PART 1: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Early Emil (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 E4 -> E3) ***FINISHED***

12 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

A superb build

Thanks Steve, you're very generous. I enjoy my modelling when I can tie a story around it and seeing I spend so much time in Bulgaria, and actually walked the old fighter air strip in Karlovo, found the subject material of great interest. Plenty of interesting subjects. 

Ray 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Bob, nothing special. The white insulators are just dabs of CA/talc painted off-white and the cones are polystyrene rod (or stretched sprue) drilled, shaped and parted off. I used a stretched Q-Tip shaft (grab the plastic ones while you can) for the dropper insulator into the radio compartment. The main aerial wire is Infini Aero Rigging 0.082 mm and the dropper is 0.080 mm fishing line.  Everything glued in place with CA.

Interesting, I will have a practice, I bought some "rig that thing" which is only 0.003mm, this is the size recommended for 1/48th scale aircraft.  The usual problem is that it is so fine that I have problems seeing the stuff as for getting things to stick to it, :wtf:   I have some slightly thicker so that I can see it but it looks so thick on any photos. (Definitely a first world problem)  :winkgrin:

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

0.003mm

0.003 mm is a full size 0.144 mm - gossamer thin. Maybe the 0.003 mm should be 0.003" or 3 thou. that being a full size 0.144" (3.65mm).  

The 0.082 mm being 3.9 mm, close to to a 0.003" size.

30 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

0.003 mm is a full size 0.144 mm - gossamer thin. Maybe the 0.003 mm should be 0.003" or 3 thou. that being a full size 0.144" (3.65mm). 

Checked the card that is with the thread and it just says 0.003 O.D. which is overall diameter, I assumed it was mm because it's Uschi, a German company. 

31 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I assumed it was mm because it's Uschi, a German company. 

Hi Bob,

That answers it, Uschi incorrectly labelled 0.003 mm for 0.03 mm. I went through the exercise of trying to work out their sizes a couple of years ago. 

Their website has it right.

https://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/rigging/

And now BNA Australia labels it correctly as 0.03 mm.

I have never mic'ed these elastic threads to see what their finish size is. In the end it gets down to your own taste. 

I should add that I usually paint the aerial wire a stainless colour.  Should of done this. Makes it less stark.

Ray

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Col. said:

Fine work Ray and quick with it. Congratulations on both counts.

Thanks Col, one of those builds that just went together nicely and consequently I was always looking for an excuse to get back to the bench and push on. I think the big pluses were that it was a clean build (no fettling, filing, filling, finishing), the Tamiya Decal Adhesive worked wonderfully with the Kora decals, and a full Gunze lacquer job so rapid drying time and easy handling.   Looking forward to the next one. 

Ray

• Like 1

Stunning build, first entry in the Gallery and the bar has been substantially raised 😀

Looks great with the Stukas to boot.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I bought some "rig that thing" which is only 0.003mm

Hi Bob,

Looking at the responses coming in on my aerial wire question on the WW2 thread:

I think your 0.03 mm Uschi is a good size. A full size 1.44 mm and close enough, in our scale 1/48, to the 0.040", 19 SWG, 1.02 mm, for US and RAF types. If you're really pedantic you could go for 0.02 mm (full size 0.96 mm). Although with stretching, and the fact these elastic tapes often have a flat section, I think 0.03 mm is a workable size. I am going to add a smaller diameter to my arsenal. 

I am still happy with my Emil though. The Germans seemed to use something heavier. Certainly on the Emil but also evident in later versions. Was it braided and/or coated? I do not know. Some great images here that illustrate what I mean:

https://grafiq.ru/portfolio/messerschmitt-bf-109-g-4/

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 5:40 AM, Mottlemaster said:

A real pleasure to look at

Thanks Alistair, glad you like it - not perfect but it is an attractive scheme.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:47 AM, Johnson said:

very interesting and different colour scheme and markings

Thanks Charlie,  for the kind words. Agree with scheme. Next up a G-6 in mean greys and darker shades. Should make for an interesting contrast.

10 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I do wander why I bother sometimes

Thanks Dave also glad you like it. I saw you comment above an thought the simple answer is 'cause its fun and we're always learning. I always find the hobby for me was improvement and plateau, improvement and plateau. Learn something new, something works for your style and go to the next level. This site is the great resource for techniques and plenty of people ready to jump in with friendly advice. I am always picking up something from others. I am still not where I want be so always looking to the next build to improve something. And then every build has its unique challenges.

Ray 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Beatifull build, Ray!

I just read through the entire topic, a lot of very, very useful tips - thank you for documenting all those hiccups and advices during your build! I started the 1/72 Airfix Bf-109E7 that will represent another Bulgarian Strela from 3/6 orlyak - White 6 with the red devil's head insignia - using Kora's decals, so they are all timed most fortunate! Definitely need to reconsider how I will go about the yellow stripe..

Oh well, just my luck, I stop reading Britmodeller for a few weeks, and there's a 109 GB with Bulgarian birds! Sigh.

Would love to see how you tackle that post-war Bulgarian 109G you were researching, and great trio wearing St. Andrew's cross you have!

Greetings from Sofia!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Beatifull build, Ray!

I just read through the entire topic, a lot of very, very useful tips - thank you for documenting all those hiccups and advices during your build! I started the 1/72 Airfix Bf-109E7 that will represent another Bulgarian Strela from 3/6 orlyak - White 6 with the red devil's head insignia - using Kora's decals, so they are all timed most fortunate! Definitely need to reconsider how I will go about the yellow stripe..

Oh well, just my luck, I stop reading Britmodeller for a few weeks, and there's a 109 GB with Bulgarian birds! Sigh.

Would love to see how you tackle that post-war Bulgarian 109G you were researching, and great trio wearing St. Andrew's cross you have!

Greetings from Sofia!

Thanks Ventsislav,

I am glad you found the build useful. I hope you post some photos of your Strela. Again, I found the Kora Decals nice to use. Worked well with the white background and reacted brilliantly with the Tamiya Decal Adhesive (Softener Type). Picked that up from HobbyCult. I have the Kora Decals for the RLM 74/75/76 G-6 subject. I will be making the masks and spraying all markings on the post war subject. 

I have been quite busy the past couple of weeks so have not posted much progress on the other two. However, this is about to change. Been able to get some bench time so the posts should restart.

Ray

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Ray, Bulgarian Emil looks tremendous, the yellow cowl and stripe really looks the part, great modelling!

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, very kind of you. The Bulgarian Emils do make an attractive subject. Now I am enjoying the build of a dull, very dirty, grey Bulgarian Gustav. Should make for an interesting comparison.

Ray

• Like 1