Edited by Ray_W
reposted images with quarter panel mask removed
  • Like 50

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4/Trop.

Franz Schiess, 8./JG 53, Luftwaffe

Tunisia, March 1943

Mark 1 Models

1/144

Painted with paints from Hataka's Orange Line Luftwaffe in Africa Set and various acrylic colours from Revell and Citadel.

51271148750_218c772dd3_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51270852364_5e2ef52a2b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51270118576_9bf0aaef04_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51270852419_20ef237346_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This last photo shows the pair of Mark 1 109G's alongside a couple of 109E's from Amory's 1/144 "Battle of Britain Aces" boxing, which are lovely little kits but need some care with the decals.

51270302108_deb712eeb5_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Messerschmitt Bf-109 G6 Strela

Bulgarian "White 7" 

642. Yato, 2/6 Orlyak, Autumn 1944

1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G14 -> G6 + Kora Decals

BM BF-109G6 Gallery 1

BM BF-109G6 Gallery 5

BM BF-109G6 Gallery 2

BM BF-109G6 Gallery 3

BM BF-109G6 Gallery 4

Build log can be found here:

Ray 

• Like 40

This is my Hobbyboss 1/72 Bf109 G-2/Trop in the markings of Lt Wilhelm Crinius who had scored 100 victories in Russia, together with 14 in the med, and carries those victory markings plus his Knight's Cross and Oak Leaves on the rudder. He was temporarily posted to the Gruppe Stab of I/JG 53 Pik As but was due to return to 3 Staffel (not III Gruppe as HB claim) so this machine, Werk- Nr 10 804 was painted up as yellow 13 ready for his use. However he never arrived, having been shot down and captured on January 13th 1943 The markings were unchanged but the plane was then flown by Leutnant Gerhard Opel of 2/JG 53 in Tunisia - it may not have used the tropical filter as they were not needed once the Afrika Korps retreated from the desert. The kit is pretty easy to build but there are a few inaccuracies/omissions. Firstly, earlier production 109 G-2's still had a retractable tail wheel, but later ones had a fixed one, together with larger tyres/wheels which required a small bulge in the upper wing surface. HB have made a number of G's and to some extent used common sprues - this particular kit comes with 3 types of main wheel and tail wheel, together with bulges to go on the fuelage over the breeches of the MG 131 fitted to later versions. Perhaps as a result they have moulded a fixed tailwheel but no wing bulges! This plane seems to have still had the retractable tailwheel according to the Osprey aircraft of the aces, so I modified the rear fuselage. I also fitted the armour plate behind the pilot's head and a longer radio mast. I have left off the small D/F loop behind the cockpit that HB provide as I do not believe this plane had one.

DSC05357-crop DSC05359-crop DSC05361-crop DSC05363-crop

The decal for the kills/Knights Cross etc on the rudder is almost certainly inaccurate and I have not used the yellow fuel triangle on the starboard side that comes with the kit as it was only on the Port side AFAIK.

So that is finished and I will make a start on a few more 109's.

Pete

• Like 27

Eduard 1/48 109-e Ernst Arnold, I found this a very enjoyable build and my first using mr color paints which I'm totally converted to. No issues at all with this apart from a little surgery to get the gear away.

Build thread 

2021-07-10_06-06-30

2021-07-10_06-07-09

2021-07-10_06-06-51

2021-07-10_06-07-28

2021-07-10_06-07-47

Dave

Edited by Bbdave
  • Like 30

Here's my (first, hopefully) entry to the SGTB, an Academy Bf109T-2 (WN 7767) as flown in Norway by Herbert Christmann of JG11.  Not many actual photos of this airframe seem to exist even though pretty much every manufacturer who offers a Bf109T include this scheme as an option.  What profiles exist seem to be uncertain as to whether it should or shouldn't have a Reich Defence band, although they agree that it should be yellow.  Academy's own box art shows it with one but the paint scheme in the instructions shows it without....  I opted to do it without, as although it was shown as being based in Norway in 1944, the construction of the T's took place much earlier in the war when the Kriegsmarine was still intending on getting the Graf Zeppelin afloat.   With that I mind I chose to show it without the band and thus earlier in its career.

This kit was pretty basic; detail is lacking (for example, there is an inlet for the chin radiator but no outlet, for some unknown reason) and there were some glaring errors, such as the struts for the horizontal stabilisers being way too long, the cowling and canopy not being the right sizes for the fuselage etc.  I pepped it up a bit with some Master gun barrels, cut the undercarriage legs and wheels up so that they could be fitted in a retracted position and added an Airfix pilot.

I will build a T again, but I'm looking at the A&A Models kit, dear though it is, for the next attempt as it looks far and away a better kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31

This is the original Hasegawa 1/72 Bf 109G kit originally released in around 1976. Probably not as good as their later release but it goes together well enough.

DSC05440-crop DSC05442-crop DSC05444-crop

The upper surfaces are painted in a mix of RLM76, RLM02 and RLM71 and this seems to be scheme used on some planes by JG5 Eismeer when based in Finland. The kit came with markings for a "G5" of  II/JG5 used by Hauptmann Carganico, but although I found photos and illustrations of his G-2, the only G-6 (no G-5!) I could find was in 74/75/76 standard camo, so instead I went for a generic plane from III/JG5 who stayed in the north until late 1944, whereas II/JG5 moved south towards the end of 1943. It is probably not an accurate combination of paint scheme and markings but I rather fancied it.

Pete

• Like 23

Many years ago I built the old Frog Bf 109F, and when Italeri released their version 30 or so years back I bought a couple. Since then I have seen some reviews complaining that they are inaccurate, but in many respects the kits are quite good. A fairly well equipped cockpit, a few optional parts and a reasonable fit. True, the panel lines are all wrong, and it seems that the supercharger intake and spinner are not  quite right so I replaced them with ones from the spares box. I also reprofiles the prop blades a little as they look like ones for a Gustav. The main problem is with the undercarriage - it is mounted too far out from the fuselage which I have not bothered with this time, and the wheels are much too big. I have replaced the wheels with the correct smaller ones, again from my spares box, but I have now noticed that the legs/doors are designed for the larger wheels so the new wheels sit too low down - when I build the next one I will have to do a bit more work on that aspect.

DSC05446-crop DSC05448-crop DSC05450-crop

I have painted in the so called "spring thaw" scheme of green and brown and the markings are supposed to be those of Hauptman Heinz Lange of 1/JG54 in Spring 1942 in Russia.

Not perfect but not that bad to my eye, and the next one may be a bit more accurate.

Pete

• Like 27

Messerschmitt Bf-109F-4

Flown by Torzsormester Dezso Szentgyorgyi.

1/1 Vadaszszazad (Fighter Squadron), Rossosh Airfield, Russia, January 1943.

Zvezda 1/48 Bf-109F-4 Decals by SBS Models and paint by Xtracrylix, Lifecolor, Revell and Ammo (Mig).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Build can be found here;

Thanks for looking.

Craig.

• Like 29