PART 1: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Early Emil (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 E4 -> E3) ***FINISHED***

9 hours ago, Ray_W said:

First time use of Tamiya Decal Adhesive and found it an excellent product. I tend to think silvering has less to do with surface finish and more to do with decal adhesive and this product seems to solve the problem nicely.

I must get a bottle of that, I totally agree that if the decals do not have sufficient adhesive, no matter how glossy the surface they will silver like a Cyberman. :winkgrin:

Your 109 is looking superb Ray, and also an unusual but attractive scheme. :thumbsup: (I've been doing too much gardening)

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:18 AM, Retired Bob said:

I've been doing too much gardening

Sometimes when I am doing kit mods it feels like gardening. 🤣 

Not in this case. The kit has been a delight. 

I used some Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (Brown). A minimalist pin wash trying not to accentuate the rivets, which are a little overdone by Eduard, like the fuselage section joins. Some residual gets left behind and the effect is OK. I do like the brown panel staining that acts as a filter, blending everything together and toning down the yellow. Exhaust staining and some key and limited panel line post shading will also help.

BM Bf-109E3 Construction 52

The Tamiya product is an enamel and dries quickly. Certainly dries more quickly that my old home brew oils and naphtha mix. I have still left it over 24 hours as the top coating will be a lacquer product Gunze GX-114 Flat Clear.

Again, the advantage of your own close-up photography, looks like I missed the clean up on that inside gear leg door. 

BM Bf-109E3 Construction 50

BM Bf-109E3 Construction 51

So flat coat, modest weathering and some details and this should be, all going well, finished in the next post.

Ray

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That is a nice scheme

Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the RLM 62 green. Makes for an interesting change.

Ray

• Like 1

Looking very nice with the panel line wash, it's a good feeling when everything is going well and you are on the last lap. :like:

(My thread is turning into gardeners world with tips on how to deal with clay soil. :facepalm:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Part One is complete. Some final photos under the artificial light tonight. Should get some better ones for the gallery tomorrow. 

BM Bf-109E3 Final 1

BM Bf-109E3 Final 2

BM Bf-109E3 Final 3

BM Bf-109E3 Final 7

BM Bf-109E3 Final 5

BM Bf-109E3 Final 6

BM Bf-109E3 Final 4

BM Bf-109E3 Final 9

Posted the gallery images here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235094093-messerschmitt-bf-109-stgb-gallery/&do=findComment&comment=4108894

Thanks for following along. It has been a most enjoyable start to this GB. See you on your builds. Next up a late war G-6.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Added Link
  • Like 20

• Ray_W changed the title to PART 1: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Early Emil (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 E4 -> E3) ***FINISHED***

@srkirad Thanks for the kind words. A very satisfying build.  Next build I am back to more traditional RLM74, 75, 76.

• Like 1

What a great result Ray, absolutely fantastic.

I really do like the colours you went with and wonder how they would work for some of the unusual schemes worn by JG-54 on their F's.

You have definitely made me want to add this scheme to my 109 collection.

Very well done mate.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You have definitely made me want to add this scheme to my 109 collection.

Hi Craig,

Please do, I find the Kora Decals quite good so you can easily get some good options for Bulgarian subjects. 

I have the Mirage Hobby Bulgarian PZL.24B with the red fuselage and spat striping for the High Wing GB later in the year. Early Tsarist roundel. Also, looking forward to that one.

Ray

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

Please do, I find the Kora Decals quite good so you can easily get some good options for Bulgarian subjects. 

I have the Mirage Hobby Bulgarian PZL.24B with the red fuselage and spat striping for the High Wing GB later in the year. Early Tsarist roundel. Also, looking forward to that one.

Ray

That sounds like a really interesting project Ray, and colourful too.

• Like 1

Another excellent model Ray, I always come away with a few new tips after following one of your builds.

May I ask what you used to get the scuff marks on the wing roots? They look very good, suitably subdued. This is an area where 'less is generally more'. Most WW2 fighters had wear in this area, but translating it convincingly to model is one of the hardest tasks.

• Like 1

That is a beautiful model Ray, well done. :thumbsup: 

I must ask about your aerial adornments, do you use anything special to make the insulators and the cone shaped thing that prevents mice entering the cockpit?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

May I ask what you used to get the scuff marks on the wing roots?

Hi Charlie,  I'm glad you like it. I use an artist's silver pencil. Currently using a Pablo Caran D'Ache Permanent Colour. Keep it sharp and dab rather than draw. Remove what you do not want with a moistened Q-Tip. I then use a wide soft brush to remove any loose silver speckles. The surface needs to be matt. Seems to work very well in 1/48. 

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I must ask about your aerial adornments

Thanks Bob, nothing special. The white insulators are just dabs of CA/talc painted off-white and the cones are polystyrene rod (or stretched sprue) drilled, shaped and parted off. I used a stretched Q-Tip shaft (grab the plastic ones while you can) for the dropper insulator into the radio compartment. The main aerial wire is Infini Aero Rigging 0.082 mm and the dropper is 0.080 mm fishing line.  Everything glued in place with CA.

BM Bf-109E3 Final 8

Ray

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Pablo Caran D'Ache Permanent Colour

Thanks for that Ray. I've googled it and came up with pencils. Is that what you use? I'd assumed a marker of some sort.

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Look how tiny a 109 is next to a Stuka

Tiny - I'll say! As I'm finding after the last 6 months building a 1/24 plane. Can't hold it, can't see it!

• Like 1

A superb build Ray. It’s a great scheme and Bulgarian use of the type was something I was pretty ignorant about until your build thread - every day is a learning opportunity! Photos here and in the gallery are great. Tuning in for part 2! 👏

38 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I've googled it and came up with pencils.

Charlie, yes pencils. Here are both sides giving you the details. I have used others, tends to be what ever the local art shop sells.  These do work well.

BM Bf-109E3 Construction 53

Ray

• Thanks 1