Letov S.16 - KP 1/72 (95p) - Finished

AdrianMF

26 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

think I have one somewhere

Tony, the more S.16s the merrier! Any photobombing welcome.

I’ve ended up doing the front grilles the same olive colour as the rest of the plane. But looking at the pics in airwar.ru it does look a bit shiny. So I might have another look at that.

Havent heard from you in a while - how are you doing?

18 minutes ago, JWM said:

For sure I am going to do mine one day in Latvian livery.

Until I started looking at S.16s I had no idea that the Latvians also used a swastika (red) as a marking. And before I sorted out some Czech decals, I was seriously considering the Turkish markings because squares are easy to mask :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Until I started looking at S.16s I had no idea that the Latvians also used a swastika (red) as a marking. And before I sorted out some Czech decals, I was seriously considering the Turkish markings because squares are easy to mask :)

Interesting is that Yugoslavia used (tested?)  a single S.16 on floats. In Latvian livery one can do Magister, Gladiator, Bulldog, Seal, Hind... 

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Topside went fine:

91-F632-B2-C8-A1-4257-AFD2-5564-C418-AAD
On the bottom the port one is more or less OK but the starboard one will need a bit of a touch up:

3725-CA29-969-F-4742-AEDF-244-A29406-AF5

I'm pretty happy to have salvaged as much as I did from the undersides.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Topside went fine:

91-F632-B2-C8-A1-4257-AFD2-5564-C418-AAD
On the bottom the port one is more or less OK but the starboard one will need a bit of a touch up:

3725-CA29-969-F-4742-AEDF-244-A29406-AF5

I'm pretty happy to have salvaged as much as I did from the undersides.

Thank you for the kind welcome back Adrian….

Its a long story but all going ok for now.

Your Letov looks great with the paint and decals on. Such a big span on these birds.

I hunted out the ‘AB Model’ kit today, then went to look at his website.

Lovely models. Plus he has restored real railway wagons; is clearly a real artisan.

Well worth a look for the variety of Letov variants and an incredible looking Farman Goliath.

The end is in sight with this one Adrian. Really nice work

Best regards

Anthony 

• Like 1

Fuselage decals done:

05-D51492-2805-48-B5-937-F-9355691-C8-C3

Serial is made from strips of white cut out of some Matchbox He70 Hungarian markings, and the eagles were scanned from the faded and yellowed KP originals, image processed and reprinted onto white inkjet decal paper.

I’m going to try to work through my list and finish it today.

• Like 2

Got a bit distracted with some crew:

B1-FE1541-C2-CE-49-C9-80-BF-6533-FC100-B

… from a Dapol railway set. I’m wondering whether to have them holding gloves or parachutes. Early 1930s would be good for parachutes?

• Like 6

Got a bit more distracted with life, a walk, and more crew:

97072-D46-CACA-48-CE-82-EA-0-BE34-BE9043

Vaclav and Havel are now finished. I think the S.16 will have to wait another day, although I have nearly finished my list!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, malpaso said:

Are the added parts milliput and paper or such like?

Wine bottle foil is my material of choice,  The belts were strips of it, the lapels were rounded "V"s with pointed ends and little nicks taken out for the lapels and the helmet was made from a wider strip of foil round the back of the head (longer at the corners to get the chin straps) with a blob of Humbrol putty squashed over the head to give a little more volume. Goggles and ear covers were slices of 1mm rod from my now-unused cabane struts. All held together with CA. The base figures and faces are really nicely sculpted and detailed, and plastic actually carved and scraped nicely - I think it's soft polystyrene.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Those crew figures look fantastic Adrian

Thanks Craig! They turned out surprisingly well. As I said above, the whole set of figures is really nicely sculpted, animated and detailed, so it's a great place to start from. And I thought getting rid of the short jackets was going to be harder than it was.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Well, it’s a dainty little thing…

030-A2-ECB-20-B7-449-B-A57-F-F8-C8-C5-CB

798-BCE43-F6-C3-4-F7-A-9560-C49-C6-F5753

I will take some pictures for the gallery next week. I’ve got a few days away, which will be strange/nice.

I’m really enjoying this GB and will have to have another rummage through the stash when I get back.

[edit] …I have spent £2.95 on two kits so far, so I have another £7.04 to go… ;)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

• AdrianMF changed the title to Letov S.16 - KP 1/72 (95p) - Finished

This looks great and adds to my list of aircraft I'd like to build from the WW2 era. Why are all the new aircraft I discover biplanes 😮

Have I asked before how you do your rigging @AdrianMF? It looks very neat and tidy.

23 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

WW2 era

This one was retired in 1938 apparently, so it’s more like the Hart than the Swordfish.

23 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

rigging

Recently I have been using EZLine, a stretchy black thread for modelling. I use a cocktail stick to put a drop of CA where I want the thread to start, dip the end of the thread in CA accelerator and hold the end of the thread in the glue until it’s all set.

For kits with robust/nicely-fitting/rigid struts, I stick the struts in, put a drop of CA at the top of the strut and glue the thread to that, just stretching it very slightly, then trim the loose end off.

Otherwise I assemble the wings , cut the thread a bit short and use a drop of CA at the end point. Much more fiddly!

This time around, I found I didn’t need the CA accelerator as the CA set quite quickly.

I finish by putting a dab of the original paint over the tiny blobs of CA to kill the gloss.

Tweezers are a must and it’s a heck of a lot easier with an optivisor. I bought one with a range of lenses and built-in light off eBay for around a tenner last year and I’ve found it really useful.

Hope that helps, regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

This one was retired in 1938 apparently, so it’s more like the Hart than the Swordfish.

Recently I have been using EZLine, a stretchy black thread for modelling. I use a cocktail stick to put a drop of CA where I want the thread to start, dip the end of the thread in CA accelerator and hold the end of the thread in the glue until it’s all set.

For kits with robust/nicely-fitting/rigid struts, I stick the struts in, put a drop of CA at the top of the strut and glue the thread to that, just stretching it very slightly, then trim the loose end off.

Otherwise I assemble the wings , cut the thread a bit short and use a drop of CA at the end point. Much more fiddly!

This time around, I found I didn’t need the CA accelerator as the CA set quite quickly.

I finish by putting a dab of the original paint over the tiny blobs of CA to kill the gloss.

Tweezers are a must and it’s a heck of a lot easier with an optivisor. I bought one with a range of lenses and built-in light off eBay for around a tenner last year and I’ve found it really useful.

Hope that helps, regards,

Adrian

It looks like I have the same approach but I don't use the accelerator as I have a spray one, not a liquid one. Yours are super neat. I don't have an optivisor though so I think that might be a fathers day wish list item.....

• Like 1

Hi Adrian. Congratulations on an absolutely superb result!! Very well done! :worthy:

And thank you very much for building it in this GB. I look forward to seeing your Gallery photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...