five quid Revell T-72 M1 build #2 ***done, done and done***

This particular group build seems perfect to bang out a few models that I got cheap to expand my own personal tank museum.  Also for AFVs that aren't part of my current obsessions, those being British WW2 armour and the T-54/55/62 family.

I actually picked up this kit for the gulf war anniversary build because it has an Iraqi decal option, but I left that too late. However at 5 quid it fits nicely in here and I still plan to go the Iraqi route.

I know, I'm not finished the BT-2 however its really just painting now and I need a building fix while waiting for paint to dry.

Capture.PNG

A lovely shot on the sellers garden table.

PXL_20210524_000350279.jpg

Some nice box art and I imagine this kit wasnt over a tenner new either. Hobby Zone? 

PXL_20210524_000404777.jpg

Standard Revell rear end, not shown but its a skill level 4.

PXL_20210524_000451994.jpg

The contents, standard safety leaflet went in the bin.

PXL_20210524_000745895.jpg

A buffet of sprues, it looks good and we get some unneeded outer roadwheel halves or possibly a choice. I need to research this as the difference seems to be the number of bolts or something. :huh:

PXL_20210524_000900062.jpg

Decal close up.

PXL_20210524_000937688.MP.jpg

Two out of the three paint schemes.

• Like 7

With the wheels early A models had 8 indentations between the spokes, but according to Zaloga from 1985 the T-72B was produced with wheels having just 6 indentations - export models seem to have both types depending on who made them and when. Your kit instructions seem to show 6 but the wheels appear to have both versions, perhaps for an earlier version 72A/M.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

With the wheels early A models had 8 indentations between the spokes, but according to Zaloga from 1985 the T-72B was produced with wheels having just 6 indentations - export models seem to have both types depending on who made them and when. Your kit instructions seem to show 6 but the wheels appear to have both versions, perhaps for an earlier version 72A/M.

Pete

The instructions actually have the 8 spoke wheels greyed out, I went for the 6 spoke wheels for the reasons you mentioned, the instructions dont even suggest them being optional. The 8 spokers will go in the bits box.

• Like 1

Hi sardaukar. Another great choice of Armour kit for this GB. I like Revell's AFV kits - haven't got this one - and I will be very interested to follow you build of this one. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

An update

Some progress, part built, lower hull and running gear primed with vallejo black primer.

There are some really interesting pics of Syrian T-72s with improvised applique armour on the internet. Think hastily built metal turret baskets full of rocks, maybe something for a later project.

PXL_20210526_203619478.jpg

• Like 3

Hi sardaukar. Great to see you are underway. Those Syrian T-72 do sound like they'd make interesting models!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hello

Lower hull and running gear is now complete and basecoated. All I can say is wow what a difference these link and length tracks are from the ones on the BT-2 which is my other entry in this group build. The tracks went together very easily, my only complaint would be that they don't give you any spare links, so dont break any taking them off the sprue.

The lower hull is painted in Vallejo MA Sand Yellow as this will be an Iraqi tank.

The upper hull has most of the detail moulded on apart from the glacis plate and its attachments, most of the work is actually for the turret. Next job is attaching 12 smoke launchers.

PXL_20210529_154458492.jpg

• Like 2

The headlight brush guards had been somewhat smooshed, I was hoping a bit of super thin would sort them out but I decided to scratch build some new ones from 0.4mm copper wire that I have on hand for exactly this type of situation.

Not sure how much an inch of copper wire does to the budget :ner:.

It looks a little skewwhiff up close, but good enough. 

PXL_20210529_172754524.jpg

• Like 4

Hi sardaukar. Looks like you are making excellent progress to me. I'm pleased the link & length tracks were okay in this kit and I like your work on the headlight guards! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks

Its a good job this is a long group build. My T-72 has languished on the shelf of doom for pretty much 2 months, how did it end up there? Well life happened as usual (the bars opened I think :cheers:) however a couple of things did put me off.

The latest pics to explain.

PXL_20210730_221050435.jpg

The above is probably the most off putting of the two issues when I came to put the upper and lower hulls together there was a great big dirty gap at the front, I should have done more dry fitting before painting etc.

Some work with the dremel helped a bit, maybe... In the end i filled it with some tamiya extra thick (tamiya extra thin with melted sprue in it), not sure this was the best idea the sprue glue is better for filling holes where you can easily sand the area flush again, probably should've gone for miliput. A bit more clean up and we will see in the end it might end up getting plastered with pigments anyway. 

PXL_20210730_221000674.jpg

You can see some progress has been made. what I find really off putting is the smoke launchers the box art does not match the model parts at all here. On the box art and in real life I believe they are all mounted to the same L shaped bracket, here they are all over the place, for now they can do as is.

Turret has had more details fitted, fuel drum mounts have been added and fuel drums constructed. The fuel drums will be a different colour from the rest of the tank, Ive seen some blues and red fuel drums on models before but I think they will end up soviet green to contrast with the rest of the tank.

Talk again soon, I hope.

Edited by sardaukar
Cant count
  • Like 2

hello, I am getting somewhere, back on track.

PXL_20210801_222650491.jpg

PXL_20210801_222639839.jpg

Construction complete although barrels and tarp are just placed on for now, unditching log is off camera.

Base paint coats done, washes decals weathering to come.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to think this build is cursed.

Something unspeakable happened to the AA machine gun which we won't talk about, I had to nab a replacement from elsewhere.

I was perusing photos of completed T-72 builds and real life tanks for some inspiration when I came across a build of this very kit, which had been made up quite nicely as an Iraqi tank as per my plan. When suddenly out of the blue I realised my scratchbuilt headlight brush guards are on the wrong way round :swear:. No idea what I was thinking at the time, they will have to stay like that now given the amount of superglue on the under side of the them to hold them in place they won't come out easy...or will they...

Hi Sardaukar. I am sorry you are having so many problems with this build! That gap did look annoyingly big. I do agree, some kits do seem to be jinxed. However, I must say, for all that, it is looking excellent! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

It was looking excellent :whistle:.

Who knew that superglue debonder makes a fantastic paint stripper? Maybe everyone, is it just acetone? Whatever it is it lifted the base coat and primer in seconds.

I managed to remove most of the paint from the front glacis plate while removing the brush guards.

• Sad 1

Time is ticking away :frantic:and I havent failed to complete a groupbuild...yet!

After some surgery we have correct brush guards and the glacis is back in its lovely sand colour.

PXL_20210825_230902331.jpg

PXL_20210825_230916177.jpg

PXL_20210825_230927455.jpg

Its had some drybrushing and a wash, I think I'm still painting space marines.... 

Yellow is a difficult colour, luckily I just got a bottle of IJA Chromite Yellow for my IJA tank project that seemed to fit the bill for the barrel identifier.

Decals, detailing and weathering to come.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi sardaukar. I am so pleased that you are able to carry on with this!! It's looking superb and I cannot wait to see it in the Gallery in the near future.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• sardaukar changed the title to five quid Revell T-72 M1 build #2 ***done, done and done***

Hi sardaukar. Wow! What a superb T-72. You have achieved an amazing result, especially in 1/72!! It looks awesome!! Lovely weathering effects. :worthy:

Thank you very much for building it in this GB. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1