1/72 Gnat "Yellowjacks" Display Team (My first model in 2 years)

After having to unfortunately leave my old house in a hurry, I lost nearly all my modelling supplies. My airbrush, paints, everything gone. As a result of this, for some time, I didn't think I'd ever go back to modelling...I considered it a lost hobby. Alas, that finally changed!

A local modelling shop in the new place where I live had one of these in stock...and I just had to try it! I always loved the bright yellow scheme of the yellow jacks. So I grabbed this, some clearfix, decalfix, and sourced a can of Humbrol 69 spray can...and hey presto! Try not to be too harsh - I know there are a lot of faults....and I didn't have any filler either at the time (money is extremely tight) so there's a fair few gaps. I did a full review with more pictures on my website (which hasn't been updated since 2018....until today) - you can see that here.

xFldL10.png

LtQLHrK.png

3kYSxmo.png

• Like 40

Welcome back to modelling!  It's good to know you're getting back into it.

That's a great finish on the Gnat, and the yellow scheme looks really well done.  

I didn't know there was a yellow spray paint; I brush-painted the yellow, and it was the worst behaved paint I have ever used!  It was the consistency of skimmed milk, and with the number of coats I had to use, I lost all the panel detailing.

I think the Gnat is one of the kits that doesn't really require filler because the joints aren't much more prominent than the panel lines.

Welcome back. Hope you manage to build up your modelling supplies again. You’ve certainly made a good job of this little kit. Looking forward to the next one. 

Not too shabby, young lady! Yellow is the very hardest paint to apply, either by brush or airbrush, but you have done it very well. Welcome back to the hobby and Britmodeller! BTW, what kit is this? Looks like the new-tool Airfix kit.  What's next?

Mike

10 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Great return, you have obviously got the base skills, looking forward to your next build!

Thank you! I was surprised at this too! 

9 hours ago, neilg said:

Welcome back to modelling!  It's good to know you're getting back into it.

That's a great finish on the Gnat, and the yellow scheme looks really well done.  

I didn't know there was a yellow spray paint; I brush-painted the yellow, and it was the worst behaved paint I have ever used!  It was the consistency of skimmed milk, and with the number of coats I had to use, I lost all the panel detailing.

I think the Gnat is one of the kits that doesn't really require filler because the joints aren't much more prominent than the panel lines.

Thank you! I didn't know there was a yellow paint until I saw it. I was pleasantly surprised. It's almost as if they know it's awful to paint and capitalised on it! 

8 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Welcome back. Hope you manage to build up your modelling supplies again. You’ve certainly made a good job of this little kit. Looking forward to the next one. 

The supplies are getting there. Went and bought some more Revell paint the other day (my poison of choice)! Got a few kits now too...just need to find some proper model stores for me to explore for old rarities! That's a task for today! 

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not too shabby, young lady! Yellow is the very hardest paint to apply, either by brush or airbrush, but you have done it very well. Welcome back to the hobby and Britmodeller! BTW, what kit is this? Looks like the new-tool Airfix kit.  What's next?

Mike

It's the 2019 reboxing of the Yellowgnat which has the re-tool of the Gnat. I have got the old tool on it's way now! As a kid I had the 40th Anniversary set of the Red Arrows, and I couldn't resist getting it again...so here I am! That one I'll hopefully do all in one go too! 

21 minutes ago, theskits62 said:

Looks good to me - welcome back

Aww! Thanks! 

@Ms Modeller yellow really is a horror to get right: I wrecked a perfectly good Airfix B-17G in my youth trying to get even adequate coverage on the tail surfaces (Airf8x Yellow G2 enamel applied with an ordinary brush; flat or chisel-edged brushes help a bit).  It was a while before I found out that a coat or two of white primer, applied thinly, could save a lot of grief.

If you get the chance treat yourself to the 1/48 th scale Gnat, it's even more fun to build  and doesn't take up a huge amount of shelf space either.

Lovely Gnat! Sounds like your modelling (and general life) situation is challenging so well done for persevering and getting such a good result. Extra kudos for tackling a yellow scheme which can make the most zen of us into a jibbering wreck!

You really met the challenge of that yellow scheme!

It looks great and really stands out to great effect.

:clap2:

Glad you made it back to the hobby after the setbacks that came your way.  

Just goes to show you don’t need loads of fancy gear to do a good job. The 1/72 Gnat is a tricky little kit and you’ve produced a great build and as others have said, yellow is a difficult colour to get right. Nicely done.

I dont want to quote reply everyone again, as I'm just getting ready for work, but wanted to say thanks again! I've had the older Gnat kits arrived and....oh dear the difference. So that'll he my weekend project!