A pair of Coventry cats

A lot of paint has been thrown about since the last update.

y4mTlTg6TG16dlFT-lA76L714bgk0RgKdM0Wx_fE

The green car has had a top coat, which you see here having been rubbed down.  I've also placed the interior to give a sense of the final colour scheme.

y4mxAfm241PHMHtOqQ5vhzGaNyIk_PqmN38Htiup

Close-up on the interior.  I'm glad I applied the wash, it just adds a bit more depth to the upholstery than just painting it one colour.

y4mhLaK29R8C8hSp-cFo6TWWeuLlW3UBckY7LaFp

Unfortunately rubbing down has gone through to primer in a few places.  So I'll clean it up, give it a further rub down and apply some more paint (not necessarily today).

y4mFszbXSAXt4r9_VKRFYDzoXxrtk1GXEVj0-kmq

The blue, standard car had its first coats of paint today.  It'll be a few days before I rub it down and give it another coat.

y4mm_2lU0DaEc4yPjdZq0IzHBK7AnnjFOYAX2zP1

Close-up on the blue interior.  Despite choosing this colour scheme because I liked it on a full-size car, I wasn't entirely sure when I was looking at the separate elements, but seeing them all together I'm happy that they work.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The interiors do look great in the painted bodies.  The green looks lovely, they both do, shame it rubbed through to the primer, but is going to look awesome when redone

Chris

Yeah, the Tamiya British Green is a lovely colour.  It didn't seem to go on as nicely as the Italian Red I used on my Airfix Triumph Herald, but I don't know if the weather was too warm on the day I sprayed the green (even though I sprayed early in the morning it was still about 25 degrees!

• Like 1

Looks as though you've made some good progress on these, shame you hit primer but nothing you won't recover I'm sure.

In terms of spraying temperature, I've not had any problems at 25 degrees, but usually try to make that my upper limit if I can (have got away with 27 degrees before but prefer not to tempt fate).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress but I've managed to move this on a little.

y4mwO9GMS7HF6AvrrmGgPfiswlrtqtVRxooCEqnY

Interior and dashboard are pretty much complete.  The body is just resting in place to give an idea of the final look.

y4mnB26JwVrQeoNGvBIOgY_whf26nvTK4UruF0rh

The decals for the gauges went on really well, I was worried that they might disintegrate given they are pretty old.  As standard the gear lever and horn button are chrome plated, these were stripped and re-painted.  I really need to sort out the paint on the body.

• Like 12

• 3 months later...

Since the Ford Mustang group build is over I decided to have another look at these models.

y4mOuI9jgKgkMGvBQV4aJZs9R9K0Pad2dgF17-rD

Pretty much the same old story, more paint added, tried smoothing and getting burn through.

y4m4L0cnCU6uTbEaHyj40OYV3MTI9ObmPMlhKE9H

It comes up to a lovely shine but the car is such a complicated shape that it's hard to get it painted evenly and smoothed down again.

• Like 9

Good to see someone else getting back in the Jag habit after that Mustangy distraction.

I feel your pain on the burn through, it's something I think all of my models (except oddly that Mustang) have suffered to some degree ot other. It's got to the stage where I deliberately stop a bit early with the Micromesh, then go lightly with the Coarse polish and finally the finer compounds. A lot more polishing, but less chance (although not no chance) of the dreaded burn through.

• Thanks 1

On 27/10/2021 at 09:10, Kitkent said:

I have exactly the same problem on a resin D type Jag,it must be cars that are sprayed in BRG.........

Chris.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that BRG is unlucky.

y4mlSgq4e0PbsM0Digi1IfiC602ZvIhoELQ9PGVJ

Not looking too bad, as sprayed, having been left a few days to cure.

y4mR8P1MAKCOM79pwcUNpqAXtDQBZ5SrhuMuCWen

Other side.

y4mB6zIq-xo4r38mjCSJ9K-EUrS8TFsTYijhNehj

After a bit of a polish.

y4mMKltH8xO4_aMR06y8UFUqRdIeWJDP07gft_Tz

Despite being gentle, even fine compound was too much here.

y4mET4sum-TRqB_MXJHuexRW26bM4tqX1CWx4fko

Oh and the light blue one hasn't been  forgotten.  It's been rubbed down ready for some more blue paint.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Painting continues to throw up challenges.

y4mpA_3kMqz-EVxMJ0_FOraL9f93hTQOjy_4zk__

This is the green Jaguar.

y4m7Jh_JFg8nRyPUpE6tFYk5NScEMx-od1GwiWBr

It's not perfect but I think it'll do.

y4mlZoZroxVp8r-B-KQ08GsFwnr3C8nv_bhm0k51

The blue one looks OK from here.

y4mllIdw_Z_mu4ZtJKISbUnagpTun_s1WLxvRDxM

Alas, when I'd painted the body I managed to slip and drop the plastic cover that I use to keep dust off while the paint was drying.

y4mzBufv6IkGq8NJQJYUZnXpzilte-B_MmMbOP4d

That's not good.

y4m8wu8za6lnZ-4s7Y6DneeSu5YnjXNGGIVyOaZU

Rather than spray the whole thing I decided to mask up and just paint the boot lid.

• Sad 5

I think we've all been there, done that at some point John - good luck with the touch up spray job, I'm sure she'll look as good as new after it.... :)

Apologies if I can't see for looking as I went back through the thread, but what paint is that lovely light blue?

Keith 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I think we've all been there, done that at some point John - good luck with the touch up spray job, I'm sure she'll look as good as new after it.... :)

Apologies if I can't see for looking as I went back through the thread, but what paint is that lovely light blue?

Keith 

Thanks Keith, I can't remember if I said but the paint is Ford Bermuda/Light Blue from a Halfords spray can.  It looks to me like a fairly good match for the light blue of a Jaguar XK120 I saw in a magazine article, it's also a reasonable match for the light blue in the Gulf racing colours.

• Thanks 1

Today was a day for messing around with wheels.  The plan for the green XK was a sort of resto-mod look and I purchased some K&R Replicas Dunlop wheels which are designed to sit on solid brass axles, so some adaptation is required to fit them to the Revell kit plastic axles.  The logical solution (to me, at least) is to drill out the plastic axles to accommodate pieces of brass rod on which the wheels will mount.

y4mdEaMHFGHWjYFEc-tBcNjhDQB7wDlD86PKioms

To provide a solid support I decided to drill through the wheel centre to give plenty of depth for eventually gluing the wheel to the brass axle.  The knock-off spinners will hide the hole on the finished model, although I actually quite like the look without the spinner.

y4m1bcxizbR8AYG2A2qvCoN86MA8hXp5jGeWr_7_

The holes were drilled by eye but at least the axle ends had a flat-ish surface to help find more or less the centre.

y4mjFnOGeEoQAkeDNWT5rxBbp6P1-F6Z4uJTYPz1

Checking for clearance, the wheels are quite tight to the body.

y4me3-ZX9l5MYKokP3PCV6XNxF_zo5hUl0y-Chls

Another view showing how tight it is.  The axle ends will be filed down to move the wheels slightly further in to the body.

y4mHEY4Yf-P_vw1HJurHG4h_2kVRVsf0bc_Lsf-1

At the front it is a similar story, some material will need removing to give a bit more clearance.

y4mbyE_A7OO4FE5XXsfY2v4U7lFeyDCGBuJCmZqq

And after a bit of filing, with the brass axles cut down it seems to give the desired result.  When I tested it on a flat surface it even seemed to sit with all four tyres on the ground.  Seeing it like this makes me think that it might turn out as a half decent model.

• Like 10