit without booms" but have seen variants with a dome partway along the top surface, and another with hose containers on the top/sides as Airfix provide with the AEC.  I've also seen postwar AECs with refuelling booms, so a good chance of cross-kitting there.

There are  a few variants, The Army used them as vehicle fuel tankers as well, so there are detail differences and pertuberances on the top of the tank or not, but it would take a bit of reasearch to narrow down the changes. I have seen pictures of very unkempt  RAF examples, one notable has the drivers door completly missing! Now there is a diorama!

Selwyn

• 3 weeks later...