Kitty Hawk Sepecat Jaguar T2

spacer.png

So this little beauty arrived in the post this morning, being an ex Boscombe Down guy there was only one choice about which scheme it'll be! Annoyingly there's errors in the scheme. The decals are for XX830 but 830 never had the NDT stripes on the tail, also they were yellow not white although I've seen photos where the underside ones look like chromate primer. then there's the box showing two fuel tanks then only suppling one. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scoobydoof said:

spacer.png

So this little beauty arrived in the post this morning, being an ex Boscombe Down guy there was only one choice about which scheme it'll be! Annoyingly there's errors in the scheme. The decals are for XX830 but 830 never had the NDT stripes on the tail, also they were yellow not white although I've seen photos where the underside ones look like chromate primer. then there's the box showing two fuel tanks then only suppling one. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Cheers,

Chris

Keep an eye out for poor fit, poor instructions and general Kitty Hawkery. My Jag was never completed and is now a paint mule.

You are a brave man, but imagine the sense of achievement when you finish it. Good luck!

1 hour ago, DonH said:

Keep an eye out for poor fit, poor instructions and general Kitty Hawkery. My Jag was never completed and is now a paint mule.

You are a brave man, but imagine the sense of achievement when you finish it. Good luck!

What can I say? I like a challenge, a long term project is to build the Sword Lightning T4 as the Boscombe Down Gate Guardian, but I need to measure the struts that hold the real thing up at some point!

• Like 1

I’ll be watching this as I’ve had my eye on one of these for ages, but so many people on here say it’s a rubbish kit. That plus the ridiculously high prices have so far put me off. A shame as I’d love to build a twin tub Jag in 6 Sqn markings. Maybe your build will convince me it’s finally worth shelling out for ...

I've only built the single seat kit as a GR3A, but I'm guessing everything rear of the cockpit is common to both kits.

Look out for poor fit of any panel that is poseable open, if you are fitting it closed. The wing leading edge is the wrong shape outboard of the wing fences. The leading edge slats are too deep. The wing pylons are French versions, they need surgery to do RAF ones. As you have already said, there is only 1 1200 ltr drop tank, and that is the wrong shape. Get a pair from Flightpath, they are good. The ejection seats are French type, not the Matin Baker Mk 9B's it should have.

If you need any reference photo's for details, have a look in the walkaround section of BM. There are loads of photo's of the Jags at Cosford.

Good luck.

Rob.

spacer.pngspacer.png

The Kit comes with 2 sets of seats, I'm guessing the one on the left is their representation of a Mk9. I'll have a look at some after market ones. I was only going to have the one tank but it its the wrong shape I'll go for after market ones, maybe pylons at the same time.

It was interesting that it comes with a CBLS pod as well as the Phimat and TIALD from the Op Granby kit

• Like 1

That's an improvement on the seat option. You could use those, my single seat GR1/3 kit only had the seat on the right!

I don't think there are any AM pylons out there, the kit one's can be changed with a bit of cutting and sanding.

I found that in the single seat RAF version of the kit that the kit seat is too short compared to the real item.. I think that this is because the kit cockpit is too shallow so they (KH) fudged this by making the seat shorter. This is not an issue if you intend to use the kit seats(s) but if you use resin replacements you will find that the resin seats are taller, especially of you have the canopy closed.

Phone Phixer mentioned most of the errors and the fit issues, again, these a re really only an issue when attempting to close panels that the kits provide  as poseable open. The area I found problematic area fit wise was the rear engine access doors and the engine/fuselage panels between the engines. There is also a nasty fuselage seam that passes right through the upper fuselage NACA scoop. Some people deal with this by cutting away the interior of the NACA scoop and adding a triangle of plastic sheet to the inside. The lower fuselage seam around the undercarriage bays is also terrible as it tends to pull inwards unless some sort of bracing is employed. The centreline pylon can go some way to disguising this seam, but I am not sure if a Boscombe Down jet would have used them?

One other error not mentioned yet is that the APU exhaust is correctly depicted on the left side speed brake well, but the detail is mirrored on the right side speed brake well which is wrong as this is where the single point refueling detail should be,

cheers,

Pappy 

• Thanks 1

To make it more fun the rear fuselage halves have been squashed slightly so the undersides are bent upwards. I widened and extended the slot for the wall separating the engines so that it would fit. Just need to find a decent Zinc Chromate colour when my LHS is open

Hi Chris

I'm watching your progress with great interest. I had a crack at this kit last year and struggled at just about every step.

Especially the main landing gear where the only saviour was walkaround pictures of the real thing to use as a guide.

Regarding paint for internal panels (Zinc Chromate) I used Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green which seemed quite good.

I did eventually finish the kit in 226OCU markings (with a home made tartan decal on the fin) and with wing drop tanks taken from an Airfix GR3.

I was reasonably pleased with the outcome - but I'm looking forward to seeing how an expert tackles this kit.

Best of luck

Tim

Also I've figured out the issue with the fit of the various panels in the closed position, kitty hawk have done. Nice job doing in inner surfaces but the latches then interfere with them being closed, if you remove the detail at the edges and a small amount of material along the hinge line the fit isn't that bad in most cases

Edited by Scoobydoof
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scoobydoof said:

I'd like to see an expert make one too!! I was going to record all the errors to feedback to kitty hawk but I heard this afternoon that they were closing down...

That's what their Facebook page says. Kitty Hawk/Panda to close down.

• 2 weeks later...