Bedford QL Refueller Conundrum

Andy341

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi I am normally an aircraft modeller, however I thought I would like to try IBG's Bedford QL Refueller.  The kit is posing no problems, however I am trying to make it like the QL in these photos.  These photos were taken by my dad in 1957, at RAF Benbecula, while he was posted there following his trade training as an instrument fitter.

The photos show the vehicle to be a variant with only two booms, whereas the IBG kit has three booms.  I have cross referenced the IBG kit with Airfix's 1/76 kit and I have noticed that the plumbing is different as well as there being two comes near the rest of the tank.  

Could anyone identify the specific type of QL is in the photos and confirm that it does have the two comes and and different plumbing than what is offered in the kit?  If possible, could anyone please provide either photos or scale drawings of the type?

Many thanks.

I believe the variant with triple booms differs from the twin boom version in that the third boom is for lubricating oil rather than fuel. This would mean a extra section or division in the tank and differences to the plumbing and pump. It may also have a lesser fuel capacity than the fuel only variant. Both of the boomed QL tankers were post-war builds.

The photo's do indeed show the two boom variant. the three boom variant being more common.

Mike Conniford's booklet on the QL shows a photo of these being converted from the earlier boomless versions.

Bedford supplied only the chasis cab (QLC) with the tanks being fitted by outside contractors, e.g. Butterfields of Shipley. Early models had a 1000 gal tank whilst later ones a 950 gal tank. The two boom variant was fuel only whilst the three boom variant, as @Andrew Jones said was for fuel & oil. In the later case the tank was divided into two compartments 850 gal for fuel & 100 gal for oil. This would need different piping arrangements, it is possible the piping runs for the fuel from main tank take off to the fuelling arms would be substantially the same whist an 'extra' run would cater for the oil which, presumably, used the central boom and would also require a third pump in either the rear or side compartments.

The additional oil tank would need some form of access for filling so tank top arrangements most likely differ.

Looks like I need to do more research for my conversion of the Accurate Armour 1/48th model (3 boom- 2 boom) either that or scratch build the missing parts for the third arm.

• 4 weeks later...