Operation Firedog / Malayan Emergency and the Indonesian Confrontation GB

Hi All,

I would like to propose a group build focused on the Malayan Emergency in which Commonwealth forces engaged communist insurgents. In order to broaden the appeal of this subject as far a possible, this would cover any aspect of this conflict which lasted from June 1948 to July 1960. So any equipment, armaments, ground vehicles, aircraft, figures would be acceptable.

Specifically, Operation Firedog was the codename for the air support aspect of the Commonwealth campaign, and due to the timescale involved and the rapid advances of aviation technology during that period, there is a broad spectrum of aircraft that saw service, such as Douglas Dakota, de Havilland Venom, EE Canberra, AVRO Lincoln, Bristol Freighter, Vickers Valetta, Hawker Tempest, de Havilland Hornet, Bristol Beaufighter, Supermarine Spitfire, de Havilland Mosquito, Supermarine Seafire, Fairey Firefly, Hawker Sea Fury.

Wiki page here

Also, to hopefully broaden the spectrum a bit, we can include the Indonesian Confrontation which took place between 1963 and 1966, and stemmed from Indonesia's opposition to the creation of Malaysia from Malaya, Singapore, North Borneo and Sarawak, and so is linked with the Malayan Emergency. Commonwealth ground forces employed air support for deployment and resupply, with rotary and fixed wing craft being used, as well as hovercraft on the Bornean waterways.

Wiki page here

I'm happy to have a go at hosting, although it'll be my first time so I'd be grateful for an experienced co-host to volunteer :) 

If you're interested, please sign up and we'll see if it makes it into the Bunfight!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
Broadened horizons.
  • Like 3

Members interested in taking part:

1. @2996 Victor Host

2. @Adam Poultney

3. @JOCKNEY

4. @tonyot

5. @Rabbit Leader

6. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

7. @Rob S

8. @Jinxman

9. @bootneck

10. @Tim R-T-C

11. @LDSModeller

12. @stevehnz

12a. @John Masters

*30.*

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have a Contrail Avro Lincoln, I'll need to "grow a pair" between now and the GB but please count me in.

Cheers Pat 

Excellent, Pat! Welcome aboard! You're a braver man than I am with a vac-form!

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Can't forget the Victor in this! Nearest it saw to actual action, dropping bombs in a show of force. 

Great to have you on board, Adam! The Victor is an impressive bird!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Sounds good to me,.... always interested in this era and a well as aircraft there are lots of military vehs that can be represented too. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Sounds good to me,.... always interested in this era and a well as aircraft there are lots of military vehs that can be represented too. 

Brilliant, Tony, welcome aboard! Fingers crossed we can get this one off the ground!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Well done Mark, this is an excellent idea so I’ll gladly join in to help prop up the numbers. I also need to desperately add to my one and only model that ‘supported’ this campaign. Whilst equipped with Venoms, No. 45 Squadron also flew a small number of Twin Tub Vampires. Now if only someone (.. read Airfix) would oblige the modelling community with an easy build / easily obtainable Venom kit, the world would be a much happier place. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

36469543862_70710e37d5_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well done Mark, this is an excellent idea so I’ll gladly join in to help prop up the numbers. I also need to desperately add to my one and only model that ‘supported’ this campaign. Whilst equipped with Venoms, No. 45 Squadron also flew a small number of Twin Tub Vampires. Now if only someone (.. read Airfix) would oblige the modelling community with an easy build / easily obtainable Venom kit, the world would be a much happier place. 

Well said Dave and I do like your Vampire,...... cheers for showing it again! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great, Dave, glad to have you along! Also thank you for the how-to to get me started! And that's a fabulous Vampire!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Seems like this thread needs a little bump, although being on this side of the world doesn’t help matters that much. 

Now I’m wondering if perhaps we could expand this idea to include the Indonesian Confrontation? One ‘small’ war / incident seemed to almost roll into another and this might generate additional interest with another generation of military equipment to potentially choose from? 

Anyway, let’s hope it gains for attention.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I’ll go into bat at Lucky Number 7 with an RAAF Lincoln from the second tool Airfix kit (that is if I ever get to finish my Frog/Novo/Soviet Python Lincoln first).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Seems like this thread needs a little bump, although being on this side of the world doesn’t help matter that much. 

Now I’m wondering if perhaps we could expand this idea to include the Indonesian Confrontation? One ‘small’ war / incident seemed to almost roll into another and this might generate additional interest with another generation of military equipment to potentially choose from? 

Anyway, let’s hope it gains for attention.

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

That sounds like a good idea -  broadening the scope a bit could help give it a bit more appeal!

Cheers,

Mark

7 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I’ll go into bat at Lucky Number 7 with an RAAF Lincoln from the second tool Airfix kit (that is if I ever get to finish my Frog/Novo/Soviet Python Lincoln first).  

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your interest and welcome aboard! The Lincoln is a particularly purposeful looking beast, so that should be a great subject!

Cheers,

Mark

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ Add me please, not sure yet Late Beaufighter, early jet but it’ll be something. I have a rudimentary family connection to the conflict. 

Hi Dennis,

great to have you along :) there's a huge range of subjects, so I'm sure you'll find a cracker of a project! The Airfix Beau' TF.10 is my starter!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• 2996 Victor changed the title to Operation Firedog / Malayan Emergency and the Indonesian Confrontation GB

As the theme has been expanded to include the Indonesian Confrontation, please add me to the list.  Been there, done that, got the fridge magnet.

Mike

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Yes please - that Airmodel Valetta lurking in the stash would slot in here quite nicely I think.

15 hours ago, bootneck said:

As the theme has been expanded to include the Indonesian Confrontation, please add me to the list.  Been there, done that, got the fridge magnet.

Mike

Hi gents,

great to have you along! Let's hope we can get this GB proposal into the Bunfight!

@bootneck - can I ask whereabouts in Somerset are you? I was born and raised just outside Taunton, and (don't tell my better half!) I do miss the hills and coast of Somerset!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2021 at 08:57, 2996 Victor said:

@bootneck - can I ask whereabouts in Somerset are you? I was born and raised just outside Taunton, and (don't tell my better half!) I do miss the hills and coast of Somerset!

Hi Mark,

Burnham on Sea

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Mark,

Burnham on Sea

Mike

Great! I know it well :)

Cheers,

Mark

1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Fascinating topic I know very little about but I'm sure I've got some Indonesian schemes for Soviet equipment in my stash so I'll certainly find something interesting to contribute.

Hi Tim,

That's brilliant! Glad to have you aboard!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 12:08 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Malayan Emergency in which Commonwealth forces engaged communist insurgents.

Hi Mark,

I's like to put my name down for this, as the RNZAF/New Zealand Army

served in this campaign from 1949 to the early 1960's

RNZAF flew a good many Firedog Missions, and we lost a Canberra/crew

during one of these.

At this stage, not sure what I would bring to the party, but there is always this

RNZAF Dakota (C47-B or Mk IV Dakota in RAF Parlance).

This scheme came into use 1949 (All silver/Natural metal with Blue Livery lines) about the time of start of the Emergency.

RNZAF Dakota's wore it when deployed to Singapore, and were attached to the British Far East Air Force.

HIST496_1.t60833309.m800.xjUE14Keb.jpg

(RNZAF Official 0 RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

If I can get my hands on the 1/72 Fly Bristol Freighter Mk 31, I'd do one of those too, they also served,

flying Firedog missions.

Thanks

Alan

• Like 2