Titanic (Airfix 1:400)

Hi All,

I've decided to start this one alongside my GB builds. I wasn't going to create a WIP thread but I thought it may help me keep focused.

I built the 1:700 (with lights) last year and it's the only model my wife has ever wanted out on display. My sister recently saw it and asked if I'd build her one too. I then decided she could have the 1:700 and I'm now replacing it with the 1:400 for my wife (no pressure!!!!) I also built the Meng Toon version a couple of weeks ago. That only took a day and was a lot of fun though it never made the mantelpiece :laugh:

Anyhow, I'll not list the sprues but will highlight the goodies I have with it; namely wooden deck, etch, brass masts and a lighting strip. I've just noticed when taking the pictures that there's a tiny bell in with the brass masts!! 🔬

The last picture is just to show that she's underway. These parts actually took longer to join than expected due to having to remove the molding lines which ran all the way up, over and back down the body of each one  :unamused:  Never mind, they're ready for a light rub down on the seams then it's primer time! 

2m1yA86%5D

2m1t91x%5D

2m1ubjL%5D

2m1ugcg%5D

2m1t8ZA%5D

• Like 8

Quick update.

Wanted to ensure the base was less 'tacky' so I've stripped all the 'Gold' (from ALL the 'gold' parts) and put my own stamp on things (with the wife's approval :whistle: )

P.S. Hull not fixed and yet to be painted

2m1QXcw%5D

2m1QXbu%5D

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

OK - Back to this grand Lady whilst between GBs.

I thought it was primer time then I remembered the etch :doh: I have a feeling my nerves will be tested!!!!

One down, seven to go. :hypnotised:

2m4DT3n%5D

2m4Hwgd%5D

Oh, and there are only enough parts on the etch fret to make four complete large booms, not 6 (12 off 53 and only 4 off 48)  :swear: I'll need to fashion a couple of parts from plastic card; luckily they are only thin strips.

2m4NeKa%5D

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Morning, Quick update. I've now almost completed the cranes and have also started on the bow deck.

The wooden decking is from China via an auction site and I have to say I'm really surprised with the quality; it's superb to work with!!

2m76xE6%5D

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

I thought it was about time I posted an update on the build!! The rear deck is now complete (though I've left the cranes off for now). I have to confess that in order to maintain both physical and mental health, I opted not to use the etch railings. I gave it a go for the small amount required on the gantry and then looked at the amount required for the whole build; enough said!! :whistle:

e03oN6%5D

0ap54p%5D

• Like 8

7 hours ago, SallysDad said:

This looks fantastic. I will be tagging along.

I am wondering why you chose 1/400 and not the more common 1/350 scale.

Hi, Thank you and welcome aboard :happy:

The 1/350 is quite a jump in size and wouldn't have looked right in its intended location hence opting for the 1:400

• 1 month later...

Not sure where the time has gone recently but I know I've spent hardly any of it at the bench. Anyhow, just a quick update to say this is still ongoing with a shape starting to form (albeit decks just laid on at present)

6R743H%5D

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nigel. I don't know where I am! I can't spot any tracky or wingy things around these parts!! 😱

Despite that - I am very impressed with your project!! I like big projects like this, but very rarely build any these days. The deck work is looking especially good.

Now that I have discovered where you are, I will try and keep up with your build.

Hope you and yours are keeping well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix, I’m a bit all over the place at the minute and finding it difficult to find time at the bench. However, when I can, the focus is on this for the Mrs and it’s good to have you along for the cruise. I hope you and yours are good and I’m looking forward to getting back into the mainstream sometime soon. Cheers 

• 1 year later...

I've decided it's time to get back to this. I've built a few GB models this year and can't believe the last post was almost 2 years ago!! :gobsmacked:

Anyhow here's a picture of a few extra bits to get this back underway

53183615936_acb4047c15_k.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cklasse said:

The danger of browsing forum. I found this build thread and am hooked. Can I come onboard? I have ticket for the cruise……

Some in progress thread can nudge me to buy the kit…..

Absolutely. Welcome aboard :smile:

Brilliant ship model taking shape here. Should look splendid with the decks and other after market improvements.

A dedicated display case will be in order to finally complement and protect this model when completed.

1/400th scale is a nice size for this model. Not too big and not too small for display piece.

The Titanic as a kit is available in so many scales from tiny to enormous, so something available for just about everyone's preference and pocket.

I wonder if that beautiful French pre war liner Normandie will ever be kitted in plastic. It is one of those maritime subjects that I would have thought would have been done by Heller long ago!

Edited by Noel Smith
Extra info
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Brilliant ship model taking shape here. Should look splendid with the decks and other after market improvements.

A dedicated display case will be in order to finally complement and protect this model when completed.

1/400th scale is a nice size for this model. Not too big and not too small for display piece.

The Titanic as a kit is available in so many scales from tiny to enormous, so something available for just about everyone's preference and pocket.

I wonder if that beautiful French pre war liner Normandie will ever be kitted in plastic. It is one of those maritime subjects that I would have thought would have been done by Heller long ago!

Thank you :smile: Its taken me a while to pick up again but hoping to plough on now.

I agree re. the scale. I've a 1:700 on the mantlepiece (it's the only kit the wife has ever wanted on display) but it's a bit lost there. This 1:400 will replace that and have just enough presence.

• 2 weeks later...