PART 2: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Late Gustav (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G14 -> G6) ***FINISHED***

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

should work out very nicely

Hi Craig,

It is good to have a photo of your chosen subject but in many ways it is also a curse. I was not totally happy last night and, me being me, when I woke up this morning, I had to fix a couple of irritations. I decided to widen the fuselage band a fraction a little more towards the fin. Also, the national markings need to move outwards slightly.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 36

The latter is exasperated because looking at the photo evidence, the Kora Decals are fractionally small. I thought the same on my E-3 build. I think there is less than a millimetre in it, just enough to not make it worthwhile cutting and masking my own. Frankly, only noticeable when you spend your time studying the period photos.

You can tell I was happy with the spinner, because it is now sneaking into all the images.

Ray

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Tidy work on all those little corrections Ray.

8 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

You can tell I was happy with the spinner, because it is now sneaking into all the images.

To be fair you've every right to be proud of that one :lol:

• Like 2

Corrected the mark positions and was able to get some RLM 76 on the underside (Gunze Mr. Color C117). Usual process with a random marble coat and light finishing coat.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 37

That spinner is a show off. In the image again. Ok, excused this time, really looking a Gustav.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 38

Now it is decision time. What wing scheme? Only image is this. Well, there are actually two but both are from the same side. The other does shows a slight amount of the wing top. Not that useful. All still a guess.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 4

Looking at Bulgarian G-6's supplied around the same time, some have the scalloped leading edge and no dark RLM 74 on the starboard flap. A lot of repainting going on though - German Balkenkreuz overpainted, use of a Bulgarian light grey, strange positions for the splinter (possibly a reverse scheme if the WNF beast truly existed) and definitely no complex splinter pattern to be seen (yes on the G-2's).  So I opted for a wing planform scheme from MTT Regensburg. Only scheme where the starboard flap is in RLM 75 and it fits with the image shown, be it there are some locally applied dollops of what I am taking to be RLM 74.

My recent Tamiya G-6 purchase has such a scheme. Side view also ain't too far off. 

BM BF-109G6 Construction 39

Also, seems to fit with this:

https://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/2013/10/chosing-correct-wingpattern-for-bf109g-6.html

So in lieu of better information, I'll commit to the above and start cutting a scallop mask for the leading edge. 

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
clarification
  • Like 10

Great build so far. Bulgaria’s one of the countries I haven’t decided to build yet, hmm.

By the time the G6 got in to production it was being manufactured by at a number if factories (bfw, ago, FW, WNV an I can’t remember the others) so default camo even if standardised by factory is going to vary a bit. Again with all things 109 every possible combination was probably built so look to your references if you’re worried about pinpoint accuracy.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Some very detailed research Ray, looks like you have come to the right decision on the camouflage, makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks Craig,

Yes it makes sense and I am happy with the result now the wings are done. 

I was hoping to finish the painting this weekend but sadly run out of good light so will leave the spline and mottling for later in the week. At least the wings and scalloped leading edge are done. Weathered the top colours a little. Simply slight colour variation and black basing. A few things to tidy up. Colours are Gunze lacquers C36 RLM 74 and C37 RLM 75. 

BM BF-109G6 Construction 40

Ray

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Marklo said:

so look to your references if you’re worried about pinpoint accuracy

Thanks @Marklo. I have been hunting through my Bulgarian references and the above reflect what I have read and my best assumptions. Finally I get to a stage where it's was time to make a call.  I think the result is OK.

17 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Bulgaria’s one of the countries I haven’t decided to build yet, hmm.

I am using the 1/48 Kora Decals range. I always thought that the tight grey "worm" mottle of Red 6 with the red spinner would make an interesting subject. 

BM BF-109G6 Construction 41

Not for me this time around. I have a post war Bulgarian 109 up next in this STGB and that should see me out.

Ray 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great job on the wings Ray, the colour variation has given a nice subtle weathered look and I really like the scalloped leading edges.

Thanks Craig, I must admit that this is another build that I am enjoying immensely. A bit like Spitfires, I never tire of building 109's. I will have to get up early tomorrow before work and try and get the painting finished. Really looking forward to a gloss coat and some decals.

Ray

• Like 1

13 hours ago, srkirad said:

can't wait to see the mottling and spine coloring!

Thanks for the kind remarks and not long to wait. 

Finished the colour coats and ready for a gloss coat. Up early this morning and was able to press on and get this done. 

This side we know:

BM BF-109G6 Construction 43

And this side we don't, so a little speculation on my part.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 42

Decals and details to come.

Ray

• Like 14

Thanks Greg @GREG DESTEC and S. @srkirad for following along as I try to nail down the scheme for this particular aircraft. The forward mottling is hidden on the actual aircraft by either a judicious application of RLM 74 or considerable exhaust staining - probably both. I decided to adjust the forward camo mottle a little more like the Tamiya profile. I also spent some time studying and adjusting the cowling camo profile. Seems the top side RLM 74 extends to the spinner. Also made a couple of other minor adjustments.  

It is definitely an interesting scheme. Very pleased with the final outcome.  

Gloss coated Gunze GX-112 and ready for decals tomorrow. The white reflection off the cutting mat is making the lower mottles appear a different shade of RLM 74. Ain't so. Trick of the angle.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 44

BM BF-109G6 Construction 45

Ray

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

it's gonna be good

Thanks Greg, hope so.  Interesting bit will be deciding how far I want to go with the exhaust stains. This aircraft looks grubby. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Steve 1602 and @The Rib Man  looks nice with some decals.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 46

It was the right move to pre-paint a white base for the Kora Decals. You can see the difference here between the "7" (no base coat) and the Bulgarian Cross (with base coat). These batch of decals are not as transparent as those on my Emil build.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 48

The variation between the fuselage band and the "7" is noticeable although possibly not worth the re-paint. I think I'll leave it as is. In fact if I had not re-painted the fuselage band to widen it, thereby making it a more saturated white, it would of been an ideal match for the "7". 

BM BF-109G6 Construction 50

The decals were quite robust. Stiffer than other Kora Decals I have previously used. In this case, I used a warm to hot water and Tamiya Decal Adhesive (Softener Type) under the decal. This product takes a while to work its wonders so I also applied some Micro Sol to the top of the decals. Nothing seemed to happen. A couple more coats of Micro Sol and left it and they sucked into the detail nicely.

20210629_110805

BM BF-109G6 Construction 47

I do not know whether the Tamiya product achieved this alone or whether the Micro Sol made a contribution. Whatever, it worked and with no compatibility issues. I can't complain. If they look painted on you have to be happy.  

Ray

• Like 16

Thanks Craig @modelling minion and @Col. for your great support through the build. I used a trick for the first time that others have found useful. You may find it interesting.

This G-6 did not appear to have a lot of stencilling, either not obvious or did not survive re-paint, wear and tear. Just a few nice things like the fuel type (was this a sticker in real life?), battery and oxygen filler locations, nameplate and the oil cooler stencilling. I also decided to add the wing walkway stencils for some self-flagellation  All using the Eduard stencils in the box. Walkway stencils, the bane of my life, looks like they will silver. 🙄

BM BF-109G6 Construction 51

Most of us have read about Eduard's serendipitous discovery that you can remove the carrier film from their decals. Using a sharp scalpel, I lifted a corner and proceeded to peel off the carrier film with my tweezers.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 52

It was surprisingly easy. 

BM BF-109G6 Construction 54

Note that the decals were dry. Job completed 8 hours ago. I did not moisten them or use any softening agent, Simply lift and peel. Great result.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 53

I was so excited with the outcome that I decided to do all the stencils even though the carrier film was not obvious and I know from experience that it will disappear under a clear coat. 

Here's a result. Lovely!

BM BF-109G6 Construction 55

I then encapsulated the decals in GX-112 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner - no reaction. Like this.

BM BF-109G6 Construction 56

I am now looking forward to using the Eduard decals on a larger job - NMF a must.

Ray

• Like 16