Consolidated Turbo Catalina

This is the Revell of Germany 1/48 scale kit converted into a what if Turboprop rescue aircraft.The engines are scratchbuilt using the engine nacelles from a Heller 1/72 scale KC-135.The propeller come from a Revell 1/72 scale Breguet Atlantic.The rudder was modified using parts of the plastic rudder of a MPM 1/48 scale Heinkel He 177 Greif (the model also includes resin rudders).The DGzRS markings were taken from a Revell 1/72 scale rescue cruiser.

Saluti

Giampiero

imgp76918hjci.jpg

imgp7692gjjmp.jpg

imgp7700pdka0.jpg

imgp7703zsk38.jpg

imgp77064sjy4.jpg

imgp7707p7jha.jpg

imgp7760jujsv.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

What a great idea! At first I was expecting the proposed Conroy(IIRC?) version with Darts but this is such a neat twist on the concept. I really like the mainwheel covers - a very smart touch!

We all joke and speculate about it now, but this could be the real thing in a few years, assuming 1) there's a market; and 2) it's cost-effective.  What a handsome result you've got!  Great job.

Very nice indeed.

Some more pictures of the finished model would be welcome. I can see you modified the main undercarriage and polished the framing out of the blisters, what else did you do?

What stevehnz said really sums it up: convincing.

If you hadn't spoilt the game by adding that "what if", you'd have had us all frantically combing the 'net for information of this new variant.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Just goes to show the lengths a modeler will go to in order to correct the too-small fin/rudder of the old Monogram kit. A very believeable 'what if' and just might happen, especially when the supply of rebuildable R-1830's dries up! Loved the wheel fairings, BTW!  👌

Mike

Very neat work.

Even further going concepts were (or still are) under consideration:

http://www.freylia.net/pby7at.html

Many Grumman Goose flights with turboprop engines (suggested next project?), I have found in net even four engines Catalinas (with two additional boxers, Lycomings perhaps) and even re-engined fireman machines but not the turboprops, interesting why?

Regards

J-W

I am also surprised this was not done as the aircraft frequently served as a firebomber and having turbines would have greatly increase its lift capacity.  Very nicely executed!