A Dekno Double and an Avi to boot - Leopard, Hornet, and Puss Moth's in 1/72

I'll freely admit, the last thing I need in terms of modeling is more Works in Progress. I must have 10 by now. Long story short, the British Bipe Triple build got boring, even though 2 of the 3 are ready for paint. I tried making a start on the Matchbox Wellesley to combat this, but then I couldn't decide which version to build. Now we're here. Recently, I purchased the Dekno Models 1/72 DH.85 and DH.87B Leopard and Hornet Moths. The former is still in the mail from Spain itself, but the latter has been sitting on the shelf for a few weeks, sitting on top of the Avi Models 1/72 DH.80A Puss Moth. Today, I decided to make a start on the DH.87B, cleaning up all of the parts that I could. I then started building the interior.

Here's the (very small) box - 

Dekno Models DH87

Work begins by cleaning up the upper half of the fuselage. I've never before worked on a kit that was divided this way, but I think I understand the thought process behind this design. If the fuselage were produced like most aircraft kits are, it would be difficult to properly produce the framing between the rooftop windows. If it were up to me, I simply would have made the rooftop windows a single clear part, which would solve the problem. Perhaps there are other reasons then.

For an understanding of the size of this kit, here is the upper fuselage section compared to the fuselage of a Revell 1/72 P-26. 

Dekno Models DH87

The interior of this one is understandably simple, consisting of a console on to which the two seats are mounted, a control stick, an instrument panel, and the main fuel tank. These attach to the fuselage floor, or in the case of the instrument panel, to the inside of the upper half.

Dekno Models DH87

Belts are molded on to the seats, and look the part. The control column will likely be replaced if I can find something suitable. Then painting will begin. Before then, I'll make a start on the DH,80A and get that kit's interior ready for painting as well, as they will be the same colors. Photos of that kit should be up soon.

(And to think, I could also start the Airfix Tiger Moth and Amodel DH.60 Floatplane... No, that would be too crazy.)

Thanks all,

Updates hopefully soon,

Tweener

• Like 7

While the first layers of paint dry on the inside of the Hornet Moth, I've pulled down the box of the Puss Moth to get a shot of the box.

DH80A

This boxing provides decals for a RCAF Puss Moth, and another operated by the Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company of British Columbia in 1935. I haven't yet decided which I will build, as though I really like the RCAF scheme, it would be nice to add some color to the shelf. A civilian scheme would also be welcome.

In any case, I won't be making much progress on this one just yet - I want to get the fuselage of the Hornet Moth finished first, and I need to finish at least one of the three from the Bipe Triple Build. Perhaps I should finish the two RAF Mustangs as well? Or the Spitfire Mk.1?

Perhaps...

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 4

Nice, looking forward to these, the Puss Moth kit is nice, the front part of the fuselage will need to be spaced out a bit to match the windscreen and nose.  Looking forward to the other two not seen any of those built yet.

Chris

On 5/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Nice, looking forward to these, the Puss Moth kit is nice, the front part of the fuselage will need to be spaced out a bit to match the windscreen and nose.  Looking forward to the other two not seen any of those built yet.

Chris

I've heard that as well, but I don't think it'll give me too much of a hassle. I also haven't seen a build of the 85 or 87, which makes me a little nervous.

Some of those nerves were solved last night when the 85 arrived from Spain. Simply put, this kit is *beautiful*.

dh.85

Its quality, as well as the inclusion of canopy frames and masks shows that this is a newer kit than the 87.

dh.85

After about 2 minutes of removing some light flash and mold lines, the main parts look like this.

dh.85 dh.85

Perhaps needless to say, I am quite excited about this one. Now that most of the interior of the 87 has been painted, I can start building this one as well. That will start once painting and decaling of an Airfix Demon (Converted to a Hind) is completed. I still need to source a tailwheel for that one.

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 7

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

You'll be fine I'm sure.  That Leopard Moth kit looks lovely. Not surprised you're excited about it.  

Great haul.

Chris

I'm even more glad to have just found a NACA Circular publication on the type, detailing interior finishing and colors, as well as providing some diagrams. I may have to put the 87B on hold to get a start on this!

• Like 1

Most of the inside of the Leopard Moth has now been painted. Looking back, the gray and leather colors should likely be switched, but I think it looks quite nice the way it is.

dh85 Interior

Additionally, the doors, which are provided as clear resin, have been installed on both sides. Fit was very positive, but I still managed to get one slightly misaligned. Here is the left side, seen from the interior.

dh85 Interior

In the morning I plan to attach the interior to this half, install the small triangular windows aft of each door, and join the halves. Lots of filler will be needed on the top of the nose, unfortunately. I will probably use CA as I have never had any luck with Tamiya, Vallejo, or GSW putty.

In the meantime, I have a Hind to paint.

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, after returning from a hike, 

Hike

I decided to continue this build by making progress on the dh.85 Leopard Moth. To that end, the floorboard was trimmed and the fuselage halves were joined, following painting of the main panel. I've come to learn that I likely got the interior colors backwards (seats should be grey, floor and walls garnet) but in any case I like the way it looks now and don't care to change it. Once the halves were joined, lots of CA was run over the gaps, and some Evergreen strip was trimmed to fill the largest gap, directly under the nose. Most of this has since been sanded back, and I've run a sharpie over the lines to see how much more work I still have to do. Additionally, the horizontal tail surfaces were added. The vertical ones will follow once fuselage sanding is complete and the tailwheel has been added. At the moment, this is the state of affairs -

DH.85 Progress DH.85 Progress

So far, I have noticed that the panels on the nose will have to be redone, and the opening for the rooftop transparency needs to be made wider / the clear resin part reshaped. Both of these should be relatively easy affairs. In the background, I also committed to finishing the Airfix Tiger Moth that has been on the edge of the shelf for a few weeks. A few paint touch-ups were made, and the flat-coat is currently drying. 

Tiger Moth

The green that I used isn't quite correct, but I didn't care to hunt down a spray-can of the correct Foliage shade. I've never had any luck brush-painting green other than MM Olive Drab, so I shied away from that prospect as well. Ask me about the 9 coats of Dark Green on an Airfix Spitfire...

That's all for the moment,

Thanks all,

Tweener

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 6

These look good Leonard Moth progressing well and the Tiggie looks very nice.

I don't know if you've tried it but CA and talc makes a great filler, the more talc you add makes it easier to sand too, but also makes it dry quicker, it is an excellent filler and doesn't get dragged out of shallow lines like other fillers and scribes well too.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1

Oooh this is cool! 

On 7/8/2021 at 10:34 AM, Tweener said:

Tiger Moth

The green that I used isn't quite correct, but I didn't care to hunt down a spray-can of the correct Foliage shade.

Foliage Green is such a minefield, I just find something that I'm happy with and move on! Beautiful work on her. It's need to see Foliage Green Tigers.

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

These look good Leonard Moth progressing well and the Tiggie looks very nice.

I don't know if you've tried it but CA and talc makes a great filler, the more talc you add makes it easier to sand too, but also makes it dry quicker, it is an excellent filler and doesn't get dragged out of shallow lines like other fillers and scribes well too.

Great work 

Chris

I'm beginning to be very pleased with the dh.85 - it is certainly nicer than the dh.87 and it shows that the folks at Dekno have improved their craft over the years. I'm especially excited about this one and the Puss Moth, as I've just come across a few photos of their use by a certain air force that (by luck) I just obtained a fair number of roundels for without having any use in mind. As for the Hornet Moth, markings still need to be sourced as I don't have any intention of painting DE/DG over yellow. I may have to go for a civil example if I can't find more about their use in South Africa.

2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Oooh this is cool! 

Foliage Green is such a minefield, I just find something that I'm happy with and move on! Beautiful work on her. It's need to see Foliage Green Tigers.

It really is! I will try to go for something a little more "accurate" when I start my High Planes Beaufort IX / Beaufreighter, but for now I'm happy to settle with what I have - especially as the shade seemed to vary in the first place. 

• Like 2

Right then - time for wings. After some light trimming and re-shaping, they were attached today. Additionally, the landing gear and exhaust pipe were installed previously.

Now all that remains is to attach the last two parts of the canopy and then painting can begin. 

dh.85 Progress dh.85 Progress

How then shall it be painted? I was going to go with the provided scheme of a Dutch machine in RAF markings, but I couldn't find any reason to believe the indicated light blue-gray color has ever been made by MM, Humbrol, Tamiya, Vallejo, Mig, anyone! After some digging, I came across two photos on this site - https://www.belgian-wings.be/de-havilland-dh-85-leopard-moth. I decided to use this scheme as I recently purchased some Belgian roundels as part of a larger sheet. I'll use Tamiya Deck Tan, Vallejo Dark Earth, and Model Masters Olive Drab, and the underside of the wings and tail will be Model Masters Aluminum. Unless of course, someone knows the exact colors.

That's all for the moment,

Tweener

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The blue used for Dutch military light aircraft has been done by Colourcoats.  As have the other main Dutch colours.

Naturally I see this reply just after throwing down the first layer of Deck Tan... In any case, I plan to buy another Leopard Moth, which I'll hopefully do a better job on, and I'll hunt down a source for Colourcoats when I do.

Colourcoats are based in Scotland, and can be found on the internet under the name of Sovereign Hobbies.  They do have a US distributer, and I believe this is referenced on the site.  The main interest there is for the naval colours, so perhaps you may still be unlucky.

While paint dries on the 85, I've gotten a start on the 80 by reviewing the build previously posted by @Andrew.S

dh.80 Puss Moth Start

Soon, it'll all be ready for paint. So far, it's nice to get back to plastic!

That's all for now,

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 3