Tamiya 1/48 Messerschmitt BF-109 G-6

Build #8 - First time Ive posted in the "in progress" section! first of all a word just to say that this kit is excellent, its what you'd expect from Tamiya there are lots of clever moulding features to make the parts fit together seamlessly! this is the kit with the removable engine cowling so it'll be interesting to see how it comes together...

I'll be using Vallejo Model Air for the entire kit, but i'd like to know any advise for airbrushing "yellow" - ive had issues with both the basic yellow and yellow ochre in terms of coverage they seem very translucent- is it just a case of adding multiple coats, or are there any recommendation for a good yellow pigment?

spacer.png

Firstly I constructed as much as i could ready for a coat of neutral grey, i've added the etched parts from the Eduard detailing kit to the landing gear. there are a lot of small individual parts which make up the engine, mounts and machine gun housing and they all seem to need to be painted individually - we'll see as the build progresses!

E2KDKBYWQAQav2a?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Next I added details to the inner cockpit and added the photo etched panels

E2KDpcVXsAIve1a?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Now for the pilots seat, again all parts fitted together perfectly - didnt want to go overboard with the weathering, just a few scratches on the seat

E2KEXv7XEAEWVNb?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

Everything side by side before gluing 

E2KEb__XsAYeL-1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Coming together very well

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Christer A said:

That looks like an excellent kit!

You did great work on it too 🙂

For spraying yellow, I always undercoat with pink which gives a nice warm yellow tone.

Thanks for the advise, every little helps - guess it comes down to having a little patients and applying as many coats as it takes.

Got a bit carried away with the build, managed to progress quite a bit. I've more or less finished the engine and attached the wings to the fuselage - sorry for not taking more pics during the build process but the end results are looking very good

E2TSQYsXIAEYW0L?format=jpg&name=4096x409

So here you can see the individual engine sections and the cowlings that make up the nose cone, none of which are glued on purpose....this model allows you to swap parts so that the engine can be on display or completely covered.

E2TSTmzXMAIjvEI?format=jpg&name=4096x409

here with the strut braces, top side of the engine and machine guns - you can see one of the magnets just above the prop shaft - that one will hold the propeller in place. there's also another one under the engine to hold the sump and the underside engine cover in place.

E2TSOKqWYAEjqMk?format=jpg&name=4096x409

And here with the open engine cover in place 

• Like 1