1920s - Rif War in Spanish Morocco

Tim R-T-C

So a little late entry, but hopefully I'll get it finished in time (and my other open build too...)

This is set in Spanish occupied Morocco during the 1920s Rif War, considered the last war of colonial occupation.

The centrepiece is a Spanish F2B which hasa handsome green livery. However it must be acknowledged that these were used in terrible attacks on local populations including the use of poison gas.

spacer.png

The Valom kit is one of the better entries to their Great War collection, with locating pins, something of a cockpit and avoiding the bizarre resin engines they insisted on in the earlier productions.

Like all their Great War planes though, there is going to be a lot of photoetch in use here - all the struts are brass as is the undercarriage.

Made a start tonight - painted and built up the cockpit and completed the fuselage.

• Like 4

An interesting subject choice Tim and what sounds to be an interesting kit to realise it with. I'm looking forward to your progress reports with this one :speak_cool:

• Like 1

So buttoned up the fuselage and painted the plane. Went for a nice Bronze Green based on the profile included with the decals. These schemes were not necessarily for planes deployed to Spainish Morocco but its the right year and right type so probably as close as I'm going to get.

Decided to decal up before putting the wings on as I think it is going to be rather delicate!

The LF decals require individually cutting oout but go down nicely.  The tail colours were provided as a square decal so will need cutting to shape once its dry.

spacer.png

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 6

The Valom kit comes with tiny bits of plastic to use for raising the fuselage over the lower wing. These simply did not hold, so with quite a lot of work I used brass tube in its stead.

spacer.png

EDIT - since this post, the lower wing decided to seperate again. So I think I will have to cheat and use some sprue in the middle of the raised section to hold it securely, with styrene rod for cosmstic support.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Do you think a piece of clear sprue may add more support without looking too obvious Tim?

Thanks, might work, or I might try to paint it in the bronze green to blend in.

All my vignettes are designed for display tables so from a normal viewing angle, given how small it is, hopefully won't be visible!

Edited by Tim R-T-C

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Rigging in 144th scale! :o 

Yes this was certainly the most complex I have done, with bracing and control cables, but it is well worth the effort... Although you might have to wait until seeing it in person for the full effect - if SMW goes ahead I will certainly take it!

spacer.png

So with that I'm calling this one complete

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Somewhere deep in the Rif Republic, 1925 - an aerial observer reports tribal positions to a Spanish column.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...