Hms dragon 1/700 cyber-hobby

I want to ultimately build a couple of popular  historic ww2 RN ships (who doesn't) , so i thought I'd get my sea legs on with some less taxing  stash victims first,( i have a few kits of modern destroyers and frigates to test out my pe work on,  but I've got in the stash one  kit that is getting nearer to the top  , i know its been done to death, but its well loved,  its the hood in 1/700 with ,wooden deck , flyhawk etch ,brass barrels and some tiny resin bits, i just want to see if I'm  up to the task of taking it on,) so a  modern RN victim for starters  ,this the  RN  type 45 ,as hms dragon, i  recently bought  the flyhawk etch set  for it from a popular grocery store in the far east .  but when i opened the model  kit box i forgot that i also had the white ensign pe set ,(I'm  getting old , and I've had the kit a good few years) also  I've  been a bit busy and distracted  of late so the build is well under way ,but ,still a bit of work to do  though,the pe is a mixture of both sets 

The samson radar airels from stretched srue are too long ,they will be cut down and the over size mounting holes filled before paint

8uR4yzr.jpg

The bridge pe ,in my view is worth the price of the etch kit alone ,

DmZLlPZ.jpg

None of the super structures are glued atm ,to ease the painting

VUtE16o.jpg

So still a lot to do

zdYSVmb.jpg

Cheers for looking in

Glynn

• Like 13

• 3 months later...
On 25/05/2021 at 17:07, Hewy said:

The bridge pe ,in my view is worth the price of the etch kit alone ,

Great work Glynn.  Only problem with that bridge (which I agree looks superb) is that it opens up the bridge so much that now you need to scratch build the interior...😀

I've done it once in 1/350; I wouldn't fancy it much in 1/700.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2021 at 08:44, Chewbacca said:

Great work Glynn.  Only problem with that bridge (which I agree looks superb) is that it opens up the bridge so much that now you need to scratch build the interior...😀

I've done it once in 1/350; I wouldn't fancy it much in 1/700.

😂this scale hurts my eyes as it is, thanks for the suggestion though 

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

That is really very impressive B)

Rob

Thanks rob

The masking has started , i gave it all a blow over with a light grey first to prime over the etch, then did the decks and masked them up on the hull, I'll  move on to the superstructures next, i removed the samson airels so i could handle the main bridge part, its very dainty,in my hands anyway, thanks all

P0Rvrf6.jpeg

p98UfgS.jpeg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Ray S said:

That is looking good, I hope it is giving you the confidence for the Hood! (and others).

Ray

Thanks ,It is ray,  I'm  yet to find a really good ca that sticks every time though (apart from my fingers of course 

My 1/700 collection,  i have pe sets for all of them

QSJUkwM.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking very nice.

I have the same kit to build some time, any flaws/ problems along the way?

Stuart

Thanks stuart👍 ,No problems at all , just the kit bridge ,in my opinion looks too low,or windows look wrong, the pe bridge really  adds a lot i reckon, its a nice fitting kit

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 14:13, Hewy said:

Thanks ,It is ray,  I'm  yet to find a really good ca that sticks every time though (apart from my fingers of course 

When you find one, do let us all into the secret please.  Zap extra thin isn't bad but even that has its off days (see my PUMA WIP thread for the latest evidence of that)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

When you find one, do let us all into the secret please.  Zap extra thin isn't bad but even that has its off days (see my PUMA WIP thread for the latest evidence of that

I'll  have a look at your puma build  ,I have used and still do use  zap extra thin in the pink bottle,  but it seems to loose its potency quite quickly though once opened,its imperative you keep the lid  on , or off as little as possible i have tried the locktite 60 sec with some success and it gives you time to manoeuvre the piece should you need to, I'm  testing out rocket atm , but that seems to be similar to zap in that the bottle is now about 3 weeks old and its sticking power is diminishing, i think more of the smaller tubes for freshness, but i like the zap thin's capillary action

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1