The Production line. All sixteen done

The other builds

01504456-ca7b-48ae-ae20-4f37f30ea4d5.jpe
A legion Condor E-3 Airfix with a new canopy

8b74c447-5e93-42dc-be05-03650cb5ff59.jpe

A 109 E-3 from III/JG 53 Battle of Britain during the period where Goering ordered them to paint out the Pik Aus badge so they painted out their swastikas in protest. Airfix oob

5a0daf0b-34ef-48f7-98d5-2d5c83abf66b.jpeFinnish G6 Oob italeri 

0f1ba5f9-4229-4298-b26c-83b7930b4d30.jpeSwiss G6 oob italeri 

7233236f-33d2-4c9e-b289-49a8b2117269.jpeHungarian G6 oob probably the Hasegawa

ecb251a6-d53d-49d8-8c04-397afba54d1d.jpeItalian G6 as probably  the Heller K4 with minor modifications 

fc257958-63d1-44dc-8749-57cc24eded4b.jpeYugoslavian G10 Revell oob

a3a8a1aa-0eca-41af-b429-faf282ab65b7.jpeCroatian G10 Revell oob

9857614b-45ab-4b60-8210-0b243a6f7679.jpeAnother Yugoslavian G10 Revell oob.

if my AVIAs arrive within the GB I’ll post them here too ( not holding my breath in them :( )

Have to post some sprue shots next.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 16

• Marklo changed the title to The Production line 9 109s and not a hakencruz in sight.

There’s a Swiss one with a shark mouth which is equally badass, which I may attempt, but I’m not sure my hand painting skills are up to it.

dee9a763-18d1-4aab-8723-7bf8a515fdac.jpehmm I’ve also noticed that the first one is a G14 not a G6 not a terribly difficult conversion but still extra work, hmmm.

Darn, so is the Finnish one hmmm….

Oh I’ll figure it out when I get there…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Ive done the Yugoslavian white 44 myself, 

15 minutes ago, Marklo said:

There’s a Swiss one with a shark mouth which is equally badass, which I may attempt, but I’m not sure my hand painting skills are up to it.

dee9a763-18d1-4aab-8723-7bf8a515fdac.jpehmm I’ve also noticed that the first one is a G14 not a G6 not a terribly difficult conversion but still extra work, hmmm.

Darn, so is the Finnish one hmmm….

Oh I’ll figure it out when I get there…

Ive seen these decals before just cant remember where ? Its possible you might be able to find a set ? 

In 1:72 

http://www.risingdecals.com/Bf-109/72-012_Swiss.htm

https://www.modelimex.com/172-bf-109g-6saiman-202m-swiss-air-force-2-in-1-korpk72097

Kora made a kit so maybe someone has a spare set ? https://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2953

• Thanks 1

Are they G-14s?  How can you tell?  Particularly when working from old profiles that wouldn't be up to recognising subtle differences?  I don't think the Swiss got any G-14s, and not so sure about the Finns - maybe a few.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

...and not so sure about the Finns - maybe a few.

They were all G-2:s, -6:s or -8:s. Yet one can´t tell a high tail, Erla-haube, tall tailwheel and a morane-antenna G-6 from a G-14 without seeing the paperwork. But none of them were G-14:s.

V-P

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its possible you might be able to find a set ? 

I’m a cheapskate at heart, plus I’m on a tight budget vis a vis modelling, I’ll either hand paint or print a set or possibly a combination of both.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Are they G-14s?

I have both a decal sheet and the italeri kit showing the Finnish one as a G6. I think your right about the Swiss too as I think they bought E lbs and early Gs from the Germans. I’m not sure the G14 was exported any foreign service machines I know if were captured.

32 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Yet one can´t tell a high tail, Erla-haube, tall tailwheel and a morane-antenna G-6 from a G-14 without seeing the paperwork.

True. Ideally I’ll hint down some photos as they’re the best reference. I have pictures for the Hungarian, German,  Spanish and Croatian machines.

571a5ee0-12e9-4eac-a1db-fe8b9f1e25ae.jpeFound this image, so the tall tail is correct, but I probably agree it’s more likely a non standard G6 than a G14.

Now torn between the two schemes :) 

Edited by Marklo

12 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Found this image, so the tall tail is correct, but I probably agree it’s more likely a non standard G6 than a G14. Now torn between the two schemes :) 

What was a standard G-6 then :rofl2:

• Haha 2

Let us agree on "not an early G-6".  Nor a mid-production one, I suspect.  A bit vague but reasonably safe (if not a G-8).

In posting my comment, I meant to draw attention to the near-impossibility in distinguishing G-6s frm G-14s, and rather hoping that someone would actually come up with the differences that did exist.  The obvious one is that G-6s were predominantly powered by the DB605A, whereas G-14s by the DB605AM.  I don't believe that there is any difference in the cowling, but there may well be a different or extra access panle on the fuselage.  I have seen a reference to a "G-14 wing" which IIRC refered to the positioning of an oxygen bottle - again perhaps indicative of a change of access panel somewhere.  However, the G-6/G-14 story does differ from reference to reference, and I'm not sure just which is safe to take as gospel.  Mermet?

There might have been some minor differences in bumps and bulges. Also the wing bulges for a G6 would have been the smaller teardrop ( sort of) shaped ones not the later K style ( not sure which were on the G14.  I agree it is all nigh impossible to correctly identify later model 109s as even the standardised models weren’t.

As for the Finnish and Swiss machines I’ll call them late model G6s with tall tails as that’s the most probable model but in reality who knows.

I have the two Squadron/signal books in the 109 which I tend to take as gospel, particularly as they tend to back up the text and drawings with photos.

Edited by Marklo

I like the SS books too, at least as presenting a good account at the time they were written.  (Their misrepresentation of mid-war Luftwaffe camouflage in RAF Day Fighter colours is another matter.)  There are however better, for there has been much work done on the later aircraft since, particularly but not exclusively the AS/D-engined variants.  Without presenting what could be a long list, look for the MMP book(s) for a better account of these - and maybe for the G-14 too?

• Like 1

This is why I’m trying to find a photo for each build which should nail the configuration;?then using best guess for the actual colours and or picking the ones I like best eg the Croatian and one of the Yugoslavian could be 76/81/82 or 76/81/83 no real idea which should be which but I’ll probably do one in each just for varieties sake ( although for some reason mist images of the Croatian one are Braunviolet)

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

As for the Finnish ... ...machines I’ll call them late model G6s with tall tails as that’s the most probable model but in reality who knows.

The Finns know :yahoo:

(I didn't want to hi-jack your thread, so I moved the Finnish G-6 information to References-thread.)

V-P

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

I have the two Squadron/signal books in the 109 which I tend to take as gospel, particularly as they tend to back up the text and drawings with photos.

be careful on that; I have several Squadron books on WW1 types and I've noticed errors. I've also seen some errors in the Squadron Late 109 book

• Thanks 1

Ah well we will endeavour to be as accurate as possible, but do remember in my modelling cabinet I rule :) ( it’s about the only place btwas I suspect even the cat trumps me in other areas)

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

didn't want to hi-jack your thread, so I moved the Finnish G-6 information to References-thread

Trust me I don’t  mind. Thanks for posting that, I’ll go through it in more detail when I get stuck into the build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not getting near the bench much as a few 1:1 scale projects have taken precedence plus of course left me a bit worn out owing to my ME. I also want to finish a few other builds before throwing myself into this GB :) But still chipping away.

resized_1ca1a408-0df7-4468-b40a-2b250714A little more pre work. As at least one of the G6s looks to have a tall tail I decided to make a tall and a short tail mold, along with parts for a few other projects. The mold is made using silicone sealant and washing up liquid. I will use fastcast resin to make the parts.

481510fb-86d6-44e3-8d64-bc7f69d56579.jpeAnd a little light reading to get me in a 109 frame of mind. 9% read so far and it’s a good read.

• Like 4

My resin arrived in the post today (poly craft 100)much faster than expected  so we might be delving into the dark arts of resin casting at the weekend, more I might add because I need engines and wheels for my Alcock and Swallow but a few 109 tail planes may get cast too :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

resized_81ae949d-7f81-4c78-bf6c-2f8bcc37The collective sprue shot. Two italeri G6s, one hasegawa G6, one heller K4, three Revell G10s and three Airfix Es.

Doing a bit of deck clearance before I start into this build properly. I’m going to finish the Oertz, the Alcock, the Flivver and the Gee Bee and possible the four 1/144 jets, then get stuck in ( sounds like a lot, but except for the Oertz there’s probably only an hour or so of bench time needed for each one) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5