HA-1112 M-1L BUCHON***FINISHED 20/06/2021***

Seems I thought I had signed up for this but didn't, never mind. Here we go with what I hope will be at least a couple to join in to this GB with.

I've had this kit in the stash for a while now so needs to be built. It'll be OOB using the markings for the one on the box lid. Having experience of SH and AZ kits I'm sure it will not be a 'shake'n'bake' build but will be satisfying in the end. (Having said that the two SH P-40's I did were superb to put together but the parts on the sprues seemed better engineered with less flash to clean up).

I have two MiG-21's to finish before I start this, (as well as other builds on other GB's!) but should get the those two finished this week ready to start this on Saturday.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 15

Don't worry about not signing up as you're here now Davey and that's all that matters :D 

Nice subject choice - have to admit a slight bias as the Buchon always seems to get modelled in fake Luftwaffe markings so delighted to see one in Spanish colours B) Hopefully it goes together well but I'll wish you luck with getting the prop off those runner gates.

• Thanks 1

Having got the two MiG-21's finished, and SWMBO dragging me out into the sunshine over a couple of days, I've decided to get on with this (even though I have a Lancaster to continue with on the Unarmed GB).

This kit is a bit different to the two P-40's I did recently, the quality of the mouldings aren't quite as fine as those kits. I assembled the floor and bulkheads, gluing it into one half. While drying tested them in the fuselage halves just to check it would close up, needed a couple of minor adjustments but seems OK.

I've gone with the plastic instrument panel and rudder pedals which look quite good, I couldn't be bothered with the PE/Film sandwich!

Before adding the seat and joystick I painted the basic cockpit colour RLM66 (instruction call-out), will paint in some details and drybrush after.

I assembled the main wing and airbrushed the wheel-wells RLM02.

Initial test fitting of this into the fuselage assembly showed it shouldn't need any filler, which is nice!

Assembly OK so far, just annoying ejector pin marks, particularly inside the wings.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001

DSC_0002

DSC_0003

DSC_0004

DSC_0005

DSC_0006

DSC_0007

• Like 8

Here we have got the airframe together. I just kept the cockpit simple so just a couple of Blacked in areas then dry-brush, painted the belts off-white and a touch of silver for the buckles.  I have yet to clean-up the join behind the pilot and paint it, then add the shoulder belts.

The fuselage halves lined up fine, the wing to fuselage join was also good.  The upper and lower cowl parts went on Ok but I don't know why they have the radiator grill in etch, as it makes the fitting of the of the lower cowling part a bit more difficult. On my build the PE part made the plastic part not quite line up properly so I had to file a tiny part to suit under the nose. 

The lower cowl also was a bit too wide compared to the upper fuselage so had to be nipped together with a clamp, (this may be my fault or the my particular kit) but it had moved a bit when dry so I had do a little sanding to blend it into the upper side.

The wing radiators went on Ok with a bit of clean-up but when I tried the split flap parts they were going to be thicker than the area they seat in to (you can see in one of the photos where I have placed the part onto the upper flap), so I have glued the upper halves into place then will adjust the lower halves to suit.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0002

DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0006 DSC_0007

A lower flap part seated on the glued-in upper flap, showing how proud in stands compared to the radiator.

DSC_0005

• Like 9

On 5/25/2021 at 7:22 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

I have the exact same kit but have been putting off starting mine. I will watch yours with interest.

Cheers Greg 👍

Ditto.  This is looking good Davey.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys. 

Here's where we are so far.  I got the lower flap halves faired in, look Ok now I think.

DSC_0016

On 6/3/2021 at 7:18 PM, Dermo245 said:

Nice work Davey 👏
The canopy on mine needed a fair bit of fettling to fit.

Cheers,

Dermot

Mine did as well Dermot, had to shave a fair bit off the front and along the lower edges to get it to fit.

Propeller hub has a slight flaw to fill in.

Here we are before adding the canopy armour.

Care has to be taken the gunsight doesn't foul the canopy as well.

DSC_0018 DSC_0017

Here we are primed and ready to paint.... almost. Guess who forgot to add the etch wing fences?!

DSC_0019 DSC_0020

More soon.

Davey.

• Like 10

A 109 with the engine the right way up looks so meaty . i have a turn and bank indicator from one used in the filming of the battle of britain . My favourite shelf filler .

Some meaty guns too. Enjoy the painting .

cheers

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got some paint on over the weekend, did the undersides first , RLM 76 with a touch of Blue but I may have it too dark. I forgot to take a photo but all will be revealed after the uppers have been done.  Got the Olive Drab done, looks strange in the light of my workbench but it'll turn out Ok🙄.

More soon. Letting it harden off before masking for the Dark Green.

Davey.

DSC_0017 DSC_0018

• Like 9

On 6/15/2021 at 4:43 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Great paintwork, looking good 👍

Thanks Greg, I don't do anything scientific, just stick the paint in the airbrush and hope for the best! I find the Vallejo ModelAir works fine out of the bottle mostly, most of the shades look Ok to me.

Here we are with the decalling done. Just waiting to dry completely then another coat of Gloss ('Klear') before final Vallejo Matt Varnish.

The decals went on well but they are very thin and don't like being moved much!  The starboard fuselage roundel broke up but I managed to salvage it. Same couldn't be said of the same side rudder marking which broke up completely, I got most of it on and will touch in the rest with paint, along with a bit of the port one and the port fuselage flash. they were tricky to align properly and managed to poke holes in one with a cocktail stick!

I also remembered to add the small antenna(?) fairing under the fuselage rear.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

• Like 11

On 6/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good in those colours and markings. Nearing completion now 👍

On 6/16/2021 at 8:28 PM, modelling minion said:

She looks great Davey, nice to see one of these being built.

Thanks guys.

Here we are finished!  The first shot shows the final bits being painted before adding to the model.  The rocket rails were VERY fragile made worse by needing a fair bit of mould lines removing.  

DSC_0010 DSC_0011

I found it best to add the rockets to the rails before removing them from the sprue.

DSC_0012

..... and the final reveal!

Had a bit of a time putting those rocket rails on the model, getting a bit cack-handed as I get older, but they're on even if they aren't very straight!

Enjoyed building this, the main problem was the clean-up of mould marks from the small parts, very tedious.

See you in the Gallery.  I have four AZ Bf-109's in the stash but have a few GB's on the go so we'll see how I go with those before committing to another one on here.

Davey.

DSC_0013 DSC_0015

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• DaveyGair changed the title to HA-1112 M-1L BUCHON***FINISHED 20/06/2021***

That's looking great Davey👍 

gives me a bit of confidence to attempt mine now. Thanks for the heads up regarding those rockets too.

Well done! 

Cheers Greg

• Thanks 1