Can you use the F-86D wings on the Airfix F4 for a slatted Sabre?

yeehah1

22 05 2021

Hello everyone!

I read Bill Clark's article in Scale Aircraft Modelling April 2021 issue where he converted Academy's 1/48 Sabre F-86F into a slatted Sabre by mating the wings of a Monogram F-86D it.

Now, the new 1/48 Airfix Sabre looks like a hard wing Sabre...slats screwed closed?

If I want to display the slats open (and because I can't get the Academy kit) could I adapt Bill's method and mate the F-86D wings to the Airfix F4?

If I CAN do that for then what can I use the now ex-Airfix F4 wings?

Or would it be easier just to take the slatted section off the F-86D wing and use it to replace the same section on the Airix kit?

Cheers in advance

Liam

I think Duncan @Sabrejet would know for sure. IIRC the Monogram (I refuse to refer to it as a Revell kit!) kit has a slight error in the wing sweep, but I could be wrong; I also recall reading that the center section is deeper on the Sabre Dog wing assembly, so you might have to address that, if you are thinking of using the entire wing assembly.. It might be easier to cut the 6-3 section of the wing off of the Airfix kit, then cut and attach the slat well and slat assembly from the F-86D kit.

Mike

• Like 1

I'd replace the wings rather than just the slats. The Revell/Monogram wings are excellent and that kit (the F-86D that is) must be my favourite Sabre kit.

The slats were not screwed shut on 6-3 wings! There were no slats.

7 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd replace the wings rather than just the slats. The Revell/Monogram wings are excellent and that kit (the F-86D that is) must be my favourite Sabre kit.

The slats were not screwed shut on 6-3 wings! There were no slats.

Thank you gentlemen.

@ Sabrejet I wasn't sure if the wings on the Airfix F4 were the retro-fitted 6-3 or the slatted wings that had the slats screwed shut (wasn't there a version of that?)

It's so complicated.

But I can do a slatted mk4 by mating the wings of the Sabre dog to the Airfix kit. 

I'm happy! I have two of the Airfix kits and I know what I'm going to do with it now :) 

Whoo-hoo

Liam

The wing sweep of the Revell/Monogram Sabre Dog is too much, about 5 degrees steeper than that of the real machine.

This is a my friend's photo showing the Airfix wings laid over the Monogram wings. You can see the sweep difference clearly.

186466686_305855564364397_28830244310360

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Junchan said:

The wing sweep of the Revell/Monogram Sabre Dog is too much, about 5 degrees steeper than that of the real machine.

This is a my friend's photo showing the Airfix wings laid over the Monogram wings. You can see the sweep difference clearly.

Jun in Tokyo

that's exactly why i intend only to use my 'Dog" Sabre as a donor of the leading edges.  that and the fat bloated belly of the 'D'

Tony

not so much of a bash, but having a butt joint with its strength issue versus a simple leading edge swap.  I agree, the degree of sweep is unnoticeable in a finished built up model, but I dread doing a weak butt joint at the wingroots.

Cheers, Tony

4 hours ago, Junchan said:

Jun in Tokyo

The shot above is useful, since it shows the difference between a 6-3 wing and the narrow-chord F-86D wing. This is the case in real life, so no great surprise. I'd avoid comparing kits to try and define inaccuracies; all this will tell you is that they differ (in this case), not which one is correct (it's quite possible that both are incorrect). And if they match - what then? Are both correct or both wrong?

But as stated in the image above, they should differ, given their different profiles in real life.

I'd also avoid comparing wings against published plans, since I have found many plans in books and magazines to be incorrect too.

So. The best way to satisfy yourself is to start with the narrow-chord wing, and, given root chord, span, tip chord and effective wing sweep you can draw it out to an applicable scale. Then add the scale 6-3 extension, F-40 tip extension etc on paper. Then you can finally lay your kit parts over a shape which has been measured and calculated!

23 05 2021

Hi Guys.

@Junchan Hi and thanks for your advice. I knew about the difference in the sweep angle and I've read an article elsewhere (maybe on this forum somewhere) that reckons the sweep difference is around 3 degrees give or take. But I would also agree with that article that given the scale of things it's not going to make a hell of a lot of difference to the build on the grand scheme of things. 

Again, I'll adapt Mr. Clark's method of cutting the wings off the centre section of the Airfix kit, using the centre section of the underwing/belly of the Airfix kit, then removing the wings from the centre section of the Monogram F-86D and attaching them to the centre section of the Airfix kit. 

I have an old Monogram mk.5 kit that I can put the Airfix wings on to make it look nice if needs be,

Again, thanks for the help all. I was wondering why there didn't seem to be a lot of discussion around the Airfix 1/48 Sabre mk.4. So maybe this thread can address that :)

All the best,

Liam

1 hour ago, yeehah1 said:

Thanks for the heads up. You are Da Man.

When it comes to all things Sabre-related, yes, he is! :giggle: (Acting President of the U.S. chapter of the Sabrejet fan club!)

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

The sweep 'massive issue' is negligible.

I was trying to understand why the Airfix wings, being 6-3's, weren't overlapping the Monogram kit wings, which are narrow-chord, until I looked at the sprues that showed all of the Airfix kit wing parts. After looking at them, (And I haven't got the Airfix kit, yet- waiting for a decent review and/or a build article before I lay out any money.) I have a nagging question: the way the wing parts appear to be engineered, it looks to these tired ole Mk 1a eyeballs that with a new additional sprue, Airfix could model an F40 wing Sabre without any changes in the fuselage, with the exception of that dorsal intake. Am I crazy? Help me Obie Wan Sabrejet!

Mike

• Like 1

Just a slight bit off topic, sorry, but Regarding swapping wings from various kits, this conversion sold by Red Roo in Aussie will save trashing an otherwise good Monogram kit, albeit at a price:

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/red-roo-early-sabre-narrow-chord-wing-with-slats-1-48-scale/

For those of us in UK currently concerned about mail ordering from outside the UK and acquiring import/Post Office charges (well I am for one) I'd be quite surprised if Ali at Aerocraft Models hasn't had the germ of an idea for a slatted wing conversion for the Airfix kit. Well that's perhaps sowed the seed anyway! Over to you Ali....

Cheers, Nige

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I was trying to understand why the Airfix wings, being 6-3's, weren't overlapping the Monogram kit wings, which are narrow-chord, until I looked at the sprues that showed all of the Airfix kit wing parts. After looking at them, (And I haven't got the Airfix kit, yet- waiting for a decent review and/or a build article before I lay out any money.) I have a nagging question: the way the wing parts appear to be engineered, it looks to these tired ole Mk 1a eyeballs that with a new additional sprue, Airfix could model an F40 wing Sabre without any changes in the fuselage, with the exception of that dorsal intake. Am I crazy? Help me Obie Wan Sabrejet!

Mike

Yep that sounds about right :)

• Like 1