Monogram Porsche 904 GTS 1/24

4 hours ago, Marco F. said:

In real life I guess these rims were used on the first 912 series, do you remember the 4 cylinder version of the 911? 

Hi Marco, the steel wheels were also used on early 911s. The Fuchs alloy was introduced with the 911S in 1966, I believe. The steel wheels with hub caps do give the 911 a certain elegance I think and makes a nice change from the ubiquitous Fuchs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

The steel wheels with hub caps do give the 911 a certain elegance I think and makes a nice change from the ubiquitous Fuchs.

I agree, and if I could find suitable hubcaps I might be tempted to build one of my 911S kits as a car thus fitted, but I don't think I'd go as far as shortening the wheelbase to a very early one! I do have an Aari (IIRC) 1/32 911 that has steelies with hubcaps though. :)

Keith

• Like 1

Great idea for the steering wheel , I will do the same in my bug build to do my mota-lita woodrim steering wheel, I used it on my latest aircraft build with little cars 1.2mm wire for the gauge bezels rings and works well. The windscreen and wiper will look much better than the moulded one .

Really great work

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I used it on my latest aircraft build with little cars 1.2mm wire for the gauge bezels rings and works well.

Did someone mention bezels?

This is today’s output. I’ve made an instrument cluster. I do know I’ve got two Rev counters (and they are not the right way up!) but I made a mess of the speedometer decal and they are so small I figure it just needs something in there.

EBFB41DF-904A-4C2C-8919-6759996F25FD

The decals are from Modelworks and the bezels are self adhesive chrome plated PE parts from a set that came today from Globaltoy on eBay (together with my new Porsche badges). They are sold as keyholes in various scales but can be repurposed and I plan on using some of the other sized circles as switch surrounds on the dash and for the quick release catches on the bonnet and boot. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chrome-metal-decals-Keyhole-silver-2293-/172917178395?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The other job for today has been tackling the windscreen surround. I painted the chrome trim with Molotow chrome (by brush). The outer part of the rubber seal is done with black lining decals because that was the only way I could get a presentable finish. I used black lining from Fox’s Transfers which include three different corner radii (or is it radiuses???). https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/general-alphabets-linings/corners-in-black-33483
The smaller radius was good for the top corners, the lower corners were done with the largest radius but still needed some persuasion with some Microsol/set to follow the curve. I’ll paint on the inner part of the rubber seal by brush once the chrome is fully dry.

4BEE21EF-952F-4A8E-9DD4-584157F098FC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

That's a good idea for doing the rubber seals, shall file that away for future use!

Nice update!

Keith

Agreed a great idea, hadn't thought of that,  that gauge cluster looks fab too.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1

A bit more progress to report. The headlight recesses have been painted satin black and clear lenses fitted over some circles of mirror chrome tape. These lenses are replacement for the chrome lenses supplied in the kit. The replacements are spotlight lenses taken from another Monogram kit of the Porsche 924 Rally and are sized just right.

D627517A-4011-4A15-8DAE-F2E88D5148B8

I’ve then fitted the headlight covers. These needed some significant sanding and reshaping to fit flush. They were masked up to spray the black surrounds, which represent strips of tape on the full size car.

01DC7659-101F-4372-A356-25123A2A4E23

I’ve also finished the interior tub. As supplied the tub is pretty basic. I had already removed the rear part that forms part of the rear deck so that I could add the firewall to the body moulding.

image7

The full size car is spartan inside but the tub would still benefit from some additional detail in the form of instruments, switches, ignition key hole, indicator/light stalks, lap belts, door cards and interior door pulls. I used some artistic license to add a Porsche badge to the dash and also remade the gear lever as the kit part was comically oversized.

82F74ECC-A92C-4430-B1F2-E17B78A400F7

C9E65CDA-3501-4614-B5BE-680904EAD454

30C917ED-F922-4F9B-86B2-BD0031F352F8

• Like 10

On 02/06/2021 at 18:46, keefr22 said:

I agree, and if I could find suitable hubcaps I might be tempted to build one of my 911S kits as a car thus fitted, but I don't think I'd go as far as shortening the wheelbase to a very early one! I do have an Aari (IIRC) 1/32 911 that has steelies with hubcaps though. :)

Keith

Hello Keith,

if I understand right,you are looking for the flat hubcaps from the 356 Fujimi kit to put them on the 911s.

send me a PM and I can pass a set over to you.

Marco F

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a break, I’ve made some more progress with a scratch built grille for the rear deck. I used 10 x 20 thou plastic strip, built in a jig and using 15 thou strip as spacers.

253DA8D3-7F0D-4DE3-8CB6-B7131491F5A9

A few of the bars need tweaking to straighten them out but otherwise looks about right in place. I’ll be spraying it in Molotow chrome before final assembly.

AF9B848B-0905-44E0-B4AF-22CCDB380004

• Like 10

A little bit more progress to report. I’ve polished the body, then added number roundel decals. I’ve added the spot lights, with lenses tinted yellow to match the full size car. The side lights/indicators, tail lights and rear reflectors are scratch built from discs of plastic sheet and transparent sheet, punched out using a Historex Agents punch and die set. The remaining chrome parts have been stripped of the chrome plating by submerging in bleach and repainted using Molotow Chrome. As mentioned on another thread, I use AK Interactive Glass Coat Gauzy Agent to coat the painted chrome which quickly dries to leave a protective finish allowing the chrome parts to be safely handled. Being water based it doesn’t dull the chrome as much as solvent based clear coats and I think produces a nice scale look.

I’m on the home stretch now with just the glazing, wiper and smaller details to add before final assembly.

95E23C82-0AD8-42EF-B638-8177071E7414

92BF3C2D-A509-426F-BFEA-F6776004C153

• Like 6

Final few details and I’m almost done.

The interior and glazing is in and I’m pleased the interior detail is still visible.

The wiper is made from some PE parts from an old Fujimi detail up set. The arm is a cutdown Lamborghini Diablo arm and the blade is a 911 rear wiper.

115A5DAB-24AD-4CC4-B15E-D0DC3E22D7E2

9E84A69D-11C6-4137-AB59-89F966DD6F43

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 5