Canberra B.15 Akrotiri Strike Wing

Hi everybody,

after more than one year (I did work on some other models in between) I finally finished the E. E. Canberra B.15:

C61ZSeQ.jpg

ESnPEm6.jpg

Photo taken with a kind of digital vintage-filter. The Dark Green actually looks like it does on 1960s shots, I think.

W0uIRCC.jpg

KrT8ZJp.jpg

Maybe I should polish the canopy more.

fZXA6Ck.jpg

Scratch-built pylon and Microcell rocket pod converted from a Revell Matra pod.

ZvqGovD.jpg

Towards the end of their career, B.15s were equipped with additional hardpoints to carry AS.30 missiles.

a7xPvcd.jpg

Special thanks go to Britmodeller Rossm who generously provided me with the Flamingo decal from a long-sold out Model Alliance decal sheet.

A rudimentary WIP-thread can be found here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235067090-canberra-b1516-akrotiri-strike-wing-172/

Not an easy kit, but  it has finely engraved surface detail unlike many recent kits from Airfix and even Special Hobby. It took me a lot of time mostly because there were many small things to research and to decide in order to convert it to a B.15.

All comments welcome and enjoy!

• Like 53

That’s a splendid Canberra. I see lots of small and accurate details that help elevate this to a great build. You’ve done well getting this kit over the line. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I distinctly recall as a child being buzzed by one of these Canberras off the coast of Cyprus July 1970.  Nice build and finish! 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a splendid Canberra. I see lots of small and accurate details that help elevate this to a great build. You’ve done well getting this kit over the line. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

I agree ... a lot!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind comments.

The post-war RAF overseas is an interesting topic for me. In my country everything was about the Cold War at this time, but Britain still had substantial (post-)colonial committments with RAF bases in Cyprus, Aden, in the Persian Gulf and in the Far East. Of course the Akrotiri Strike Wing had a double role: nuclear strike against targets in the Southern Soviet Union in case the Cold War went hot and conventional strike in the Near/Middle East as part of CENTO and even deployments to the Far East. And yes, it was quiet a huge force: four squadrons of Canberras; the same number as in W. Germany, IIRC

22 hours ago, F-32 said:

That's a great build, and I love the base, did you make it?

Yes, I like making my own bases. It's even more fun with tanks because you can put them in all kind of landscapes and urban settings. The base as such is made from a piece of foam board. The concrete slabs were made from plastic sheet and painted individually. I also added some surface structure by stippling Mr. Surfacer on them. One corner of the foam board base was covered with a mixture of white glue, sand, gravel, plaster and pigments. After painting and drybrushing I added static grass. I use an electric static grass applicator which really makes a difference. For the frame I used plasic profiles glued around the foambroad (prior to paiting and adding the concrete slabs).

kr2367d.jpg

wZ4O6tT.jpg

lvxLmIR.jpg

• Like 4