Heinkel He177 MPM 1/48 - A huge beast!

This one has been on my to-do list for a while. I had been scared by some reports about problems with this kit and the sheer size. I found it difficult (the gear!) but definitely worth the effort. There are some fit problems but nothing unsurmountable. The kit is MPM 48058, but I wanted to build 6N+KM WNr 550045 of 4./KG100 like in MPM`s special edition kit 48060 because of the attractive camo scheme. I could use some of the kit decals and what was missing I replaced with sprayed markings using the Montex mask set. Apart from that I used Eduard`s masks and seat belts and the Condor missile set for the two Henschel Hs293. Camo was sprayed freehand which brought me to my limits in several respects.

The aircraft is the size of a B-17, in 1/48 the model is 47cm long with a wingspan of 65cm! It is often underestimated because it seems to be a twin-engine aircraft (there are actually 4 engines), so I put a 109 in one of the fotos for size comparison.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Volker

• Like 72
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Awesome work and a fantastic build :) 

The freehand camo work is excellent - is it dark over light, or light over dark?

I was actually asking myself the same question when I was looking at the original fotos.

I did it dark over light. Underside 65, upper 76, thereafter 74.

• Like 1

An awesome model - you tamed the beast superbly!

An interesting plane - somewhat futuristic looking with its unusual undercarriage and extensive "greenhouse".

Beautifully done!

:clap2:

• Like 1

Wow - that's enormous (said the actress to the bishop), great build and lovely paint work

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 18:42, VolkerR. said:

This one has been on my to-do list for a while. I had been scared by some reports about problems with this kit and the sheer size. I found it difficult (the gear!) but definitely worth the effort. There are some fit problems but nothing unsurmountable. The kit is MPM 48058, but I wanted to build 6N+KM WNr 550045 of 4./KG100 like in MPM`s special edition kit 48060 because of the attractive camo scheme. I could use some of the kit decals and what was missing I replaced with sprayed markings using the Montex mask set. Apart from that I used Eduard`s masks and seat belts and the Condor missile set for the two Henschel Hs293. Camo was sprayed freehand which brought me to my limits in several respects.

The aircraft is the size of a B-17, in 1/48 the model is 47cm long with a wingspan of 65cm! It is often underestimated because it seems to be a twin-engine aircraft (there are actually 4 engines), so I put a 109 in one of the fotos for size comparison.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Volker

Absolutely fantastic!

• Like 1