1/72 Academy P-38 Lightning £7.99

I gave my step daughter the choice of which kit I should make for the Less than a tenner build. I think the wife was surprised at the number of kits in the stash ;)

She decided on this one at it looked strange and had difficult stripes.

Here is the box cover showing the price from ModelZone in the Trafford Centre circa 2012

y4mgzsNbqn18Ueh7mHEUJrQg-2tXATQpv9VKccBd

It is all still bagged up.

y4mVbOVMdf9MtE5Igk4afcdaCz9j01-dT43Fj71S

I jumped in an started with the cockpit. 

y4meGFMZav3qISQQX6K1t2sgMnXi1Bqf5UPSuVTB

The detail is really quite good. Much better than the old Airfix or Matchbox kit I built as a kid. I found some PE seat belts from the stash, I think they are Late War RAF ones but I expect they will look ok once the canopy is on.

y4m1qONOOaPayG1AWp7ZSvGOTAVroP6ISfw-PSDP

y4muCcKfr2lVH87eLvhD6zNHVebpFgsKHmlsZ75c

I'm not sure paining the radiators and then fitting them in the tail booms will mean that they will stay painted. I'll have to mask off the small holes I suppose.

y4m9hhDuKe6oK3RNNxPQGpr6-rzCKvcnw_fTbRLk

Next up, I need to make the nose weight from some fishing weights I bought from the market.

• Like 12

Hi Richard and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here and with what looks to be a fantastic choice of kit from your step daughter. And you look to be off to a great start already! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, Richard Tucker said:

I think the wife was surprised at the number of kits in the stash ;)

What they don't know can't hurt 'em... but SWMBO had a tidy of the spare room last weekend, and she knows now alright... 

Tidy cockpit that Richard, I'll be following your further progress with interest. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

What they don't know can't hurt 'em... but SWMBO had a tidy of the spare room last weekend, and she knows now alright... 

Tidy cockpit that Richard, I'll be following your further progress with interest. 

I've got some of the stash in one room, some in another. That way it looks smaller :) The current problem is I have nowhere to store the completed aircraft any more as I have filled the available shelf space in the 2 rooms.....😕. Maybe I should get a man cave / shed / pub thing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

Maybe I should get a man cave / shed / pub thing.

I had hopes for a "model room" but now we have a grandson on the way I fear it will be gazzumped by "baby's room"...

Some more gluing and sticking and I've got the 2 halves of the wings together. I've chopped up a fishing weight and that is in the nose. Hopefully it will be enough. There is a little more room in the cannon nose piece if it isn't enough.

The wing tips weren't quite aligned so some sanding was required to sort the edges out. You can see it before the sanding on the left side of the photo. The back edge of the wing is flush and the engine is too. Just the outer part of the front edge of the wing is off.

y4mt8-bKvcntYI4sns0MWq6cXmgv4TYNNbqJ8uwk

I'm already dreading the invasion stripes around the complex boom shapes. The box art looks like the booms have only white stripes, no black. I'm off to google any photos I can find of California Cutie.

• Like 5

On 5/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, Richard Tucker said:

Some more gluing and sticking and I've got the 2 halves of the wings together. I've chopped up a fishing weight and that is in the nose. Hopefully it will be enough. There is a little more room in the cannon nose piece if it isn't enough.

The wing tips weren't quite aligned so some sanding was required to sort the edges out. You can see it before the sanding on the left side of the photo. The back edge of the wing is flush and the engine is too. Just the outer part of the front edge of the wing is off.

y4mt8-bKvcntYI4sns0MWq6cXmgv4TYNNbqJ8uwk

I'm already dreading the invasion stripes around the complex boom shapes. The box art looks like the booms have only white stripes, no black. I'm off to google any photos I can find of California Cutie.

Personally I wouldn't trust the box art for anything even down to what kit is in the box. I've never seen such a poor illustration, the perspectives look all over the place. Bottom line, your kit will at least LOOK like a P-38, unlike the box!

• Like 1

Hi Richard. Well it looks like you are making good progress depite the kit having some issues. And yes, the invasion stripes could be...'interesting'! Perhaps someone will be able to offer some advice. I haven't done any invasion stripes in similar circustances but sometimes thin or flexible masking tape can be your friend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of progress over the weekend.

First step was the primer - some Vallejo Model Air grey

y4mw6YokP9J0a7tFj137pE3YkP0KoHFyD6H2ch_F

Then some Insignia White for the white parts of the stripes. I was told that the 6mm Tamiya tape was perfect for the stripes and so I've re-used this here after the success on my Hawker Tempest recently.

Next up, some black and them more masking.

y4m-t6iXEUtbky3rYqtVsbEFxImX018y4hV-qJxo

After the grey, I realised I had forgotten to spray the yellow engine tips so began to mask the bottom and round the engines so I can spray the yellow, followed by the Olive Drab.

y4mXo7VsPvUkiRDPdrjUKqaQBDJVBPwU4Mpw4f5c

Once all the masking was done, it was time for the medium yellow.

y4mj_EOQvjLBeSP_c0wj98nOg5A-6EsWycV31gAU

• Like 4

Lots of progress yesterday again. I've sprayed the Olive Drab and then attached the wheels which I painted a while back. The moment of truth after I took the masks off....... How were the stripes and had I put enough lead in the front?

y4mO5ZXZDvigpEG03xzH_aYefrP4cnZG3szajWK4

y4mHEEfkHf5XDXyQv9yFtFLlDv_iR8uING9Z5hHQ

A spray of Future  and then some decals. They went on ok.

y4mDl0HAXlYz-kwWoj7H26GWU0CP2sjfZgDki1cJ

The decal around the nose was a disaster as it didn't conform to the shape and holes around the guns so I'll paint it.

• Like 6

Hi Richard. Wow! Beautiful progress! Annoying about the nose decal and I hope you are able to paint it okay! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix