1/8 Yodel Honda CBX 1000Z

Hi all, here are the final photos of the mighty Honda 6, a fairly straight forward build apart from the exhaust system which needed lots of test fitting and even then, I had to cut 3mm off each side of the lower collectors to get the foot peg hangers to line up correctly.

I had run out of Molotow chrome on Wednesday, placed an order that afternoon and it arrived on Thursday morning. So, I could add the final coat of liquid chrome to the down pipes and collectors. I also added some silver solder to the seat to replicate the chrome trims and made up a few brake pipe brackets.

I decided to leave the kit high handle bars and not try to lower them, as it wouldn't have been a straight forward job due to the fact that they are a cast alloy item on the original bike and the casting would be tricky to replicate. I think the throttles cables are a smidge too large diameter, but I had nothing smaller that looked any better, so I will leave them for now.

AmofFVQ.jpg
CvJOmMo.jpg
d4q9Zxo.jpg
Vn5zMkA.jpg
JslvT59.jpg
4VPrhfW.jpg
lxSZV0v.jpg
w74cfey.jpg
vbZgluC.jpg

Finally I've added some photos of the real bike that I restored last year for your comparison. I hope you enjoy looking at this 70's muscle bike, another one to add to my growing collection.

C9iCKx2.jpg
qEnme6f.jpg
xUkeQXF.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

I like the model, lovely...............

but the real thing....

WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

The real bike was a neglected rust bucket when it came to me, good job the new owner had deep pockets and equally long arms to reach into them.!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thats a lovely job. What kit is it??

I remember when the CBX came out. I was about 14 but already a subscriber to Which Bike. Current ride is a Triumph Bonneville America.

I take it you've seen Alan Millyard's Kawasaki version?

Edited by Ryedale Wolf
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ryedale Wolf said:

Thats a lovely job. What kit is it??

I remember when the CBX came out. I was about 14 but already a subscriber to Which Bike. Current ride is a Triumph Bonneville America.

I take it you've seen Alan Millyard's Kawasaki version?

Thanks, It's an old Yodel kit, long out of production, Japanese manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

Superb build Lee. I really envy you with that kit - the only one I have managed to track down in recent years is the Yodel touring version of the CBX and that cost me a small version. Your restoration of the real McCoy looks stunning. I only ever rode a 250cc Super Dream (on L Plates!) myself before switching to four wheels (on SWIMBOs insistence) so can barely imagine what it must feel like to ride a 1000cc bike.

5 hours ago, beany said:

Superb build Lee. I really envy you with that kit - the only one I have managed to track down in recent years is the Yodel touring version of the CBX and that cost me a small version. Your restoration of the real McCoy looks stunning. I only ever rode a 250cc Super Dream (on L Plates!) myself before switching to four wheels (on SWIMBOs insistence) so can barely imagine what it must feel like to ride a 1000cc bike.

Thanks ! I remember stepping up from my Yamaha FS1E to an RD200DX, that thing took my breath away when it hit the powerband ! LOL, those were the days.

1 hour ago, rockpopandchips said:

That is a fantastic model Lee but the real thing is absolutely  gorgeous!  Giving some serious thought to throwing my leg over a Royal Enfield 650, most of the looks of a old/retro bike with modern engineering. 

Thanks, have you seen the new BSA Gold Star?

54 minutes ago, Lee Chambers said:

Thanks, have you seen the new BSA Gold Star?

I have and it looks stunning, apart from the massive radiator and oversize header but still one of the reasons I haven't rushed on the RE. My last new bike was an XT660 so the single doesn't bother me to much, if they get balance and frame right. 

2 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

I have and it looks stunning, apart from the massive radiator and oversize header but still one of the reasons I haven't rushed on the RE. My last new bike was an XT660 so the single doesn't bother me to much, if they get balance and frame right. 

The rad is not that noticeable head on, I am sure the aftermarket boys will be improving the looks of all the iffy looking bits that are on it at the moment.

If it's got a nice relaxed torque curve it should be a winner.

• Like 1