HMS Legion ventures into the Mediterranean

Dear Colleagues

After a few trials and tribulations here is my 1/700 Flyhawk HMS Legion.  The precision of the moldings are magnificent.  My only additions apart from the Eduard PE RN crew and Fine Molds nanodread pom pom & quad 0.5" were the scratch mahogany name plates on the after deck house and crest on the bridge front, yes these are very small.  Unfortunately, I discovered the hull had a slight sag so had to place her in quite a lively sea with a swell (otherwise her stern would appear to be rising 1 mm).  During my first photo shoot after a few snaps I snagged my base scenery which wiped out the fore mast radar, radio aerials and after 4" barrels, such is life with these fragile 1/700 ships.  Re-rigged aerials and re-purchased brass 4" barrels were necessary for the second photo shoot which was mercifully not error prone.

9hQjUns.jpg

With war approaching the RN stepped down from the big Tribal Class to the somewhat lessor armed J, K, and L class destroyers.  The pre-war view of the major threat coming from other destroyers and submarines was starting to look unbalanced as the power of the German and Italian air forces was appreciated.  The twin 4" MkXVI mount became the AA unit of choice and Legion was armed with these rather than the anti-ship 4.7" guns.  The Legion famously came to the aid of the torpedoed Ark Royal and took off many of her crew before she sank.  

6GWtV8x.jpg

After fighting with distinction in the Mediterranean, she was severely damaged by Air attack and put into Malta where she was sunk by bombing on 26th March 1942.

vgH6bQe.jpg

d9sRFSJ.jpg

kv2hRT9.jpg

hKOrQo4.jpg

Hope you like it?

Andrew

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic: seascape, model, weathering. Figures as well. Great pleasure to see your work!

Two kind requests if I may: can you desribe how did you waster and a maybe a few more photos, please.

Best regards, 

Michał.

Edited by socjo1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Andrew,

My compliments with the end result of HMS Legion. Fantastic.

Regards, Orion

• 3 weeks later...