Early PR Spitfires

dad's lad

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

A mere £858.87:D  I'm quite for paying for something really useful but that seems a tad excessive.

I just could sell my copy for £858.50... 😎😆

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I'd not trust Model Alliance research, plenty of it was erm, not great.

Even Model Alliance cannot agree with themselves it seems. I've just looked again at their decal sheet and there are TWO interpretations of what I assume to be the same aircraft:

One in PRU blue with no name, code letter S (incorrectly captioned as PP880 although the profile shows BP880)

One in dark blue with the name Flying Scotsman, code letter S and serial BP880

Madness...

Edited by dad's lad

(Posting deleted.  OOPs.. slipped cog, thanks Alt-92.)

BP880 was intended for the ME, but on 16-3-42 crashed en route.  presumably not very far, but it did take over three months before the next record, at Heston Aircraft, presumably for repairs.  It then spent a while at Benson before being noted in India 23-9-43.  So despite long gaps in its history it will not have spent anytime in the ME to be repainted. Whether it would  have been repainted in India seems doubtful at this stage.  The two photos of her in The Eyes of the Phoenix do not appear to be dark enough.  One of the photos shows the nose, with the name present.  The other shows the camera lens sticking out below the fuselage.