Classic Airframes 1/48 Blenheim Mk.IV - Any mask sets?

ReccePhreak

My friend & I are planning on starting on our Classic Airframes 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV kits, and we were wondering if anybody ever made canopy masking sets for them?

Considering the age of the kit, plus the fact that they are LOOOOONG OOP (And probably will never be re-released), we kinda doubt it.

If not, has anybody tried the masking sets for the Airfix 1/48 Blenheim Mk.IF, on the Classic Airframes Mk.IV?

Larry

Thanks for that info @neilh & @dov. Unfortunately, the canopy on the Mk.I is completely different than the one on the Mk.IV.

I guess we'll have to do it the old-fashioned way of cutting pieces of tape to cover it. At least the canopy is injection molded, not vacuform.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
spelling

Never discount what can be accomplished with a sharp #11 blade and a roll of Tamiya tape!

I found the best way was to cut small circles for the rounded corners, then thin strips to join them, and finally fill in the centers with what's left of your tape piece.

Time consuming but the results are so much better than trying to cut on big piece that fits (it never does)

Image47

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kingcanberra said:

There was also the Eduard vinyl mask set XF181

I almost had a "EUREKA" moment, as I found a shop in Poland that had one. I did a quick search of Eduard's site first, and found that mask was for the CA Bristol Blenheim Mk.I, NOT the Mk.IV that I need. :crying:

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Masks/Aircraft/1-48/B-Blenheim-Mk-I-1-48.html

Oh well, good thing I didn't order it.

Larry

1 hour ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks @Tail-Dragon for those hints and the photo of your build. I may use a hole punch set to punch out the round bits and pieces of tape for the rest.

Larry

Two suggestions, if I may.

I found it easier to apply the Tamiya tape to a scrap piece of .005" plasticard, the punch out the small circles with my punch set. Peel off the nice, clean tape disc's and apply to canopy. I found if you try to punch out discs from just the tape, they were ragged.

Also, you should cut out and replace the triangular window in the center of the windscreen, it has a seem down the center of it.

Image25

• Like 2

On 27/05/2021 at 12:44, ReccePhreak said:

I almost had a "EUREKA" moment, as I found a shop in Poland that had one. I did a quick search of Eduard's site first, and found that mask was for the CA Bristol Blenheim Mk.I, NOT the Mk.IV that I need. :crying:

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Masks/Aircraft/1-48/B-Blenheim-Mk-I-1-48.html

Oh well, good thing I didn't order it.

Larry

Sorry about that, I followed the montex example and missed the mk 1 error