PART 2: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Late Gustav (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G14 -> G6) ***FINISHED***

47 minutes ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

What a great 109, Ray! Props on the leather wheel well covers, very convincing!

Yet another thing I learn from your build threads, is that the exhaust stacks on the 109s aren't interchangable left-right side. 

I am really glad you like it. It seems the wheel covers were canvas and then I read in one of the references that they were leather or canvas and then sometimes they appear dark and sometimes light so I took an each way bet and picked a colour for leather or dirty canvas. 

I grabbed my Quickboost resin replacement exhausts and compared them to the Eduard offering. Both have the angle in the fishtail sweeping away from the top side towards the bottom side.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 63

I checked the part numbers this time and Eduard has it right:

BM BF-109G6 Construction 64

Of course you can buy the QB replacements with the cast guards as suggested by @Retired Bob or use the integral guarded plastic version as provided as an option by Eduard and you can't get it wrong. Now we know though. 😉

Ray.

• Like 5

Superb result on the G, (as on the E btw) beautifully neat paintwork.

The close up of the cockpit looks brilliant. 

Any suggestions/recommendations for the aerial wire, never really figured that part of wingy thing modelling..🤔

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Any suggestions/recommendations for the aerial wire, never really figured that part of wingy thing modelling

Hi Darryl,

On these last two builds I used Infini Elastic Black Lycra Rigging. On the E-3 the 0.082 mm and the G-6 the 0.048 mm. Really enjoyed the experience. Glues extremely well and quickly with CA. No accelerator. Made the aerial wire tensioner spring bodies with stretched plastic Q-Tip handle and the insulators with small dabs of CA/Talc mix.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 65

Threading the stuff can be challenging, due to its flexibility. I found if I CA glued a fine piece of copper wire to the thread I could easily thread it.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 66

When you tension it up it loads up nicely without putting too much force on the attachment points. I would say that for me the ultra fine fishing line and stretched sprue aerial wires will now go the way of polystyrene tube glue - rare and special circumstances. This stuff is too easy to use. There are a number of brands available. You can tell I was impressed.

4 hours ago, Niknak said:

Excellent work as always Ray. 

Thanks Nick. Are you going to jump into this GB?

Ray 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Darryl,

On these last two builds I used Infini Elastic Black Lycra Rigging. On the E-3 the 0.082 mm and the G-6 the 0.048 mm. Really enjoyed the experience. Glues extremely well and quickly with CA. No accelerator. Made the aerial wire tensioner spring bodies with stretched plastic Q-Tip handle and the insulators with small dabs of CA/Talc mix.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 65

Threading the stuff can be challenging, due to its flexibility. I found if I CA glued a fine piece of copper wire to the thread I could easily thread it.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 66

When you tension it up it loads up nicely without putting too much force on the attachment points. I would say that for me the ultra fine fishing line and stretched sprue aerial wires will now go the way of polystyrene tube glue - rare and special circumstances. This stuff is too easy to use. There are a number of brands available. You can tell I was impressed.

Thanks Nick. Are you going to jump into this GB?

Ray 

Was planning to build a bf 109 k-14 for this gb Ray, using the eduard k-4 and the antares conversion set...... Eduard haven't released the k-4 yet. I could use the hasegawa k-4 that the antares set is designed for. But as I'm on building a couple of eduard fw 190 a's a a-2 & a-8 r2. And converting another 1/48 airfix ju 87 b to a g-2. This time. I don't think I'll get it finished in time again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I do have the unshielded Quickboost exhausts and did not use them as I thought they did not add anything significant over the Eduard item, other than the latter do seem fractionally big to my eye. 

The slightly too prominent kit exhausts were picked up on a couple of reviews, "toothy" was the description by Hyperscale.  It's a thing I've been trying to get right on my kits. :smile:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Niknak said:

I don't think I'll get it finished in time

I understand, seems you have a lot of German subjects on the go. 

12 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

Switching to part 3! 

I am looking forward to it Steve, Trying not to start it immediately. Need to get some others things done not related to the modelling bench. A difficult ask as I enjoy the subject material and these Eduard kits. I might just have to take a few items off the sprue tonight. Also, there is plenty of time remaining in this GB and I have the Tamiya G-6 sitting there. A very tempting No. 4 OOB subject.  

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

The slightly too prominent kit exhausts were picked up on a couple of reviews, "toothy" was the description by Hyperscale. 

Probably a good description. They seem to need to waist in a little more where they attach to the cylinder head and be thinned out overall a fraction. The QB item did not appear significantly better to my eye. Not a big deal though and it only come to my mind when looking at my close up photo. 

Ray

• Like 1

On 03/07/2021 at 15:26, Ray_W said:

Hi Darryl,

Thanks Ray, I'll have to look out for that lycra rigging,  makes it sound so easy... 👍

Cheers 

• Like 1