Bf 109 E-4, Airfix 1/72: JR's second Emil.

jean

Hi everyone,

this is a kit I will definitely build, but at a later date during the course of this GB. There are a couple of other kits I need to finish before I can start this one.

Anyway, here is the victim:

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 6

I did the model on the box art last year  during the BoB  GB.

This time I have set my heart on the 109 E-4 of the Staffelkapitan of 9/JG 26. This Staffel sported the spectacular red griffon on the fuselage.

I can tweak some X-Tradecals transfers to get the correct plane.

In addition, as I have had the following bits and pieces for a long time, I may as well use them on this build.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 8

Cheers and have fun everybody.

JR

• Like 13

Keen to see how this goes.

I have the same Aires Cockpit Set and was considering a similar build.

Does this fit the newish kit (as you have) or an older one?

Watching with much interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayne 0 said:

Keen to see how this goes.

I have the same Aires Cockpit Set and was considering a similar build.

Does this fit the newish kit (as you have) or an older one?

Watching with much interest.

Hi Wayne,

re the A.M. cockpit, I haven't got the foggiest, as I have never used this cockpit add-on before.

Future will tell, but I suspect it is designed for this "new" Airfix Emil.

Cheer

JR

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff JR

Finishing other builds first.....

The world is full of such good intentions  !

Best of luck

Cheers Pat 

There you are at it again... trying to undermine my already flagging resolve.

I am off anything sugary at the moment (boss's orders) and it is hard.

Not starting this 109 will be harder.

Cheers mate and have fun!

JR

• Haha 2

Look forward to seeing your progress with this one once you are free Jean. Don't be listening to Pat, he's a bad influence :lol:

• Haha 2

Hi everyone,

Against my strongest will, I have taken a photo of the sprues. This in itself does not augur well as far as not giving in to temptation and not starting this 109 like right now!

And while I was rummaging I found a Yahu IP and some Master gun barrels I had totally forgotten about! This in itself was a sign.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 1

I am not sure I will use the barrels, but I will definitely use the Yahu IP, which is really like giving marzipan to warthogs, as the canopy is likely to remain closed...

Anyway, enjoy your builds and have fun!

JR

• Like 7

Hi everyone,

well, call me weak, but I started this 109...

My A-4B in the WIP is at the gloss varnish stage, but unfortunately for the other A-4B in the Skyhawk GB, and the Etendard, they will have to be moved down the line.

I mean, a 109 is a quick build, no? What could go wrong, especially the second time around.

Anyway, here is a picture of the small progress:

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 2

I am using the Aires resin cockpit: painful, as I cannot stand to remove the big resin pouring chunks attached to the parts.

And not braking any of the ever so thin protrusions is damn impossible. Ask me how I know!

Anyway, close to the cockpit painting.

Thanks for looking in.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

been away for a few days and decided that I'd better do a little bit of work on the Emil.

So primed and gave a first coat of RLM 02 on the resin bits (Please notice the snapped stick... which I may cannibalize on my last Airfix 109) and a second coat in the wheel wells. This is the Humbrol RLM 02 and I think I can live with it. It should darken a tad with gloss varnish and that should then bring it to tip top hue. I have this fixation on RLM 02 that I am unable to explain to myself, so don't ask.

The radiators have been painted on the inside and the fuselage is ready to take in the cockpit whenever it is ready. So shame on me as far as the other builds are concerned... The Emils will be my downfalls.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 3

Thanks for watching.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

we have  our two visitors of the year (the only ones...) now that COVID has relaxed travel in some parts of the world...

That has played havoc with my already restricted modelling time,but I am not allowed to bitch.

Anyway, I have managed to squeeze a little time with the 109.

Nothing earth shattering, but I have to be content with it.

So the Aires cockpit is still a work in progress, but close to finishing it. Of course I snapped the resin stick and may have t use a dab of epoxy glue to fix it. Nobody will notice! Still a lot of small touch ups, especially in the wheel wells, but it will look great eventually.

Here is a quick photo of the mess:

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 4

Have fun!

JR

• Like 12

On 6/26/2021 at 1:05 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Lovely work JR

Were your guests fortunate enough to stay in the chateau  ?

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the compliments. But after finishing the right side of the cockpit and gluing it in place, what I suspected became reality. Nothing of the finicky paint job remains visible! Next time I shall use a paint roller. But I feel much, much better knowing it is in there! So fuselage soon to be closed and wings added.

Regarding our guests only the second lady stayed in the Chateau and she loved it. The first one is 79 years old, albeit sprightly, but negotiating the steps to the Chateau was deemed a liability, so she stayed in our top cottage. Both had a great time. 

Unfortunately all our British volunteers have had to cancel... This is getting boring.

Cheers mate.

JR

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

the cockpit sides are glued, and I had to use two component epoxy glue as well as clamps to keep them in place and make sure they conformed to the kit.

Not sure this was really worth it as I intend keeping the canopy closed!

I will attempt to fit the tub with seat and co... the fit may be tricky. As for the IP, no idea yet how, or where it will locate.

Oh well...

Here is a photo of the half fuselages.

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 5

Thanks for looking in and have fun with your respective builds.

JR

• Like 10

Sorry to hear all this work is about to be hidden JR but hopefully the closed canopy is clear enough to afford a good view of it.

To say that I struggled with the cockpit resin inserts would be a gross understatement! A hell of a lot of sanding, breaking, re-gluing bits, and a lot of very unmentionable language were involved. Not sure if I will attempt that again.

Whatever I went through, I did manage to get the better on the recalcitrant A.M.

Here is a quick photo of the building site at the mo... rather ugly, I know... But it should improve (?)

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 6

I am nonetheless having fun!

Enjoy your 109s!!!

JR

• Like 8

The cockpit certainly looks OK JR.

I'm finding 109s so small at 1/72. How on earth John @nimrod54 manages to produce such great models at 1/144 I cannot fathom.

OK, back to the bench... more fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Johnson said:

The cockpit certainly looks OK JR.

I'm finding 109s so small at 1/72. How on earth John @nimrod54 manages to produce such great models at 1/144 I cannot fathom.

OK, back to the bench... more fun!

1 hour ago, Muchmirth said:

Agreed!

Hi guys,

thanks for your comment. Yes, the cockpit looks OK, and it is, but life is too short to repeat this stunt with my next 109.

Re John, aka @nimrod54, I have long suspected him to be bionic and from a distant galaxy, so good his 1/144 models are...

But he is cheating: he never builds the cigarette lighter!!!! The word scandal does not come close.

Keep having fun!

JR

• Haha 5

Hi everyone,

I keep on plodding along and these bits of plastic are starting to look vaguely like a 109.

Some filler and a lot of sanding, etc. in the immediate future. Nothing unexpected.

As if life was not already hectic enough, I have managed to butcher the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces... I blame that on the very soft Airfix plastic... In truth, I really stuffed up. So putty and CA + talcum powder if I want to sort this mess out.

Here is a lone photo of the progress:

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 7

Have fun.

JR

• Like 6