Help with Eduard 1:48 AGM-65 Maverick

Gidge

Has anyone built the Eduard AGM65 Mavericks?

The main body of the missile and the base come as separate pieces on on different resin blocks. Does anyone have any advice on jetting a good 90 degree surface on both joins and mating them correctly?

See images below

648151_3.png

1005063-92942-24-1440.jpg

1005064-92942-44-1440.jpg

1005066-92942-66-1440.jpg

11 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

You already have your question answered on Scalemates.

Within a couple seconds of me posting here. Though if anyone knows a smarter/easier way I'd love to hear it.

Couple of seconds? You got answered at 12:39 and posted here 14:30-ish...

The described way is the only way unless you have access to some fancy lathe or 3D milling equipment. Using a hobby saw will never get you a cut good enough to ensure a good alignment of the mating surfaces.

I gave no idea what was posted on scalemates, but I would drill a rel large hole in both surfaces, so you'd only need to worry about 2 rings.... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I gave no idea what was posted on scalemates, but I would drill a rel large hole in both surfaces, so you'd only need to worry about 2 rings.... 

Bingo!

• Haha 1

On 22/05/2021 at 13:38, Nebbor said:

You already have your question answered on Scalemates.

Well maybe he was looking for an answer from here as well? nothing wrong with that an no need to go after the guy for it.

4 hours ago, Julien said:

Well maybe he was looking for an answer from here as well? nothing wrong with that an no need to go after the guy for it.

Well said. There seem to be some less than helpful people here

Andy 

Out of interest - what was suggested on Scalemates? Ive had a look and cant find it and also have these in the stash and find it tricky to get this arrangement aligned nicely.

The drilling idea sounds good, I just worry about breaking the fins off

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Dot said:

There seem to be some less than helpful people here

Thankfully, only a few and they don't last long. :poop:

Back on topic: Speaking personally, I usually use a ball-shaped tool in my Dremel to make the mating point convex, in a similar way to @exdraken describes.  The only difference being that I find the abrasive method offers a little more control over a drill :)

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thankfully, only a few and they don't last long. :poop:

Back on topic: Speaking personally, I usually use a ball-shaped tool in my Dremel to make the mating point convex, in a similar way to @exdraken describes.  The only difference being that I find the abrasive method offers a little more control over a drill :)

I'd use a drill, but not a Dremel... I guess you fingers are strong enough to drill into Eduard's soft resin so you have maximum control. Fins do not break easily, usually they are not really brittle.

But in the end it is the same method, large diameter drill or ball shaped tool!

@Gidge have you been successful?

Thanks guys. I've been reasonably successful to the point where you'd have to know to look for it. Was able to get them flat and close enough to 90 degrees by using a plate of class to sand against. the 32 scale version would probably be easier to work with. It seems none of their competitors have found a better way to do it.

The resin is super soft, you definitely want to use PPE when working with it because the dust goes everywhere. I was able to press insulin syringes and sewing needles into the section in the nose under where the seeker head will be mounted to hold them for airbrushing. I'd be concerned about using anything powered unless it's super slow speed.

I'm glad to hear that the less than helpful people are the minority here and tend not to last.

Ordered a pair not long ago (yet to pick them up). Glad I saw this since I would not have been smart enough, I think, to figure out how to do it.. ;)

I would probably have messed up and ordered Hasegawa´s Weapons pack or something..

PS There is a forum on Scalemates?