Zvezda Bf.109F kit - suitable to build as a Bf.109G-2?

Wm Blecky

As the Fine Molds Bf.109G-2 kit seems to be currently unavailable, I have been looking for alternatives.  I think I've settled on the Zvezda 109F kit as a possible solution.  I'd be interested in member's input as to it's suitability for such a project.  Overall, it looks to be a fine kit and compares favourably with the Tamiya 109G-6 kit (fuselage length, wingspan).  I realize that I will have to make a few changes to the kit, such as removing the tail braces and using the Quickboost Bf.109G prop set, but otherwise, this should work - yes?

It might pass cursory inspection, but due to the larger engine, the supercharger inlet and oil cooler were larger. Possibly the radiators too. Find a good close up of the nose of both to see the difference.

• Like 1

Windscreen quarterlights or their absence, additional cooling intake on the side of the nose.  Possibly solid wheel not spoked?  Check that the Quickboost prop set is suitable for the G-2 as opposd to the G-6.  Heavier frames on the canopy: again, not sure about their introduction.  Similarly tailwheel - larger on the G generally.

Why not modify a Tamiya G-6 anyway?

14 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Windscreen quarterlights or their absence, additional cooling intake on the side of the nose.  Possibly solid wheel not spoked?  Check that the Quickboost prop set is suitable for the G-2 as opposd to the G-6.  Heavier frames on the canopy: again, not sure about their introduction.  Similarly tailwheel - larger on the G generally.

Why not modify a Tamiya G-6 anyway?

First of all, difference of windscreen, cause armoured glass fitted in the frame... A vacu part maybe suitable. Tailwheel had 2 versions, earlier G had the smaller one. Also propellers need to be modified. However,  G-6 cowl gun chutes are hard to backdate to G-2. Panel lines on access such as fuel altered too..

• Thanks 1

I built it as an F-4/Trop with the larger supercharger intake from Quickboost plus filter and it looked fine but as to how it compares with a G-2 I'm not sure, although AZ do the G-2 so this may be worth a try instead.

On the plus side the kit went together really well and it's great value although the canopy is a little too long so needs some fettling.

Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1

Thanks fellas.

I have given some thought to making a few F-4s out of the ones I have on hand, but the wheel well opening is squared at the ends as opposed to being round, which is what got me to thinking of doing a G-2 out of the kit:

spacer.png

I believe for the smaller tailwheel, I could use the Quickboost 109E tailwheel (which is intended to correct the under sized Tamiya kit's one).  I think it would work for the G-2.  As for the air intake. again, Quickboost comes to the rescue.  I already have these sets on hand, so I do not have to put out any additional funds.

I am not a huge fan of the AZ kits, mainly as they buggered up their fuselages at the front end.  The AZ kits do make for really good parts kits though.

Oh yes, as for a canopy, I test fitted a Fine Molds canopy to the Zvezda kit and the fit was quite good.  Based on that, I feel that I could use a Rob Taurus vac canopy (something else that I have on hand) to address that concern.

50 minutes ago, JasonC said:

It might pass cursory inspection, but due to the larger engine, the supercharger inlet and oil cooler were larger. Possibly the radiators too. Find a good close up of the nose of both to see the difference.

Ah, yes.  I forgot about the larger oil cooler.  Curses!  Mind you, perhaps I can pilfer one from one of my AZ 109 parts kits???

Be careful.

I would suggest to get a kit, which is the version you need. Maybe or quite sure, you must correct anyway some details for the correct version. Aftermarket products end up very often in a hughe bill.

I did all this before, time taught & experience taught me that.

Happy modelling 

It would have to be an early G-2, otherwise you need fairings atop the wheel wells for the larger tires.

Comparing drawings, air scoop under nose appear to be differently shaped when viewed from underneath.   Pitot tube needs to be placed inboard a few scale inches.  One drawback about the Zvezda 1/72 kit is no control balances on the ailerons are provided.

Surface details on the fuselage, some already mentioned;

Green = add,

Red = remove

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget to scribe the additional panel lines on upper wing surfaces. The F-2 had a very large single panel in the center, which all the later F- and G- models had divided to smaller components. V-P

Hi all,

Related to the Zvezda kit configuration has:

- narrow prop blades *,

- early, thinner compressor air intake *,

- deep (late F, G-2) oil cooler under nose,

- windscreen without external armour,

- angural wheel wells,

- main wheels up to G-2,

- early tail wheel. G-2 often later fitted with larger tail wheel,

- strenghtening strips on the rear fuselage *

Making it as a G-2 needs in addition to this needs to taken into account points marked with stars.  In adition with little scoops on nose, deleting the triangular windows below the windscreen, and moving the fuel filler.

It would also help to thin the fin from inside and check fitting of the canopy and adjust if needed.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

That is interesting about the wing top panel lines.  Seems both Zvezda and Eduard kept it simple with their 1/48 kits.  Actually, the Zvezda G-6 is extremely simplified with just the one on wingtip, along the outer edge of the forward slat, like their 72nd F-2.

None seem to flow this diagram from the 109lair

, but this site has them exactly the same for the F-2.

f2_top.jpgK

6 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Apologies for going off on a tangent, but what are the Zvezda kits like?

I really like them. Don't let the snap fit fool you, they are accurate in size and shape, fairly finely detailed and go together well with no gaps. Some minor detail complaints, aileron mass balances completely missing for example, but no deal breaker issues. Overall excellent value, and they come with a rather nice pilot figure too!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Zvezda models Bf-109F 1/48 were created on the basis of original german factory drawings, the direct developer was a well-known (in circles) aerospace engineer (he was the one of developers of the Airbus A-380), the consultant was a very well-known major expert in russia on the topic. There are only two problems, incorrect wingtips and an air intake, for which there was no factory data and therefore they were made by eye. 1/72 F is just downscale of 1/48.

At the same time, Zvezda G 1/48 are made by completely different people without the same level of expertise,  the Zvezda has trite decided not to pay on the experts, german blueprints were not used, and therefore, in terms of accuracy, it turned out are much worse.

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3