Current Opinions on Setting Fluids please?

Lewis95

Good evening all, 

After knocking over my Microsol for the umpteenth time. And this time, into my bloody water tray (so it's now possibly diluted and contaminated), can I please gather some opinions on current solutions? Yes, I'm aware this question probably gets asked a lot over time but products change over time too. 

I'm also a massive fan of heavy glass bottles like the Tamiya which I find very hard to actually knock over. Dipping a paintbrush into Set or Sol is always a worrisome moment and makes me dread decals. I usually decant into the lid but this can easily get confusing if using both. 

Thanks all!

I’ve not tried Tamiya’s decal setting solutions, however Gunze make two bottles (Green / Blue) which I’ve used with some success. They do seem to be slightly more aggressive than The Mircoset / sol products and have probably been designed for use on Asian originating kit decals which seem to always be thicker than others. They also come in ‘Tamiya’ style bottles so should be a little harder to knock over compared to the Microsol .. and who hasn’t done that in the past? 

Cheers.. Dave 

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve not tried Tamiya’s decal setting solutions, however Gunze make two bottles (Green / Blue) which I’ve used with some success. They do seem to be slightly more aggressive than The Mircoset / sol products and have probably been designed for use on Asian originating kit decals which seem to always be thicker than others. They also come in ‘Tamiya’ style bottles so should be a little harder to knock over compared to the Microsol .. and who hasn’t done that in the past? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Any issues with them attacking acrylic paints? 

29 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

Any issues with them attacking acrylic paints? 

By the time I use these products the paint would have been protected by an acrylic based gloss coat and I’ve had no adverse reaction to that. I do tend to use a finer brush than the one supplied and attached to the bottles cap, this I find is way to large for most of my usage. 

• Like 1

One day I intend to beat those damned silly Microsol bottles by cutting holes in an old dishwashing sponge to hold them while in use.  They're fine for most decals. I've found, but I have a bottle of green label Mr Mark Softer (what Rabbit Leader is referring to) for those decals that feel as though they were made for applying to buses.  I'm not sure whether the green or blue label is the stronger, though.