F-16C, Alaskan Aggressor Squadron

I'm editing my original post with this warning:

*** FRIENDLY WARNING TO ALL THE RIVET COUNTERS OUT THERE***

This aircraft serial number 86-0263 is an F-16C Block 30. I've decided to go ahead and use the Tamiya 1/72 block 50 (how dare you!!!) because:

A- As far as I know there's no 1/72 Block 30 available.

B- I consider the minor differences on a plane of this serial number IRRELEVANT 

C- I did not found and will not spend money in after market correction set.

If you think I'm committing a sacrilege stop looking. If, on the other hand, you can think out the box and are willing to look, hoping this splinter colour scheme is worth of looking go ahead.

thanks

Hello,

Just finished this great 1/72 kit by Tamiya. Since I built another one in the past I wanted to do a complete different scheme and something more interesting. To me nothing beats a splinter camo so I got myself a fantastic decal set by "TwoBobs" and painted this Alaskan F-16 of the 354th wing, 18th Aggressor Squadron at Eielson in Alaska. Painted with AK real colour lacquers and weathered with Abteilung 502 oil paints.

F-16C Serial Number 86-0263

354th Wing, 18th Aggressor Squadron/ Eielson AFB, Alaska June 2017

kclgaoi.jpg

oC4anVE.jpg

o9EnD2W.jpg

JVBvHQr.jpg

pnoS5qo.jpg

oaj52KE.jpg

HmW8Y2z.jpg

xYVJQrT.jpg

H3w6TRi.jpg

GaSkSVa.jpg

XfZuWAl.jpg

mZDQB7A.jpg

AyCLrLb.jpg

D9HhYvk.jpg

2cZovF6.jpg

jUEqqTp.jpg

M7sbs37.jpg

48II1ZE.jpg

JNuR3EJ.jpg

5od9xNw.jpg

hSC2Dbi.jpg

NU1BHsn.jpg

gfVVGMa.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jorge

Edited by jarkmodels
Edited text
  • Like 69
  • Thanks 2

That is absolutely superb Jorge

Such attention to detail

The splinter camo is striking and the weathering simply excellent

The Tamiya kit appears to have significant level of detail and you have highlighted this brilliantly

Congratulations!

• Like 2

I did not know this colour scheme existed! I love it! It's one of the best 'camo' schemes on an F-16 imo

I don't know F-16s enough to know details about the accuracy, but you've done a great job on the colour reproduction. The weathering is very realistic too which I think is an achievement given the black and white - which can  be hard to balance!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jens said:

I like the scheme and your paint job, but the model is still a block 50 airframe, not a block 30. ;)

Jens

This particular serial number has the wide mouth intake and the heavy gear undercarriage leaving only very minimal differences... 

Since I'm not a rivet counter, It doesn't really bother me. 😜

cheers

Edited by jarkmodels
text correction

35 minutes ago, jarkmodels said:

This particular serial number has the wide mouth intake and the heavy gear undercarriage leaving only very minimal differences... 

Since I'm not a rivet counter, It doesn't really bother me. 😜

cheers

Nope, it doesn't have the heavy MLG.

I'm not a rivet counter either, but I do notice the basic differences between the various versions.

Jens

8 hours ago, Jens said:

Nope, it doesn't have the heavy MLG.

I'm not a rivet counter either, but I do notice the basic differences between the various versions.

Jens

Congratulations for noticing the basic differences between the various versions. That, my friend, makes you a great modeller 👍

Here is a photo of the actual aircraft.

9X6vWGD.jpg

And here a photo of my model:

48II1ZE.jpg

If the MLG wheels have different bolts I honestly couldn't care less...they look close enough to me but if that bothers you, by all means when you build yours, and paint this scheme, fix it. 🤪

cheers

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jarkmodels said:

Congratulations for noticing the basic differences between the various versions. That, my friend, makes you a great modeller 👍

Here is a photo of the actual aircraft.

9X6vWGD.jpg

And here a photo of my model:

48II1ZE.jpg

If the MLG wheels have different bolts I honestly couldn't care less...they look close enough to me but if that bothers you, by all means when you build yours, and paint this scheme, fix it. 🤪

cheers

Well, the wheels are not the only difference I see. Besides, it's more than just bolts. It's the shape of the entire lower fuselage that is different. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Jens

That is most spectacular, well done! and weathered to perfection too, not overdone at all, it looks truly lifelike.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jens said:

Well, the wheels are not the only difference I see. Besides, it's more than just bolts. It's the shape of the entire lower fuselage that is different. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Jens

Mate, it has nothing to do with ignorance but with a CHOICE as I told you more than once. Get it?

Why on earth does it bother you how I CHOOSE to build my models?

I like constructive criticism when:

A- I learn something relevant that I didn't know before

B- It helps improving my techniques.

I have had plenty of good advice here in the forum but in the case of your comments is none of those.

You just simply pointed out something that already knew and that I've chosen to ignore because I considered the little differences to be irrelevant. I rather do a great looking model, explores techniques and spend my time painting and weathering instead of counting rivets or in this case complying with the Block 30's ten commandments check list. But don't worry I will edit the original post with a warning to all the rivets counting out there.

I've seen some of your models, so why don't you focus in improving your basic painting techniques, your absolutely none existing weathering and overall finishes and presentation, and then learn how to photograph YOUR models instead of going around telling people about what you believe is a mistake? 

Or maybe you don't know how? Does the ignorance is bliss apply to you in that case?

Jorge

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jarkmodels said:

Mate, it has nothing to do with ignorance but with a CHOICE as I told you more than once. Get it?

Why on earth does it bother you how I CHOOSE to build my models?

I like constructive criticism when:

A- I learn something relevant that I didn't know before

B- It helps improving my techniques.

I have had plenty of good advice here in the forum but in the case of your comments is none of those.

You just simply pointed out something that already knew and that I've chosen to ignore because I considered the little differences to be irrelevant. I rather do a great looking model, explores techniques and spend my time painting and weathering instead of counting rivets or in this case complying with the Block 30's ten commandments check list. But don't worry I will edit the original post with a warning to all the rivets counting out there.

I've seen some of your models, so why don't you focus in improving your basic painting techniques, your absolutely none existing weathering and overall finishes and presentation, and then learn how to photograph YOUR models instead of going around telling people about what you believe is a mistake? 

Or maybe you don't know how? Does the ignorance is bliss apply to you in that case?

Jorge

No, you clearly did not know the differences between a block 30 and a block 50 F-16. You claimed the block 30 had the heavy MLG, remember?
As I have mentioned the heavy MLG is not limited to changes in the MLG itself. It also affects the shape of the lower fuselage - and necessitates the use of bulged main gear doors.
While it might be too late for your model to fix it, hopefully my information would prevent anyone who would want to build a correct block 30 F-16 to use your model as a reference.
Fair enough that you are bashing my models. I think one of the differences between the two of us is that I work from references including pictures of the real thing. That is why my paint schemes follow the lines of those on the real aircraft, and it is also why my models are not weathered as if they were AFVs. But hey, whatever floats your boat. 😆

Have a nice day.

Jens

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jens said:

No, you clearly did not know the differences between a block 30 and a block 50 F-16. You claimed the block 30 had the heavy MLG, remember?
As I have mentioned the heavy MLG is not limited to changes in the MLG itself. It also affects the shape of the lower fuselage - and necessitates the use of bulged main gear doors.
While it might be too late for your model to fix it, hopefully my information would prevent anyone who would want to build a correct block 30 F-16 to use your model as a reference.
Fair enough that you are bashing my models. I think one of the differences between the two of us is that I work from references including pictures of the real thing. That is why my paint schemes follow the lines of those on the real aircraft, and it is also why my models are not weathered as if they were AFVs. But hey, whatever floats your boat. 😆

Have a nice day.

Jens

Yes, your feedback is precious..."but the model is still a block 50 airframe, not a block 30"

Yes, you are really helping everyone

Yes, let's hope your information will prevent others do the aberration I did... 

Yes, your models are amazing, they look great and you have nothing to improve. Please keep doing them like that and definitely don't weather your aircrafts like AFVs...

thank you

• Haha 1

That looks seriously good!

I purchased this Tamiya kit and the Twobobs Splinter decal sheet to do the green camo splinter scheme. Looking forward to getting it done.

Like yourself I notice discrepancies with how models are engineered, but it doesn't really detract from the modelling experience. All the same, this kit is certainly a step up from the Revell kit I used for my Polish AF model.

Very nice indeed!

Martin

• Like 1