Bf 109 E-4, Airfix 1/72: JR's second Emil.

jean

Hi everyone,

slow but steady progress.

I painted the RLM 65: First coat of Humbrol authentic colour HG5. The only pot I have left of anything approaching the light blue.

I bought this tinlet 36 years ago, and I last used it 35 years ago... So I opened it with some trepidation, to find a perfectly usable paint, as good as the day it was manufactured. Long live Humbrol!

So I added 80% white and gave it a first coat, with all the brush marks one can expect.

Things will look much better after the second, and hopefully no third coat will be needed. As the paint is diluted at about 20%, it is fairly liquid, which I like.

Anyway, here is a photo of the progress. The electric light  does not do justice to the blue, but I will take some natural light piccies after the second coat.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 18

Have fun!

JR

• Like 5

On 8/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, jean said:

And Airfix forget the tabs on the ailerons! It doesn't make any sense!

Hi Jean,

That explains the absence of them on my E-7/Trop - I thought I had not sanded them off!.

Pete

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jean said:

I bought this tinlet 36 years ago, and I last used it 35 years ago... So I opened it with some trepidation, to find a perfectly usable paint, as good as the day it was manufactured. Long live Humbrol!

The tin I have must date from around 1972. Just shook the tin I have,I can hear liquid splashing around. I wonder what it would be like? Should I open it to compare it to the Colourcoats? It might not survive the opening.

4 hours ago, jean said:

Anyway, here is a photo of the progress. The electric light  does not do justice to the blue, but I will take some natural light piccies after the second coat.

Will be interesting to see what it looks like in daylight. It has a definite greenish tinge on my monitor (amazingly my wife agrees!).

The Humbrol Hellblau I remember (not reliably) was quite a strong light blue. I think I have a kit somewhere in the loft painted with it. I'll try to dig it out.

19 hours ago, Johnson said:

The tin I have must date from around 1972. Just shook the tin I have,I can hear liquid splashing around. I wonder what it would be like? Should I open it to compare it to the Colourcoats? It might not survive the opening.

Will be interesting to see what it looks like in daylight. It has a definite greenish tinge on my monitor (amazingly my wife agrees!).

The Humbrol Hellblau I remember (not reliably) was quite a strong light blue. I think I have a kit somewhere in the loft painted with it. I'll try to dig it out.

Hi Charlie,

you are right about electric lights. OK for showing progress, but crummy for showing reliable colours used.

Still, better than nothing.

I gave a second coat of light blue last night, and yes, even adding 80 % of white still gives a "strong" light blue as you say.

But I am happy with the painting and the result. I know that if I go for a third coat, I will regret it.

So on to masking the RLM 02 & 71. 

Can you believe that I have been unable to fit the small reinforcement bars in the radiator mouths? Done it several times before, and this time I am all thumbs!!!!

So I have given up for the time being, until I see what my shrink has to say! Weird!

Enjoy your Emil!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

I gave a second coat of light blue last night, and yes, even adding 80 % of white still gives a "strong" light blue as you say.

But I am happy with the painting and the result. I know that if I go for a third coat, I will regret it.

Looking forward to seeing the daylight pic Jean.

3 hours ago, jean said:

Can you believe that I have been unable to fit the small reinforcement bars in the radiator mouths? Done it several times before, and this time I am all thumbs!!!!

I found it quite tricky. Had to use tweezers and my optical secret weapon - my Opivisors. I think it was Bill Livingstone, another Britmodeller, who said it was like having teenage eyes again. They really do help with diminutive 109s at 1/72.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looking forward to seeing the daylight pic Jean.

I found it quite tricky. Had to use tweezers and my optical secret weapon - my Opivisors. I think it was Bill Livingstone, another Britmodeller, who said it was like having teenage eyes again. They really do help with diminutive 109s at 1/72.

Hi Charlie,

the sad truth is that I was wearing what you call an optiwhatsit!!!

Shame... There are day with, and then there are days without...

JR

• Sad 1

A quick photo outside, if only to show the RLM 65 I am using is indeed blue!

Again, very harsh light (and very hot weather), but this is Africa.

Life is keeping me busy, but I am in the process of marking the paint boundaries between RLM 02 and 71 as per the photos I have of this 109, and this evening I will finalize the masking on the fuselage and wings. Hopefully fist green paint tomorrow.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 19

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, jean said:

the RLM 65 I am using is indeed blue!

Hi Jean,

Quite amazing. Totally different colour in natural light, and looks just right.

Best wishes for the masking and the 71/02. Not easy, as I'm in the process of discovering!

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

last night I started the masking and painting of the RLM 71.

I started with the darker colour as it is an acrylic paint, more precisely the last of my beloved AeroMaster 1024, RLM 71.

I had to add some H2O to be able to use it on this 109. Anyway, it is now done and tomorrow I will mask the RLM 71, ready for the RLM 02 in Humbrol enamel.

It took three thin coats to give me a colour density I was happy with.

Here is a photo of the situation:

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 20

Have fun!

JR

PS: Once more the electric light is playing tricks with the colours! More photos in natural light once I have painted the RLM 02.

Edited by jean
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Good progress Jean. It's going to look splendid with the yellow nose etc., a great scheme, if not terribly good camouflage!

Hi Charlie,

unfortunately, the paint scheme I have chosen has not got a yellow nose. Only wing tips, and a couple of other extremities.

Hopefully the camo will look a hell of a lot tidier once I have added the RLM 02 and removed the masking!I have always wanted to build a 109 with a red Hollenhund below the cockpit. It may not have been red, but in doubt I want it red!!!

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

11 minutes ago, jean said:

unfortunately, the paint scheme I have chosen has not got a yellow nose. Only wing tips, and a couple of other extremities.

Hopefully the camo will look a hell of a lot tidier once I have added the RLM 02 and removed the masking!I have always wanted to build a 109 with a red Hollenhund below the cockpit. It may not have been red, but in doubt I want it red!!!

My mistake, I assumed (assumption is the basis of all error) that it would be the same scheme as this;

y4m2bFIbLW8BZanwIJHR1uoL70sPFj2mDBgWd-0X

You'll have to do it next time!

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Jean,

My mistake, I assumed (assumption is the basis of all error) that it would be the same scheme as this;

y4m2bFIbLW8BZanwIJHR1uoL70sPFj2mDBgWd-0X

You'll have to do it next time!

Hi Charlie,

no, I am doing the E-4 of the Staffel Kapitan. The above profile is for an E-3 or E-1 and I do not have the right canopy.

I am nonetheless using most of the decals from this scheme. Shame about the lack of yellow nose, but I am sticking to a couple of photos, and that will have to be it for this 109.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

Good afternoon all,

at lunch time I managed to mask the RLM 71 in prevision for the RLM 02. First coat tonight.

The model looks increasingly like a mummy!

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 21

Thanks for looking.

JR

• Like 3

Hi all,

finished the last coat of RLM 02. It took me 4 coats (OK, diluted) to obtain an adequate cover. I was getting worried. Obviously the Humbrol 240 is not covering that well.

Later today I will remove the masking. Then touch ups and gloss varnish before decals.

I may even be able to finish this model on time!

A photo of the paint mess:

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 22 bis

Have a lot of fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 7

Looks good Jean, the multiple coats give a lovely consistent finish. Taking off the masks is always a satisfying, if sometimes anxious, event. Best of luck!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Well, I couldn't wait until later today, so I removed the masks, knowing that the RLM 02 was dry enough for that.

Now I really have to wait until tomorrow before I can do anything else.

Anyway, here is a photo of the unmasked  model, with lots of warts, ridges and touch ups awaiting me... The price to pay for brush painters.

But I am happy with it!

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 23

Have a great Sunday everyone.

JR

• Like 9

Hi everyone,

it has been tedious, but the 109 is now fully tidied up, and all the touch ups done. It looks much more presentable.

All that is left to do before the clear varnish are the tabs to be painted red, the guns in black and this bird is supposed to have some RLM 02 stripes on the vertical surfaces... slightly worried about trying to paint them!

Hopefully by tomorrow evening the clear varnish will be on, ready for the decals.

Not 100% sure I will finish this kit on time, but I sure will try. 

Here is a photo of my Emil:

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 24

Cheers

JR

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

the painting is now officially finished.

Did the tabs in red, and the rather heavy RLM 02 mottle on the vertical surface.

Plus some minor, forgotten touch ups. So this evening it will be the turn of the clear varnish.

A photo of the Emil:

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 25

Have fun.

JR

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

Excellent progress Jean, and thank you for the reminder about the red tabs, which I’d quite forgotten!

Looks great, good luck with the gloss and decals.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the compliments, and yes, the red tabs look quite good!

Finished the two gloss coats and I am looking at a super shiny 109.

So either later this evening or tomorrow I will start the decalling: stencils from the kit and the rest from the Xtradecal sheet on the BoB.

The September 5th deadline is another story, but I am not stressing about it. I sure won't botch this model just to put it in the gallery on time. I wish life would be a tad more understanding, but don't we all?

Cheers and have fun!

JR

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

The Humbrol Gloss Cote having dried faster than I expected, I decided to start the decalling this evening.

I have just put the red griffin on a model, something I had wanted to do for longer than I can remember.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 26

I never tire of these Emils!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 6

Hi everyone,

decalling to be completed shortly, just left with quite a few microscopic stencils and the victory markings that I will cobble from the Airfix decal sheet.

I am afraid I will not finish this GB on time, but I will only be a couple of days late.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 27

Cheers.

JR

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

Well, the decalling is over, ready for a last coat of clear gloss followed by a matt spray.

I can see the 109 being finished in two days time, so I am really quite happy about it.

Life sometimes has other plans, which is just what happened. So no point being grumpy about it.

Here are a couple of photos  of this 109 E-4, representing the plane of Gerhard Schopfel, Staffelkapitan of 9/JG 26 in August 1940.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 29

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 28

Thank you to the organizers for a really exciting GB!

This model will appear shortly in the RFI section.

Cheers all.

JR

• Like 8