SAAF Gripens

Antb

Hi Guys, 

Im soon going to be making a start on Kitty Hawk's 48th Gripen A/C and wanting to model it in the markings of the SAAF. 

Having carried out numerous searches online of SAAF aircraft i have come up with loads of images of them flying without ordnance. I like to model my aircraft carrying something (because its cool) and so was wondering what a "typical" SAAF loadout would be. I am aware that the Gripen can carry a wide variety of ordnance and there are loads of images of Czech and Swedish aircraft carrying lots of types of ordnance and could model the SAAF aircraft carrying what ive found in these images, but i would like to build something that is fairly accurate to the SAAF.

I am looking to place an order for the right fuel tank(s) as am aware the one in the box isnt quite right and do like the idea of some AM ordnance too.

I'd, therefore, be really grateful if someone with some knowledge could point me in the right direction. 

Many thanks 

Ant 

4 hours ago, Vlamgat9 said:

thanks!

A-Darter:

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/a-darter-type-certification-marks-development-completion/

I could not find photos of SAAF Gripens with GBU-12 as of yet! but of course the Gripen generally carries it in other countries!

so no radar guided missile /R-Darter..... :( maybe Meteor some day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

I could not find photos of SAAF Gripens with GBU-12 as of yet! but of course the Gripen generally carries it in other countries!

You would think they would carry them, photos are scarce aren’t they. 

I think I’ll load it up with 4 GBU-12’s and 2 x Iris T’s just because it would look great. 

Thanks for for the help and pointers 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

thanks!

A-Darter:

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/a-darter-type-certification-marks-development-completion/

so no radar guided missile /R-Darter..... :( maybe Meteor some day!

Doubtful there’s any budget for Meteor

3 hours ago, Spotter said:

Here is one SAAF Grippen arriving for the AAD Airshow at Waterkloof, loaded up for the static display:

http://www.flying-wings.com/2014/aad-2014-south-africa-aerospace-defence

Thanks very much. 

Those bomb racks do appear quite a common thing on SAAF Gripens. I cant seem to find any and there's no aftermarket ones that I can find anywhere either. 

It is interesting that the SAAF could not go for some of the shelf dual bomb carriers. Even Alcan has some for the Mirage F1 and 2000...

Is this really worth it?

2 hours ago, Orso said:

Thank you for this. 

They do look really good but the cost plus shipping charge makes these mega expensive. I'll give them some thought 

iirc the pylons on the Kitty Hawk Gripens are the ones from the A/B versions. I think (think!) you would need the more NATO compatible (iirc) that CMK does in resin. MAestro Model makes the extra tanks in resin. Quite costly, but iirc (I think! ;) )  they are the same as the Danish Draken tanks - so if you have one of those Hasegawa sprues... It´s the bigger, wider, slightly flatter ones - not the Swedish Draken tanks.

• Like 1

Correct regarding pylons, but that might be minor detail. The NATO pylons are bulged a bit...

Regarding the tanks, the Hasegawa Draken tanks look rather large compared to Italeri / Maestro Gripen tanks...

• Like 1