Vintage Classic - Airfix Storch+++FINISHED+++

Good evening all,

Progress has slowed somewhat with the good weather and gardening. However i have made some progress with the Storch. 

Painting after assembly, as i usually do, isn't an option here as theres too many bits in the way for my liking. So out came the paint and i started applying sand, with green squiggles. Not an easy option in this scale and challenging i'd wager for an airbrush. Luckily i'm using the hairy stick so off we go. The most difficult and ongoing task is painting the canopy frames, which i have tried to do neatly using thin masking tape. I am getting there but its taking a while. The paint i am using is Hannant's own brand which is gloss, and its very thin, which makes it tricky to apply to the transparent bits.

Anyway heres a few pic's of where i am at. Its taking longer than i thought but i am enjoying it. 

More soon....i hope! 

Thanks for looking in, cheers Greg

51235035554_b46fb4f12a_z.jpg

51234256421_6b378a78de_z.jpg

51235035499_e6f8cf91cc_z.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good Greg! It’s a very nice scheme. If the frames are driving you nuts you could always paint up some decal and cut it into strips?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I'm almost there now, so I will persevere. 

Cheers Greg 👍

2 hours ago, Bodmin said:

That's coming together quite nicely. Lovely job on the paint scheme too. 

Thank you 👍

Which scheme have you picked for your Storch?

Cheers Greg

11 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Which scheme have you picked for your Storch?

The opposite to yours. More by accident than by design. Swapped the canopy roof after being unhappy with the fit, then unwittingly fitted the rear wheel instead of the skid and then looked at the back of the box and thought...."I take it I'm doing that one then" 😳

Edited by Bodmin
  • Haha 2

Afternoon all,

Progress has been slow but steady this week, and i am approaching the final strech with this build.

It has been a bit of a challenge working with the old tooled parts the cabin/canopy was a real suck it and see affair and is holding together with clearfix and a prayer! An important bit of the build as this is what supports the wings. Anyway i got it done and adopted Adrian's method of the dead storch lying the setting parts on a horizontal surface with the fuselage inverted till the glue set. Seemed to work ok. The supporting struts complied and were fitted without a fuss, so far so good. Stabilisers added with little effort. 

Now on to the undercart which is a rather fragile affair, and a dry fit showed what Adrian had flagged up that it is tool long in the "leg". Out with the razor saw and not without some trepidation i took off about 6mm of plastic and then reattached it. This looks to have gone ok. The pics of this part have yet to be taken and will be shown in the next batch of photos.

Thanks for looking in, all comments welcolme 

Cheers Greg

51244312541_33155281a9_z.jpg

51245075449_4f545550bd_z.jpg

51244312661_e1a053a96e_z.jpg

51244510543_a2470f865a_z.jpg

51245075249_beb25d26d5_z.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

This is coming on very well, Greg.  I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Scorch.

Thanks Jack 👍

Other than the ancient Airfix offering there's not much out there. The Academy kit appears to be hard to come by and Tamiyas 1/48 kit although superlative is very expensive. I would like a shot at the old 

Hase kit in 1/32, but again not readily available. 

Cheers Greg 🍺

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Coming along very nicely Greg.

Good job on getting that troublesome canopy sorted, can make or break a Storch build.

Thanks Craig 👍

It appears to be securely attached,and with all the support s in place I am hoping it will stay that way.

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Other than the ancient Airfix offering there's not much out there. The Academy kit appears to be hard to come by and Tamiyas 1/48 kit although superlative is very expensive.

Heller makes a 1/72 kit which on the sprues looks a good deal nicer than the Airfix one. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Heller makes a 1/72 kit which on the sprues looks a good deal nicer than the Airfix one. 

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian, I will need to look out for one. 

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great work Greg

Like many on here I've always fancied this kit but been frightened of the canopy and the undercarriage. 

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat 👍

Yes, those aspects of the build are challenging, but I found using tube glue, which gives you time to get best fit helps. I have the undercarriage fitted now and it was a bit of a faff. I had to unstick it a few times to get the best fit, and with all the struts aligned its surprisingly robust. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

Nice work Greg, looks to be turning into a successful build.

Cheers Bodmin 👍

I'm nearing the final bits n pieces now so should be done by the weekend 😅

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 6:17 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks Jack 👍

Other than the ancient Airfix offering there's not much out there. The Academy kit appears to be hard to come by and Tamiyas 1/48 kit although superlative is very expensive. I would like a shot at the old 

Hase kit in 1/32, but again not readily available. 

Cheers Greg 🍺

Hi Greg

I think mine must be the Heller  kit and as Adrian says it built up quite well - King Kit currently have both Heller and Smer boxings quite cheap - the also have a Hobby Boss on in a larger scale I think.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 6:17 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Other than the ancient Airfix offering there's not much out there

There’s an Esci 1/48 kit that can be found for reasonable money, there’s also the Moran saulnier 500 ( essentially the same plane built under German occupation, radial engine so might need a nose job, but I’d bet the Fiesler parts are in the box)  which can be found for reasonable money too.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/384134609612

I do remember building the Heller kit as a kid and I think it was pretty good.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Greg

I think mine must be the Heller  kit and as Adrian says it built up quite well - King Kit currently have both Heller and Smer boxings quite cheap - the also have a Hobby Boss on in a larger scale I think.

Pete

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

There’s an Esci 1/48 kit that can be found for reasonable money, there’s also the Moran saulnier 500 ( essentially the same plane built under German occupation, radial engine so might need a nose job, but I’d bet the Fiesler parts are in the box)  which can be found for reasonable money too.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/384134609612

I do remember building the Heller kit as a kid and I think it was pretty good.

Thanks Gents, good to know😎

Cheers Greg 👍

Afternoon all,

Well my Storch is now considered finished! I could faff about with it a bit more but the more i handle this wee beast the higher the risk i run of damaging it. So finished it is. 

I made an attempt at adding the missing struts for the under cart and the main wing spars but i think they may be a bit overscale. They will do for now as i have spent quite a bit of time and effort on this subject. For under a tenner you get a lot of modelling for your cash. I recon i would have struggled with this one as a youngster as there is a fair old bit of fine tuning required to get everything to line up. One aspect of this subject that i did get wrong is the wing dihedral. It shouldn't have any! but mine does. I feel that i would like another go at the old Airfix kit, just to see if i could get it absolutely right. Maybe someday.....

BTW lat pic includes a shot of my Airfix Henshell 126 as it s a related subject, and just for comparison. 

Any way thanks for watching, commenting or liking, its been a blast,

Cheers Greg

51257528149_d0f2b747ab_z.jpg

51257824310_3619e0bc07_z.jpg

51257824345_ffb6270b59_z.jpg

51257824385_bd2eb9c280_z.jpg

• Like 11

• GREG DESTEC changed the title to Vintage Classic - Airfix Storch+++FINISHED+++
1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

Love it . Worth ten Bitcoins at least .

Cheers

Alastair

Thanks Alastair, I'm now off to build a Messerschmitt in the 109STGB😉

Cheers Greg 👍

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

An excellent result Greg, really very nice indeed.

I like the comparison shot with the HS-126, if I remember rightly that is a very nice kit.

Cheers mate 🍺

Yes, the Henschell is a good kit, and was far easier to build than the Storch. 

• Like 1