AFV Club 1/35th M109A2 Op Granby

Bish

This is one of 2 AFV Club 35th armour kit i have started and tehse are the first of their kits i have built that are not 251's.

spacer.png

I'm adding Fruil tracks, Voyager PE and Star decals. I am doing the vehicle on the right, from the 4th Arm Brig.

spacer.png

Spent a couple of hours on it last night and got the running gear added.

spacer.png

And then started on the upper hull.

spacer.png

Going well so far, nice fit with just the usual AFV pour stubs on the inside that have to be removed. A bit more plastic then i will start adding PE.

• Like 10

I now have the hull finished to the paint stage. I have not used all of the PE for it as some is for inside hatches i have closed and other parts are IMHO best left off as the kit parts are more realistic. I am not a big fan of voyager sets and now i only buy them where i just want a somthing to add and no one else does anything for that kit and the spares box doesn't have it (mainly anything that isn't German). So this is the hull now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And have now started on the turret. Same again here for the PE, picking carefully what parts i use and which i don't. The barrel is from the kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work on the turret continues.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a long update. I got the turrety finished a couple of weks ago. Plenty of PE here. But i again i didn't use everything. The PE set included hinges and the locking mechanisim for the ammo locker door, but i felt the kit parts were much better. After i took the pics, i realised i had put the 4 rear bins on wrong, so they were then removed and fitted the right way.

spacer.png

I took a Clansman antenna mount from the spares box, this is a resin Accurate Armour piece that came with my Warrior conversion set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then i was ready for primer and paint. Nice easy scheme, over all desert sand, i used the Xtracolor gulf War sand, although this colour has been is use for British desert vehicles for a long time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Followed by the decals. The decal instructions don't have an image of the rear for this vehicle, so i added the rear chevron based on the others on the sheet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also got the Fruil tracks together. I found these a real pain, every link had to be drilled out both front and rear. They also have different links for where the track goes round the drive sprocket and rear idler so it not just a case of sticking them all together.

spacer.png

After a couple of coats of Aqua gloss, tine for some weathering. I gave it a light dry brush, a panel line wash, light dot filtering and finally some steaking useing AK's DAK streaking grime.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up, i will be painting and adding tools and various stowage before some final dust effects.

• Like 11

Thanks Roger.

I wrapped this up last night. Once everything was together i used some pigmenst for final dust effects. I don't have a pic of this vehicle so i based the stowage on the photo's i have found. The fabric flag is from AMP and its a bit bigger that i had expected for a 35th flag and while the other one looked out of place on my Scimitar i don't think its so bad on this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Its been nice to build an AFV Club kit thats not a 251. Just what i would expect from them. Nice kit and i am pleased with the end result.

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...