MasterCraft 1/72 Mig-31 Foxhound

Hello everyone.

Here is my first entry to this groupbuild :) I bought this set, along with 2 other sets for 250 dkk for all 3, which is equal to 29 gbp, so is guess it is okay to build this set in this GB? 🤔 

At first glance this kit looks good, some rough edges here and there, but it should be possible to make it look good. There is a lot of weapons option :D The decalsheet is a bit curved, but looks okay. 

I've always been a bit fascinated by the Foxhound due to it looks (those giant exhausts just look crazy 😎
I'll be building option 2, the 08. It is not the most colourful aircraft i've ever made, but I think it will look great once finished :D 

For this build, I'll see if I can improve on the quality of my pictures.

The box:
y4mICKAUeEtGcERshz-xQtpQ419S0Q3BkqCDGhNG

The sprues:

y4m3tpvmTTj54-39y3FpePtw8Tts6uvAkkUpRKU_y4mLyGHGcar1dUX-5pxCw7Tj066G9CLdjETmcZxI

The instructions, decals and the paints:

y4mHxcq5t89-TYp8CRccq_EdCOoY7K9AHsmfCZ1fy4mHjZFAgMhNLBTAJ10RLOcuXRx8oal_g5oPNGfe

• Like 7

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Welcome to the GB. Great looking kit! I'm looking forward to seeing it in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers 🙂 Yes, I began the work on the cockpit right away. It is very simple, and no decals to live it up.. I'll have to look in my stash 🙈 and maybe scratch build some dials too🙃

• Like 1

Wow. Beast of an aeroplane. Looking forward to the build. Who did that kit originally, do you know? I had a quick look on scalemates.com and gave up because it’s too complicated for me this afternoon!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow. Beast of an aeroplane. Looking forward to the build. Who did that kit originally, do you know? I had a quick look on scalemates.com and gave up because it’s too complicated for me this afternoon!

Regards,

Adrian

Indeed, it is a very large plane, right now I'm finishing my A4 skyhawk, while the part for the Foxhound lays next to it, it's close to twice the length ;) Regarding the origins of the kit I dont know, a quick look en scalemates said Condor, but I don't know if thats correct 🙃

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on the Foxhound 🐕😎
I have assembled the cockpit, which, as mentioned above,  is shamefully simple. There is no dials or instruments. I have cut some tape in small squares to representate instruments and drilled small holes for dials. Hope it will turn out allright 🤔 So far the kit is very rough, the two fuselage parts where filled flash, some of it was so thick I had doubts about if it was a part of the fuselage. Hopefully I havent removed something that I should'nt :D 

y4mk0yNwabLfHlEnaGsSp10Lm1lubsX_uZQ-qqd5 y4m_KWDSEuHXHMwI9NV1OyN90JDW4mjrYW6ZAWG3

• Like 2

On 22/05/2021 at 17:22, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

Look for Condor, ICM pre- 2005 mould. or MAC Distribution.  I've got the MAC Distribution 2001 release, not too bad and it has fine recessed panel lines and no grainy plastic

Edited by SAU
  • Thanks 1

The cockpit is now painted and glued in place, and the fuselage have been assemble too. It didnt go together without a lot of fuzz. I had to remove lots of plastic from the fuselage part so the cockpit would fit in. Anyways, I think the result is okay :)
y4m4UEKZXsyccfL2wC-W2BUbvNX84WjVgpHW_uEey4m_441sg5iX4D8otPf4Nrl2lXaiiB15JEzOdRb6y4mmbB3CXVSeO0UbbJKA4DZ9932KvuyvCiBnJK1w

• Like 7

More progress have been made:D The wing are now attached, so are the air intakes. I is such a large aircraft compared to my other 1/72 scale models. I just HAVE to make one some day in 1/48 :D (A quick look online showed it will not be in this GB 🤑🤠)
This kit is definitely not coming easy together🤦‍♂️Nothing really fits proberly, and demands at lot work just to look OK. I have used a lot of mr. surfacer for all the small gaps between the parts. I am a bit scared thinking of how the landing gear will come together 😱
Here are the newest pictures :)

y4m0P7bOtsxlOOp8IWkMcCOYA9_rZeCWpKLDcpray4mK92QFqcMH_RvPlbau3Y0X1ozwsG5IdMQfBCyw 

• Like 5

Okay, I have fiddled with the landing gear for some time now, and I just dont think I can build it looking satisfying, the fit is just to bad (for my skills anyways) . So i guess I'll be making it with wheels up, and the make a stand to it somehow :D 

After a much needed short break away from this kit, today I found some energy to get cracking again. Nearly everything is now glued together, except for som small detail that I know that I inevitably will break off 🤠 As mentioned above, It will be wheelsup, but I'm work on some sort of stand to print with a 3D printer :D

It has just been primed with my "brand new" second hand Iwata Neo airbrush, now that I tried that, I not sure my old one ever will be used again ;) But the primer showed alot af small errors I'll have to repair/mend. Some sinkmarks is beyond my skills to repair proberly, and will only make things worse 🤔🤦‍♂️ Btw, making the mask for the windows was quite trouble too, because there is no structures in the canopy, it's just "plain". Hopefully it will be alright 🤨

y4m93QgUzH2aKmnuNswIA2IZXaN6c415HZKApttX

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, TimJ said:

Making good progress. 

Thank you :) It is not a very good set TBH, so my motivation struggles a bit. But from now on its mostly painting, and that not the worst thing in the world :)

Progress is sloooow, and I really have to restrain myself from not starting on the next project, othervise I'm not sure this will be completed :)
But now that it has been primed and preshaded, I think things are starting to look allright. The armament is nearly done, still need some weathering though to look less toy-like🤠
y4muHBKFpt67hry16vS4tli_xNLDKetJsrLgk6k5

• Like 6

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good in the pre-shade coat!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you. Yes, it helped a lot. Hoping to slap some paint on it tonight, but the football matches consumes most of my sparetime at the moment 😄

Oh 💩....!

This kit have given me a lot of issues, and they keep coming. I've actually made some progress, painting done, clear coat on. Then along came the decals.. My lord... After a quick sip in the warm water, they cracked i many pieces, which was impossible to make look decent.

So I'm now at a deadend. Haven't got a backup set, and spare decals is, with the shipment, nearly twice the price of the entire kit, which was very close to the tenner budget. So what to do?

Would it be okay to buy new decals? 

Does anyone in here have spare decals for a Mig 31 Foxhound in 1/72 they dont need :D ? (I'll pay for them and the shipment of course :) )

Best regards - Flemming

• Sad 1