Hello everyone … This is a placeholder for my build, I will be using the 1/72 AMG Bf.109D Poland edition. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amg-72406-messerschmitt-bf109d--1228787

Im aware of the issues with fit in these kits and that they need be fiddled with to be good. Im not exactly sure when I will start this but will add sprue shots at that time. 

Dennis

P/S : This kit was a gift from @Procopius when he went to visit @CedB with @Cookenbacher

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11

Evening everyone … Well life is slowly returning to normal at the homestead. Enough so that I will actually attempt some modeling tonight. Seeing as I’m trying I thought I’d add the sprue photo’s. CnN4pzB.jpg

7vIa2UU.jpg

J9ifwUk.jpg

q2x8Dq1.jpg

zfLow8t.jpg

Im planning on White 2 from Zg.2, I like the artwork and the vertical I.D. stripes on the rear fuselage. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 11

Glad to hear life is settling back down for you Dennis :) 

That looks to be a nice kit if your parts photos and the instructions posted on Scalemates are anything to go by.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dennis,

Glad to see your problems seem to have eased a bit, and you are back building kits.

NIce to see a Dora. Most of the authors of books I bought back in the 1960/1970's, including William Green, got a bit confused with this plane. They seemed to think that like the Emil it had the DB engine, instead of the Jumo's of the A-C models. As a consequence I have only discovered that the D still had the Jumo in the last 10 or so years, as the models pre Emil were not something I was that interested in.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Most of the authors of books I bought back in the 1960/1970's, including William Green, got a bit confused with this plane. They seemed to think that like the Emil it had the DB engine, instead of the Jumo's of the A-C models.

That's what comes of only having the propaganda of the time to work with, using prototypes with the DB600 engine.  Tip: they weren't a single colour of green on the uppersurface, either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Dennis,

Glad to see your problems seem to have eased a bit, and you are back building kits.

NIce to see a Dora. Most of the authors of books I bought back in the 1960/1970's, including William Green, got a bit confused with this plane. They seemed to think that like the Emil it had the DB engine, instead of the Jumo's of the A-C models. As a consequence I have only discovered that the D still had the Jumo in the last 10 or so years, as the models pre Emil were not something I was that interested in.

Cheers

Pete

Hello Pete yes what we've learned more recently is a boon to what we used to know. The Dora is probably one of my favorite early mark’s just behind the Emil. 

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

That's what comes of only having the propaganda of the time to work with, using prototypes with the DB600 engine.  Tip: they weren't a single colour of green on the uppersurface, either.

Hello Graham I couldn't agree more, and yes its getting the 65/70/71 splinter scheme. 

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This should be an interesting build Dennis, I do like the look of the early 109's and have a 1/48 one in the stash for another day.

I love the early marks they remind a little of p-40’s. The big chin radiator lends itself to a Sharksmouth and I will build a “C” with one someday. 

23 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

A nice contrast to the later models in the G/B . I have never heard of this kit manufacturer. Hope its an easy beast to tame .

cheers Alistair

AMG make a decent kit but the few builds ive seen show the etch to be oversized so it needs to be modified to fit in some locations (radiator and instrument panel). I may not use a lot of the etch just because its a skill and product that I don't enjoy. I do wish I had an emil or an “F” to build as well. Ive never built an “F” before. 

• Like 2

Good Morning everyone…. Well I was able to take a big bite out of this tonight. Cockpit was finished, I will add the belts and control stick right before I close this up. z9V9QEo.jpg

EMLhZpR.jpg

This is the first major hurdle on these kits as the bits are oversized.

9AtGmdw.jpg

5TP3v2E.jpg

So I glued it all up and then sanded/filed it to size. The next hurdle is the 7 piece cowling … why on gods green marble does it need to be 7 bits. Tamiya does the same thing with 3-4 on there 1/72 Emil.
PhYVkBy.jpg

5xS3K4K.jpg

The wings are the next phase of this, the rear wing/fuselage connection is about 3 times as thick and not quite molded perfect so needs some fiddling. eZCmWVg.jpg

As you can see the wings don't glue into true panel lines and the lower is about .75mm to thick and needs to be ground down on each lower insert. In the end as Im a sucker for the early 109’s and there isn't much out there for kits. I would build more if I could get a hold of them. And as you can see they do look the part. 3XFtLDQ.jpg

WK1c14r.jpg

7UdfKWQ.jpg

Dont take my crabbing as anything wrong, just a bit fiddely. The panel lines are fine, the plastic is good quality and you do get a bit for the price. Etch, decals, masks, and all. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

This is looking really good too Dennis, one of those kits I've shied away from but after seeing how you've dealt with it, I might give one another look. The Ds in their early war camo are a really attractive look to my eye. 
Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello one and all … Two months but I’m back ! Finally got some paints and fixed both of my airbrushes. So today painted up the belly of a few of my builds. wqIk9AG.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Good morning everyone… Not sure this will get finished but going to try my damndest to do it. The two month break really killed my builds this year. Anyhow here is where were at now with this. RLM71 is on and I will get this masked and spray the RLM70over the next couple of days. The paint bottle is just for photo’s not the color used. p8xlfAx.jpg

YSBzNCD.jpg

KhE09zQ.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Good morning everyone … Did some work and watched a bit of Le Mans on the Tele tonight. The 109 is painted so I can move onto decals for this one. ujMz0NQ.jpg

eQFtaRi.jpg

bC3rWOq.jpg

Not to bad if you ask me, not 100% but very close to the drawings. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Hi Dennis,

this kit seems to be over-complicated, but it does scrub well.

And you have lavished a lot of TLC onto it!

I thought that the 109s that went to Poland were still painted RLM 70 and 71 on the upper surfaces.

I am sure your take is correct though. We never stop learning.

Great show!

JR

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Dennis,

this kit seems to be over-complicated, but it does scrub well.

And you have lavished a lot of TLC onto it!

I thought that the 109s that went to Poland were still painted RLM 70 and 71 on the upper surfaces.

I am sure your take is correct though. We never stop learning.

Great show!

JR

This is Ammo’s version of RLM70 & 71, I know it looks like RLM02 but i think thats the lighting ? It seems darker in person. 

• Like 2

Hi Dennis,

indeed, light can lay tricks.

I will take your word for it!

Keep having fun, as it looks lovely. I love this big chin radiator.

JR

• Like 1