Airfix Classic boxing of 1/24th Spitfire

Paul J

I have been handed  the above as a commission build.(haven't decided on what to charge the build for yet.... )only happy to do this as I have never built the big scale Spit before. One thing that stood out on opening the box was the colour diagram sheet for the markings option. Its the same on both sides!!! Only the KL-B coded option given but the decals are still the same. Has anyone else found this?  I might get in touch with Airfix about it... doesn't bother me but may upset other buyers of the kit.  As for the plastic it really is showing its age. Something for me to get my knife and glue stuck in to.

Hi Paul,

I can't answer your specific question although Charlie @Johnson has been working through this kit, dutifully recorded in a WIP. Charlie's been changing the title to the stage he is at but it is the full build. Worth checking out.

Ray 

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I just bought the latest ‘Vintage Classic’ boxing of this kit and mine was exactly the same. I’ve got somewhere the correct colour instructions for the other option; LO B ‘BOGUS’ which I can PM to you if you want them. It’s a great kit and quite accurate, but certainly has it’s challenges.

The other mistake Airfix made with this kit was on their website they describe the markings options for the previous boxing i.e. DW-K and QJ-B, a mistake continued by all the retailers! Most confusing.

On 25/05/2021 at 23:08, Johnson said:

Hi Paul,

I just bought the latest ‘Vintage Classic’ boxing of this kit and mine was exactly the same. I’ve got somewhere the correct colour instructions for the other option; LO B ‘BOGUS’ which I can PM to you if you want them. It’s a great kit and quite accurate, but certainly has it’s challenges.

The other mistake Airfix made with this kit was on their website they describe the markings options for the previous boxing i.e. DW-K and QJ-B, a mistake continued by all the retailers! Most confusing.

Thanks Charlie but It doesn't bother me.. just makes my choice easier. Anyway its not for me but my mew friend, the heating engineer/plumber. He will dangle the build from the roof in his mancave and is talking about wanting to have a 109 next. And from my experience the 109 is a better kit. This Spitfire is the first time I have tried it... so far is a surprising experience shall we say.  But I am loving your build.

• Like 1