ICM Models RAF Pilots and Ground Personnel - Gas Bottles

Andrew Mackenzie

Hi guys

I'm planning on using some of the elements from the ICM Models RAF Pilots and Ground Personnel 1939-1945 Building Kit (https://icm.com.ua/pack/wwii-raf-airfield-spitfire-mk-ix-spitfire-mk-vii-raf-pilots-and-ground-personnel/ ). I'll be using them for a diorama of an Italiari 1/48 scale Douglas Boston circa 1944. 

My problem is that I can't find any reference fro what the gas bottles on the trolley would be used for, so I can't decide ion they'd be appropriate for inclusion on a med bomber line. I realise that the kit is aimed for use as a fighter airfield setup - are the gas bottles specific to Spitfires/Hurricanes? I first thought that they might be for topping up on-board oxygen bottles, but as far as I can tell, these tended to simply be replaced on the front line and the empties, presumably, refilled in the main hangars. 

Also, my understanding is that ammo boxes would simply be swapped out on the flight line, and refilling would be done back in the armourers block too - so the ammo 'evener' bench would unlikely be seen on the flight line.

Thoughts please?

Andy

There were numerous oxygen tanks on Boston aircraft under seats and 2 in the rear fuselage. Undercarriage oleo need compressed gas so that is an option compressed air and accumulators in hydraulic systems to damp out initial pressure. What I can’t say for certain is if they would be using compressed nitrogen at that time because it is not flammable.

Hope this helps.