SAS Jeep

Progress on this vintage kit ( close to a 50 year old kit when it was first release). Nothing much to say about the kit itself. Its been long enough for most of us to know or have build this in the past. It's still a good kit overall. With the small project I have added a few details to brighten it up a bit. So far this is what I did and progress so far....

1. OOB chassis construction

2. Hollowed out the exhaust

3. Added styrene strips to simulate jerry can racks

4. added straps on the rear jerry cans

5. Change the barrel of the Vickers MG 

6. Sculpted my own stowage

7. Added a scaled rope

Still a long way to go for this tiny kit

hlMnuNv.jpg

Eoa8zP4.jpg?1

88KIyrD.jpg?1

hCxQ2uT.jpg?1

Ri1Hk6Y.jpg?1

Osj0jtg.jpg?1

hynqqy4.jpg?1

E5gatJ6.jpg?1

• Like 12

I highly recommend replacing the jerry can handles with the correct three bar type. You can use Italeri's cheap jerry can set for this, and just cut away the double handles and glue the triple handle pieces in place on the existing jerry cans, or replace the whole jerry can. Either way it is a cheap and very effective improvement to the kit as the old two handle tamiya jerry can't are the weakest part of the whole kit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlieNZ said:

I highly recommend replacing the jerry can handles with the correct three bar type. You can use Italeri's cheap jerry can set for this, and just cut away the double handles and glue the triple handle pieces in place on the existing jerry cans, or replace the whole jerry can. Either way it is a cheap and very effective improvement to the kit as the old two handle tamiya jerry can't are the weakest part of the whole kit.

Hi Charlie, yes I noted that already. However I just wanted to finish the build the way it is. Some of the  jerry cans are covered by the stowage and on the hood it is place in such a way that mostly are not seen. I don't have the Italeri on hand but I know about that option, Thanks for the input. My other option is to just add a thin styrene strips on the ones that are visible.

Cheers,

Raphael

2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Great start on a classic model.

How did you make the cam net as it looks really good?

George

Thanks Geo, nothing special on the cam net. Super sculpt set to desired shape then stippled with a scalpel knife until desired effect achieve. At times a gently lifted the stippling to create more dynamic look to it.

BW,

Raphael

1 hour ago, viper-30 said:

Nice. Mate

Thanks Viper!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This old kit seems really popular on this forum. It is one of my favourites though, so it is great seeing so many super builds. I will be trying to replicate a camo net using your technique. What did you use to replaces the Vickers k barrels? Great build Cheers Neil

Great work on a classic old kit!! Have built and enjoyed the Tamiya SAS jeep multiple times over my modeling life! Always a fun build... I know that the older generation of Tamiya figures are often maligned, but I have always loved the sculpts of the beards, uniforms, and head gear of these figures. Lots of character...

Thanks for posting and keep up the awesome work!! Can't wait ta see 'er painted and on a cool base. 

You are also inspiring me to hunt through the stash to see if I still have one floating around...of course, I've got umpteen dozen other unfinished builds to keep at before I start something "new" so I'd better behave myself and show some restraint.

Thanks again!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B. 

Edited by JohnnyBros718
  • Like 1