Bayraktar TB2 UCAV in 1/72 ?

Uncle Dick

I have been wanting to build a TB 2 for some time in 1/72 (wing span works out close to 16cm in 172 so nice size) - however no one makes it and only TAN MODEL as far as I am aware has made it in 1/24 scale.

Poland has just announced they will be buying 24, also Ukraine has a few already as do some other nations - so hopefully that will give some impetus for someone to make a nice model of same in 1/72 as hoping for Tan Model to down scale their 1/24 model is almost without hope!

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes one of the main reasons I started this thread is to try and interest Polish and Ukraine model kit manufacturer to make it injection moulded in 1/72 and to see that the subject is of interest and would be a popular model as the representatives from the kit manufacturers do browse these forums!

I have noticed Azeri and some Ukraine TB2 with 3 bladed propellors (see images below), while I presume earlier models had the 2 bladed propellor - does anyone know what the different versions are designated and whether there are any other differences.

I understand the manufacturer Baykar will be using Turkish designed and produced engines and other substitute components that have been sanctioned/embargoed.

The TB 3 will also be of interest with folding wings for use off the TCG Anadolu LHD.

spacer.png

spacer.png

An interesting design feature of the TB2 is the fixed main undercarriage under the wings which does not retract and the nose gear which retracts (see below illustration) to allow unobstructed forward view for the camera turret.

spacer.png 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

to try and interest Polish and Ukraine model kit manufacturer to make it injection moulded in 1/72

Polish manufacturers will not make it as injection moulded kit. Maybe resin one and this is still very doubtful.

Ukrainian? Maybe Amodel / Avis, maybe Armory, maybe A&A Models. TBH Unicraft could make resin one, they released some UAVs before.

6 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

and to see that the subject is of interest and would be a popular model

No offense, but it's really hard to say that UAVs are popular. The vast majority of such models are resin kits, there are literally a few injection moulded ones, much more famous than the Turkish one.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know where to buy the models of the Bayraktar TB2 and Akinci seen in these video clips from the Teknofest Aviation event held recently in Turkey, the TB2 looks to be 1/48 scale (give or take) which works out to a wingspan of 25cm, the Akiinci looks to be 1/72 scale (give or take) which works out to be 27.8cm ?

https://twitter.com/Baykar_Savunma/status/1440712300386684933

https://twitter.com/Baykar_Savunma/status/1441084241715027968

• Like 1

On 27/05/2021 at 21:07, Piotr Mikolajski said:

No offense, but it's really hard to say that UAVs are popular. The vast majority of such models are resin kits, there are literally a few injection moulded ones, much more famous than the Turkish one.

There have been main stream injection kits of many drones/UAVs and they seem to sell.  The "Turkish" one is more famous than you think being involved successfully in recent conficts.

4 hours ago, Julien said:

There have been main stream injection kits of many drones/UAVs and they seem to sell

I wrote above: "there are literally a few injection moulded ones":

1/35

• 2012 - Academy 12117 - U.S. Army RQ-7B UAV

1/48

• 2011 - Skunkmodels 48009 - Northrop Grumman RQ-4B Global Hawk Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
  • 2011 - Skunkmodels 48013 - MQ-9 Reaper Unmanned Aerial Vehicle → rebox by Revell in 2012 (04865) and by Kinetic in 2020 (K48067)

1/72

• 2008 - Platz - AC-1 - RQ-1A Predator (also AC-2 - MQ-1A Predator in 2008 and AC-3 - MQ-1B (L) Predator in 2009) → rebox by Accurate Miniatures in 2008 (0412) and by Italeri in 2008 (1279) and in 2010 (1279)
  • 2010 - Platz - AC-4 - RQ-4B Global Hawk (also AC-5 - Northrop-Grumman RQ-4N (NAVY) Global Hawk BAMS in 2011, cancelled AC-10 - RQ-4B Global Hawk Maintenance Version from 2015, AC-34SP - RQ-4B Global Hawk "Yokota AB" Special Edition w/JASDF Decals in 2020) → rebox by Italeri in 2010 (1298)
  • 2011 - Skunkmodels - 72003 - MQ-9 Reaper Unmanned Aerial Vehicle → rebox by Italeri in 2012 (1320) and by Kinetic in 2020 (K72004)

Six moulds in three scales released since 2008. Indeed looks to be a very popular theme and apparently breaking sales records.

4 hours ago, Julien said:

The "Turkish" one is more famous than you think being involved successfully in recent conficts.

Let me think which mainstream manufacturer cares about this popularity within a complete niche market and how much it changes the calculation of production profitability.

Well, yes, that is what I was thinking. None.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Let me think which mainstream manufacturer cares about this popularity within a complete niche market and how much it changes the calculation of production profitability.

We shall see.

• 1 year later...