RAL 8020 paint disparity

Churchill

Did some more reading over at missinglynx, and a member there states they have a copy of the 1941 840 L containg 40 colour samples.  Compared to Chory's publication they are a "dead on match".  The only colours that can't be compared are 6003, 8017, 7028 and the four desert ones as these weren't included in 1941.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/viewtopic.php?p=1270350#p1270350

So I private messaged them to ask specifically about the interior colour Elfenbein.  They replied Chory is exact match to the 1941 sample.  For hobby paints, Revell's Beige/Aqua Color 36314 is suggested.

regards,

Jack

15 hours ago, JackG said:

Did some more reading over at missinglynx, and a member there states they have a copy of the 1941 840 L containg 40 colour samples.  Compared to Chory's publication they are a "dead on match".  The only colours that can't be compared are 6003, 8017, 7028 and the four desert ones as these weren't included in 1941.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/viewtopic.php?p=1270350#p1270350

So I private messaged them to ask specifically about the interior colour Elfenbein.  They replied Chory is exact match to the 1941 sample.  For hobby paints, Revell's Beige/Aqua Color 36314 is suggested.

regards,

Jack

36314 "is" ral 1001 beige, just as many revell colours are RAL matches. :) This means at least at some point, wartime 1001 was modern 1001....

192102938_190410882937499_36004498872524

Edited by Steben
  • Thanks 1

I think I see the light now, the wartime interior colour remained 1001, just post war the name changed from Elfenbein to Beige.  So the 'argument' from the other camp is they want a more white based interior, and are basing this on the premise that the name 'Ivory White' must be followed wherever it appears on modern RAL charts?

regards,

Jack

3 hours ago, JackG said:

I think I see the light now, the wartime interior colour remained 1001, just post war the name changed from Elfenbein to Beige.  So the 'argument' from the other camp is they want a more white based interior, and are basing this on the premise that the name 'Ivory White' must be followed wherever it appears on modern RAL charts?

regards,

Jack

Possibly yes.... The facts we know are there, the "intentions" are hard to establish. I've seen (pictures) swatches of the lighter stuff as well... I think you posted them? But in what year are those published?

Edited by Steben

6 minutes ago, Steben said:

193568029_310703420639835_68346545212120
This is how it should look like +/-

If you're correct, then Vallejo are accurate with the early scheme. Vallejo's late scheme is very like the relic linked or posted earlier in this thread, with the pinkish tones in the RAL 8020. Mig Ammo is nowhere close to either scheme. Here's a couple a panzers I airbrushed in the Vallejo yesterday, early on the left, late on the right

Early and late DAK

• Like 1

The difference between the patterns I and II is correct on your models. I suspect as with all vallejo paints I've seen there is a serious prelightened character. This makes mig ammo extreme light

Edited by Steben