Two SEA Huns: F-100D (1968, Bien Hoa Vietnam) and F-100F "Wild Weasel" (1969, Korat Thailand)

Here is my take at two Vietnam Huns. Pretty straightforward builds using the Italeri kits with a bit of Eduard PE in the cockpits. As both kits only come with a closed canopy, I cut off the respective windscreens and built the canopy actuators from scratch.

On the F-100F, I added the appropriate antennae under the nose/belly and on the tail fin, while drilling out the cooling intake on the tail, to portray one of the early Wild Weasels. I added a Shrike missile (which was typically carried on the port in-board position) and rocket launchers from the spares box (I believe from Italeri's A-10). 

The F-100D was armed with Hasegawa Mk.82s and M-117s from the kit (with some leftover fuse extenders). I also used a Taurus vacform canopy on this one, to correct the wrong Italeri canopy.

Decals are from Caracal, with markings for:
- F-100D no. 55-2932 “Nashville Sound”, 90TFS 3TFW, Bien Hoa AB (Vietnam), ca. 1968
- F-100F no. 58-1226, 614TFS 35TFW, Korat RTAFB (Thailand), December 1965

For the fun of it, I used two different sets of paint: the F-100D is finished in Gunze paints, for the F-100F I used Vallejo's colours for the first time.

Enjoy the pics!
Patrick

Credits background picture: designed by Freepik, photo by jannoon028: https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/clouds-sunset-mountains_986559.htm

Edited by fox1_BE
  • Like 57
  • Thanks 1

I recently did a double build of F4 Phantoms in SEA camo. Like you, I used different paints on each build. I’m curious how you’d compare your experience with the Vallejo & Gunze colors. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I recently did a double build of F4 Phantoms in SEA camo. Like you, I used different paints on each build. I’m curious how you’d compare your experience with the Vallejo & Gunze colors. 

Hi Bill - Comparing the Gunze and Vallejo paints, I think I have a preference for Gunze: airbrushing the Vallejo paints, I felt “less in control”, it just seemed harder to get a consistent paint/thinner mix and to spray the paint in a nicely controllable - and repeatable - manner. I must say that I did not use any retarder to avoid paint drying too quickly in the airbrush - or other additives - just Vallejo’s own thinner. Perhaps it is just a matter of experimenting more and finding a good balance between dillution, air pressure and spraying distance. And in the end I am happy with the overall finish. So I will for sure use specific colours in their range.

Another thing I noticed is that the Vallejo paints appear more fragile when airbrushed on, even after drying 24h or more. This was particularly noticeable when doing the paint chipping on the exhausts. Using the same hairspray method on both, it was clear that the Vallejo paints chipped much faster when water was applied. Again here, Gunze paints allowed better control of this effect.

... my 2 cents contribution 😉 Hope this helps and interested to read other builders’ stories 👍

Cheers,

Patrick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I imagine everyone's first glance at any Hun model is to check out the heat discoloration and wear around the engine.   Your two beauties pass that inspection with flying colors.   Those are two beautiful F-100s sir; well done indeed!   :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Patrick!

I like your Super Sabres very much. You did an outstanding job on both of them! The scenario in the revetment look great, too. Difficult to believe you used different paint brands as the colors look so similar. Were both acrylics?

BTW: Have built the very same duo 10 years ago, but unfortunately had no aftermarket decals at hand back then.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mario said:

Difficult to believe you used different paint brands as the colors look so similar. Were both acrylics?

Thanks Mario - yes: Gunze and Vallejo are both acrylic paints. 
Cheers,

Patrick

• Like 1

Those are two Hundingers! What the others have said goes double for me! Excellent job on the hot section blistering of both models, and the weathering on the undersides of the F-100D. Yes- a  well-done diorama, as well!

Mike

• Like 1

Great work, they look brilliant the paint blistering is always a challenge to pull off but you've got a realistic look on both models!

Rich

• Like 1