Agacher aggressor – Airfix MiG-17F “Fresco-C” “BF 8401” of the Armee de l’air Burkinabe 1/72

Hi all,

Not such a long text this time ;)

I present the first of my builds to roll off the line as part of the Africa GB. It represents the sole MiG-17F acquired by the newly re-named Burkina Faso in 1984. Reports state that it was acquired from Algeria while the same source oddly suggests that she was “delivered” to Ouagadougou by a defecting Malian pilot. It seems unclear. What is known is that only one was received. At that time, and since, the long running feud between Burkina Faso and Mali over the Agacher Strip (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agacher_Strip_War) has produced a fair degree of action and, presumably, “01” was involved. I have therefore painted here to represent a slightly worn colour scheme. It may be correct, it may not. There are photos of her in storage much later and eventually set up as a preserved machine. My assumption (as it suits my story) is that she was re-painted 😉.

Untitled-1

The kit is the troublesome Airfix offering. Those watching the GB will have seen that I threw my toys out of the pram with my first attempt. This one seems better but it needed care in assembly. It also has many inaccuracies, some of which I have attempted to fix. These include the lack of “T” antennas, no small pitot on the nose, etc. If you build the kit in these markings do not put any roundels on the wings. The GB build is here:

So, what did I do/use? Well:

1.       Kit – Airfix MiG-17F “Fresco-C” (A03091)

2.       Decals – Xtradecal (X72313)

3.       Aftermarket – Master wingtip pitots and cannons, Pavla KK-2 seat, Eduard PE set (SS 695 and 73 695)

4.       Paints – Humbrol Desert Sand (H250), Colourcoats Pale Blue Grey (ACSM01  ), Colourcoats Blue Grey (ACSM03 )

5.       Weathering etc – Tamiya Powders, Flory Sand wash, Prismacolor pencil

I hope you like her.   

01a

01b

01c

01d

01e

01f

Martin

• Like 64

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Burkinabe battler – Airfix MiG-17F “Fresco-C” “BF 8401” of the Armee de l’air Burkinabe 1/72

Woo hoo! First up at the batting cage! Seriously, Martin, another outstanding weenie cooker from your workbench! I really like the scheme, too. (Now if Airfix can just get those panels lines down to a more scale depth and width...) BTW- I don't have my kit to hand, but does the Airfix kit have provision for the landing light underneath the LH wing? Stay safe, my friend! 

:like:   Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

but does the Airfix kit have provision for the landing light underneath the LH wing

Thanks a lot, Mike. Yes, it does but, like in many available Photos, I set it retracted ;). It really doesn’t have a firm open mechanism moulded. 

Martin

44 minutes ago, nikos said:

Nice job and colour Martin

Thanks, Nikos :)

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I set it retracted ;

I'm guessing it might be linked to wing flap deployment, because if it was linked to gear extension, it would be extended in ground photos.

Mike

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I'm guessing it might be linked to wing flap deployment, because if it was linked to gear extension, it would be extended in ground photos.

Mike

It looks that way, although I’m no MiG expert. Other MiGs seem to be the same way.

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Agacher aggressor – Airfix MiG-17F “Fresco-C” “BF 8401” of the Armee de l’air Burkinabe 1/72

That really is another outstanding build Martin. You really go out of your way to find the offbeat and unusual subjects and this one is another of that ilk. I’ve not yet considered buying this new tool Airfix kit, however it’s great builds like this that encourage me to get one. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

Another superb looking result Martin. I completely missed the WIP in the Africa GB, but plan to go have a look shortly. Especially keen to understand things that need fixing on the Airfix kit.

Terry

I don't consider myself a Mig fan, but I am very impressed with this!

The back story is one of those lesser-known-but-extremely-interesting tales of the actual aircraft, which I welcome.

And the model looks excellent!

:clap2::clap2:

On 5/26/2021 at 8:24 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

That really is another outstanding build Martin. You really go out of your way to find the offbeat and unusual subjects and this one is another of that ilk. I’ve not yet considered buying this new tool Airfix kit, however it’s great builds like this that encourage me to get one. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Another superb looking result Martin. I completely missed the WIP in the Africa GB, but plan to go have a look shortly. Especially keen to understand things that need fixing on the Airfix kit.

Terry

22 hours ago, Ilan said:

Very nicely done!

22 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

When I’ve built that kit, I have found it needs a lot of weight in the nose. 

21 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Great looking MiG, love the colour scheme !

Wulfman

18 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Fantastic Mig-17F!

Saluti

Giampiero

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice one Martin, I do like that colour, probably the best rendition I've seen of this scheme, one I'm keen on too.

Steve.

15 hours ago, Ignacio said:

You keep surprising me with these schemes Martin!

Beautiful and well done!

Best regards

Ignacio

12 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Great one, always good to see some African Birds :thumbsup:

Cheers

Markus

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks great and pretty unusual indeed!

4 hours ago, kapam said:

I don't consider myself a Mig fan, but I am very impressed with this!

The back story is one of those lesser-known-but-extremely-interesting tales of the actual aircraft, which I welcome.

And the model looks excellent!

:clap2::clap2:

Many, many thanks to you all. Many kind words. It is, of course, another example of my esoteric leanings. There is the second one nearly done too. I hope to get that done within a week or so. The third probably won’t make the GB deadline :(. The fourth is still boxed! 

All my best, Martin

• Like 2

Thanks mate. It is certainly a frustrating kit but can be wrestled in to submission.  I do think it is a bit chunky in places, particularly the windscreen. The panel lines, of course, are probably the worst feature of the finished model. 

Martin

Very nicely done indeed! I built this option years ago albeit in 1:144 scale. I wasn't aware it was the only MiG-17 they had in service so thanks for the info.

Miguel